Outlaw Rogue Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Outlaw Rogue Talents as you level up
Talents are passives or abilities that you can choose from to optimize your character or change how some of your regular abilities work.
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Quick Draw
- Level 25: Hit and Run or Retractable Hook if you enjoy using Grappling Hook to get around.
- Level 30: Marked for Death
- Level 35: Iron Stomach
- Level 40: Prey on the Weak
- Level 45: Alacrity
- Level 50: Blade Rush
Rotation to Level Up as an Outlaw Rogue
Cast Stealth if you want to get to to quest objective without fighting all enemies, while it does not offer any combat benefit for some time, it is still very useful for leveling.
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main attack ability: Sinister Strike.
- Cast Eviscerate once you have 4+ Combo Points to spend them.
- Use Sinister Strike to build up Combo Points.
- Use Marked for Death from Stealth on the mob you intend to kill first. Once you kill this target, keep using Marked for Death and use your Combo Points to quickly finish off the remaining enemies. When used from stealth you will want to use these Combo Points to refresh your Slice and Dice.
- Cast Ambush when you can open from Stealth.
- Use Adrenaline Rush on cooldown. Ideally you want to try and pull multiple enemies when it is up, so that you do not waste its uptime on running between enemies.
- When fighting more than one enemy, use Blade Flurry.
- Cast Roll the Bones whenever it is off cooldown. If your previous Roll the Bones granted you Ruthless Precision, Grand Melee, Broadside or 2 or more buffs, do not re-use this ability until those buffs have expired.
- Cast Slice and Dice to spend your Combo Points and maintain the buff.
- Cast Blade Rush on cooldown. It generates Energy and allows you to close in on enemies. Remember that this has good synergy with Blade Flurry when fighting more than one enemy.
- Use Between the Eyes with 4+ Combo Points.
- Cast Eviscerate to spend excess Combo Points.
- Cast Dispatch to spend excess Combo Points.
- Cast Pistol Shot when you get an Opportunity proc, unless it will cause you to overcap Combo Points.
- Cast Sinister Strike unless you have 4+ Combo Points.
Outlaw Rogue Defensive Abilities while Leveling
Outlaw Rogues have a few tools at their disposal that make fighting multiple enemies easier or that allow you to avoid debilitating effects.
- Kick allows you to interrupt an enemy that is casting a spell. Use this frequently to avoid the damage you would otherwise be taking if the spell cast finishes.
- Kick allows you to interrupt an enemy that is casting a spell. Use this frequently to avoid the damage you would otherwise be taking if the spell cast finishes. Gouge works very similar and can also disrupt abilities that are immune to regular interrupts. Many enemies will however immediately re-cast these skills, but it can be useful to get your Kick back up just in time.
- Crimson Vial lets you heal 20% of your max Health over 4 seconds. Use this whenever you need the healing or between pulls.
- Sap lets you control any Humanoid, Beast, Demon or Dragon for up to 60 seconds. Use this to keep a single enemy from joining the fight before you open on a group of enemies from stealth. This crowd control breaks when the enemy takes damage. Try to avoid hitting it with any of your abilities that hit multiple targets or it will join the fight.
- Kidney Shot can be used to stun a single opponent for up to 6 seconds. Use this to interrupt a dangerous cast or to simply not take damage from an enemy. Some NPCs might be immune to stuns.
- Evasion increases your chance to dodge incoming melee and ranged attacks by 100% for 10 seconds. Use this whenever it is available to you while you are fighting multiple enemies. You can only dodge enemy attacks when facing them.
- Vanish removes you from sight. Thiswat essentially resets all enemies you are in combat with. If you happen to be close to dying and you do not feel that using any other defensive or offensive ability might let you finish off all the enemies you are engaged with, use Vanish to survive.
- Blind allows you to control an enemy for up to 60 seconds. This can be used from stealth or outside of it. The crowd-control effect breaks when the target takes damage, so make sure to not hit it with any of your AoE abilities or using Blind when the enemy is afflicted with one of your damage over time effects.
- Cloak of Shadows removes and makes you immune to magical effects for 5 seconds. This allows you to potentially remove damage over time effects that could break your Stealth, allow you to take less damage or simply avoid certain crowd control or damaging effects.
Outlaw Rogue War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Outlaw Rogue-specific PvE talents.
Outlaw Rogue PvP Talents for Leveling
- Take Your Cut causes you and allies within 8 yards to gain 15% Haste for 8 seconds after you use Roll the Bones. It is fairly good, since it acts as a mini- Adrenaline Rush and has decent uptime when you are questing in the open world.
- Boarding Party makes Between the Eyes increase the movement speed of all friendly players within 10 yards by 30% for 5 seconds. Movement speed is always nice while leveling, so this highly recommended.
- Cheap Tricks reduces the cost of your Pistol Shot by 100% for 5 seconds after using Between the Eyes. You can use Pistol Shot repeatedly to generate Combo Points while this buff is active if you are low on Energy.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Guide added.
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 5: Boss Damage Only Rankings Added
- Player Loots One of the Rarest Item in WoW
- A Different Kind of AFK Story
- WoW Patch Timeline from Vanilla to Shadowlands Patch 9.1
- Potentially Infinite Breath of Sindragosa Bug
- Elwynn Forest Without the Trees
- Covenants Per Spec in Castle Nathria and Mythic+ for Top Players
- Animated Ulna World Quest Up on US Servers!