Day of the Dead Guide for World of Warcraft
Table of Contents
- 1. Dead Man's Party Achievement
- 2. Whimsical Skull Mask
- 3. Macabre Marionette
- 4. Costume Combat
- 5. Translations
- 6. Changelog
Day of the Dead is the in-game counterpart of the Mexican Day of the Dead celebration.
Lasting only 3 days, this event is very short and rewards players that participate with an achievement, Dead Man's Party, as well as with a pet, Macabre Marionette, and a temporary mask, Whimsical Skull Mask, both of which being only usable during the event.
In 2023, you can buy Cliffside Wylderdrake: Day of the Dead Armor from Day of the Dead vendors for 50,000 gold. This is a saddle for your Dragonriding Drake.
In 2014, new achievements were added and they consist in wearing costumes sold by Chapman and defeat other costume-wearing players in combat. You will find explanations in our Costume Combat section.
Dead Man's Party Achievement
The main attraction of the event is the Dead Man's Party achievement, which is obtained by dancing (/dance) with Catrina, an NPC named after La Calavera Catrina. She then turns you into a skeleton.
Catrina can be found in the graveyards of all major cities:
- Alliance Capital Cities:
- Darnassus: inside the city (at coordinates 69,40), where the map says Warrior's Terrace;
- Exodar: outside of the city (at coordinates 48,56), just south of Azure Watch;
- Ironforge: in Dun Morogh (at coordinates 61,37), just outside of the city;
- Stormwind: in the cemetery behind the cathedral (at coordinates 47,26).
- Horde Capital Cities:
- Orgrimmar: just south of the city (at coordinates 47,18), on the road to Razor Hill;
- Silvermoon City: just outside of the city, far west along the wall (at coordinates 48,50);
- Thunder Bluff: just north of the northern elevators (at coordinates 57,19);
- Undercity: in the Ruins of Lordaeron (at coordinates 68,11), right after the entrance.
- Neutral Capital Cities:
- Dalaran: inside the city (at coordinates 34,38), on the grass patch, right of the stairs to the Violet Citadel.
- Shattrath: in Terokkar Forest (at coordinates 40,22), just east of the city.
Make sure to choose a Neutral graveyard or the graveyard of your race's home city, as the rest of the event can only be done there. Worgens need to go to Darnassus and Goblins need to go to Orgrimmar. For Pandarens, it looks as if only a Neutral graveyard will work.
Whimsical Skull Mask
Whimsical Skull Mask is a mask that can be bought from Chapman and that can only be worn during the event.
Macabre Marionette is a pet that you can obtain by following the steps described below.
- Acquire Recipe: Bread of the Dead from Chapman, who stands next to Catrina.
- Learn the recipe (it counts towards the Iron Chef achievement).
- Make a Bread of the Dead.
- Purchase a Bouquet of Orange Marigolds or a Orange Marigold from Chapman.
- Use whichever of the two items you bought so that you can see the Cheerful Spirit and accept his The Grateful Dead quest.
- Complete the quest by giving your piece of Bread of the Dead to the spirit (this counts towards the 3000 Quests Completed achievement).
- Receive your Macabre Marionette pet.
Important note: it seems that this quest can only be done in your race's home city. For example, Night Elves can only do the quests in Darnassus.
In 2014, Chapman started selling costumes for 100 :
- "Blooming Rose" Contender's Costume;
- "Night Demon" Contender's Costume;
- "Purple Phantom" Contender's Costume;
- "Santo's Sun" Contender's Costume;
- "Snowy Owl" Contender's Costume.
When you use one of these costumes, it applies a buff on you that reduces healing taken by 100% and allows other costume-wearing players to attack you (and vice-versa). Players wearing costumes can only attack each other using the 3 special abilities that wearing a costume gives them. These special abilities can be cast using an extra action bar button, but there is only one button and the ability you can cast changes every time you use the button.
The possible abilities are:
- Quick Punch, which has a 1-second cast time and deals damage equivalent to 10% of their health to other players in front of you;
- Strong Sweep, which has a 1.5-second cast time and deals damage equivalent to 20% of their health to other players in a 4-yard cone in front of you and knocks them down for 1.5 seconds;
- Jump Attack, which has a 1-second cast time and causes you to jump forward towards your enemies, dealing damage equivalent to 30% of their health to other players and knocking them down for 3 seconds.
There are 3 achievements associated to defeating players while wearing costumes:
- To The Afterlife, after defeating 1 player;
- Vientos!, after defeating 20 players;
- Calavera, after defeating 50 players.
- 02 Nov. 2023: Guide updated for 2023.
- 01 Nov. 2017: Fixed Whimsical Skull Mask image.
- 01 Nov. 2014: Added new 2014 achievements.
- 01 Nov. 2013: Macabre Marionette is now a proper pet (was a temporary pet before).
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)
- Marksmanship Hunter PvE
- Heirlooms Overview
- Restoration Druid Leveling
- Mistweaver Monk PvE
- Balance Druid PvE