Demon Hunter Shadowlands Leveling Guide from 8 to 60
Table of Contents
- 1. Leveling 8-60 as a Demon Hunter in Shadowlands
- 2. Best Leveling Spec for Demon Hunter in Shadowlands
- 3. Ability Unlocks for Demon Hunter Leveling in Shadowlands
- 4. Changelog
Leveling 8-60 as a Demon Hunter in Shadowlands
Welcome to our Demonhunter leveling guide. Here you will find all you need to know to level up your Demonhunter efficiently. Leveling received a lot of changes in Shadowlands, which we have documented in our Shadowlands Leveling Changes page. In addition, we now have a revamped Leveling guide, complete with detailed information on XP, mounts, addons, consumables, tips, and more. We encourage to read it to increase your leveling speed even more.
Demon Hunter is a melee specialization with two different specs. Havoc is the melee damage dealing spec, that excels at pulling large groups of enemies and bursting them down with Eye Beam and Blade Dance. Vengeance is the tank build for Demon Hunter, that excels in mobility and self sustain through spawning lesser soul fragments.
Best Leveling Spec for Demon Hunter in Shadowlands
Both specs excel at leveling and have limited downtime between pulls and quests. Either option is a great choice and whether you play Havoc or Vengeance will come down to personal preference.
Havoc Demon Hunter excels at pulling large groups of enemies on 30-second intervals to take full advantage of having Eye Beam available. Eye Beam will melt down full groups. Sustain is a little harder early in the leveling process, but enemies will have a chance to drop souls on death, due to Shattered Souls. These extra souls will make healing between pulls easy and rarely require food to top back off. At Level 35, Soul Rending will help with passive Leech healing and Demonic at Level 50 will transform you into Metamorphosis after Eye Beam for additional healing. For a full breakdown of abilities, please visit the Havoc leveling guide below.
Vengeance Demon Hunter excels at pulling large group of enemies and being able to sustain through lesser soul fragment healing and pure tankiness. The speed in which Vengeance is able to clear a group of enemies is slower than our Havoc counterpart, but there is less of a risk of dying. Vengeance is able to self-heal from Level 10 through Shear. Vengeance is the optimal choice when trying to solo elite content or monsters. Vengeance also makes dungeon queue times short, due to tanks being an often sought after role. For a full break down of Vengeance leveling, please visit the link below.
Ability Unlocks for Demon Hunter Leveling in Shadowlands
- At Level 8, Spectral Sight is available as a utility ability that allows you to see enemies or chests through walls, as well as stealthed enemies.
- At Level 8, Shattered Souls is available. For both specs, souls will have a chance to spawn on enemy death and demon souls will give a 20% damage increase for 15 seconds. For Vengeance, lesser soul fragments will heal you for 6% of the total damage taken in the last 5 seconds. This provides excellent sustain while leveling.
- At Level 9, Torment will taunt a target, giving the highest threat and forcing the enemy to focus you.
- At Level 13, Demonic Wards will lower the damage received by 10%.
- At Level 13, Demonic Wards will lower the damage received by 15%.
- At Level 14, Immolation Aura covers you in fire, causing an initial burst of Fire damage when cast and ticking Fire damage over 6 seconds.
- At Level 14, Metamorphosis is unlocked via a quest in the Demon Hunter starting area. Havoc players will jump and land on enemies, stunning them for 3 seconds and causing chaos damage. You will remain in Metamorphosis for 30 seconds, which will empower Chaos Strike and Blade Dance.
- At Level 14, Metamorphosis is unlocked via a quest in the Demon Hunter starting area. Player will turn into a demon for 15 seconds increasing maxmium health by 15% and armor by 200%. Additionally, Shear and Fracture will generate an additional lesser soul fragment and 20 additional Fury.
- At Level 17, Consume Magic will purge 1 beneficial magic effect from the target and generate 20 Fury.
- At Level 19, Throw Glaive is used to pull far away enemies. Vengeance will also generate additional threat.
- At Level 29, Disrupt will interrupt and lock out a caster for 3 seconds on a 15-second cooldown. A successful interrupt will generate 30 Fury.
- At Level 34, Imprison will shackle any enemy humanoid, demon or beast for 1 minute on a 45 second cooldown. This will not put you into combat allowing for PvE creature skipping.
- At Level 49, Chaos Brand will debuff every target that receives damage that increases the amount of magic damage received by 5%. This is a unique debuff to Demon Hunter which makes the class mandatory in all raids that are trying to maximize damage.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Revamped page for Shadowlands, with subpages for each spec.
- 13 Jan. 2019: Removed legacy link, added note about 8.3 catch up gear to 120 note.
- 28 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Crucible of Storms release and no changes are necessary.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Consistency updates to give all leveling guides a similar feel.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Added Vengeance advice.
- 10 Aug. 2018: Revamped Leveling guide for Battle for Azeroth.
- Get Your Legion Paragon Chest Rewards Now With Massively Boosted Drops!
- Patch 9.2: Paladin Tier Set Preview
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Patch 9.1.5 (Week #4)
- Jaina Vs. Anduin in the Sylvanas Fight: An "Epic" Battle
- Sepulcher of the First Ones Raid Weapon Visual Preview (Video)
- Icy Veins Black Friday Giveaway!
- New Gladiator PvP Trinkets in Patch 9.2
- A Preview of Wombat Mounts Coming in Patch 9.2
- Arms Warrior Shadowlands
- The Skywalkers Guild Recruiting PvPers
- Enhancement Shaman Shadowlands
- Brewmaster Monk Shadowlands
- Mythic+ DPS Tier List
- Havoc Demon Hunter PvP 9.0.5
- Patch 9.2 Guide
- Marksmanship Hunter PvP 9.0.5