Retribution Paladin Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 1 to 70 (Dragonflight 10.2)
In general, you will want to equip the highest item level gear you happen to pick up as you level. Retribution cares a lot more about Strength than any specific combination of secondary stats, and you will generally replace any gear very quickly as you continue to level.
Retribution Paladin Leveling Talents and Rotation
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up With as a Retribution Paladin
This is our recommended talent tree up to level 70.
Rotation to Level Up With as a Retribution Paladin
When creating your Paladin, you only have one ability: Crusader Strike. It is your first Holy Power generator. At level 2, you will unlock Shield of the Righteous, your first Holy Power spender. At level 3, you gain Judgment. Consecration is unlocked at level 6. At Level 9, you learn the class ability Hand of Reckoning, a 30-yard range taunt on an 8-second cooldown. Use this long-range taunt to pull more mobs when you no longer have long-range damage abilities. At level 10 you can officially spec into Retribution and gain access to Templar's Verdict. From now you need to switch to a Two-Handed weapon. Otherwise, you will not be able to use your new abilities. Say goodbye to Shield of the Righteous, because you will never waste Holy Power on it again.
- Cast Crusader Strike on cooldown as long as you have 4 or less Holy Power.
- Cast Shield of the Righteous once you have 3 or more Holy Power generated.
- Cast Judgment on cooldown.
- Cast Consecration.
Starting at Level 10, you can queue for dungeons with the in-game group finder. Always queue as DPS, so you have the proper training environment to practice your Retribution kit at your given level in a dungeon situation. To understand in-depth how to use this Retribution kit, especially when reaching higher levels, check out our rotation page, but we have added a short version below:
- Cast Avenging Wrath: Might.
- Cast Final Reckoning.
- Cast Shield of Vengeance when taking damage.
- Follow the priority list below until you have at least 3 Holy Power.
- Cast Wake of Ashes if you have 2 or less Holy Power.
- Cast Divine Toll if you have 1 or less Holy Power.
- Cast Blade of Justice.
- Cast Judgment.
- Cast Templar Strikes / Templar Slash.
- Cast Hammer of Wrath.
- Cast Crusader Strike.
- Cast Consecration.
- Once you reached 3 or more Holy Power, you want to switch to the second priority list below, which is used to spend Holy Power and use cooldowns that buff your Holy Power spenders.
- Cast Divine Storm against 2 or more targets.
- Cast Templar's Verdict against a single target.
Retribution Paladin War Mode Talents for Leveling
Here, you will find information on the best PvP talents for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content.
Retribution Paladin PvP Talents for Leveling
- Lawbringer causes Judgment to apply an additional debuff to targets hit for 1 minute. Casting Judgment again causes all enemies with your Lawbringer effect suffer up to 4% of their maximum Health in Holy damage.
- Aura of Reckoning will occasionally proc a few seconds of Avenging Wrath and buff your next auto-attack.
- Luminescence buffs your damage and healing by a small amount when you heal yourself.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1.7.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- One THOUSAND+ Pull Dramatic Tindral Mythic Kill by Skyline
- Wowdle: World of Warcraft Wordle-Style Game
- Illidari Doomhawk Available for Purchase with Timewarped Badges
- Tabard of Fury Available to Amazon Prime Subscribers This Month
- Patch 10.2 Week 4 Guide: A Comprehensive To-Do List for Season 3 Week 3
- Item Level of Timewalking Rewards in Dragonflight Season 3
- Second Catalyst Charge Available This Week on Live Servers
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 27th