Outlaw Rogue PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.1)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Rogue PvP guide.
Outlaw Rogues in the Current Meta
Outlaw Rogues have very high sustained damage, excellent crowd control tools. and multiple ways to reduce the cooldown of key abilities such as Blind or Vanish, allowing them to desync their offensive abilities from the enemy defensive toolkit and trinkets. It will be almost impossible for the enemy team to know when the Outlaw Rogue will next have their powerful cooldowns available, making it very hard to counter them and allowing the Outlaw Rogue to land a kill. Patch 9.1 also made Outlaw Rogues a lot more tanky especially versus other melees, giving them more time to find a kill.
Noteworthy Patch 9.1 Changes
- Sinister Strike now deals 20% more damage in PvP (was 10%).
- The Honor Talent Enduring Brawler has been added.
- The Honor Talent Float Like a Butterfly has been added.
- The Honor Talent Control is King has been redesigned and now allows Cheap Shot to grant 15s of Slice and Dice and Kidney Shot to refund 10 Energy per Combo Point.
- The Honor Talent Thick as Thieves has been redesigned and now only increases the ally's damage by 15% (was 10% and 10% for the Rogue).
- The Honor Talent Maneuverability has been slightly buffed and now removes roots upon use.
- The Honor Talent Plunder Armor has been removed.
- The Cloaked in Shadows Conduit has been nerfed and now lasts up to 4s (was permanent).
- The Mark of the Master Assassin Legendary has been nerfed and now lasts 2.4 seconds in PvP combat (was 4 seconds).
Strengths of Outlaw Rogues
- Great control
- Great sustained damage
- Good mobility
- Excellent utility
Weaknesses of Outlaw Rogues
- No defensive abilities when stunned
- Average burst damage in a very high burst-oriented meta
- Reliant on luck regarding Roll the Bones
- Suffers greatly from loss of uptime because of Restless Blades
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Outlaw Rogue PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Outlaw Rogue PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Outlaw Rogue PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Outlaw Rogue PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Outlaw Rogue PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Outlaw Rogues in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Outlaw Rogue PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Outlaw Rogues.
- On the Outlaw Rogue Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Outlaw Rogues, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 25 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 27 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Removed old Azerite mentions and updated gear page.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page.
- Druid Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- The Death of 10 Man Competitive Raiding (Video)
- How to Catch Up on Companion XP in Patch 9.1.5
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622 Class Changes
- Patch 9.1.5 and 9.2 Release Date Predictions
- Lightforged Ruinstrider (Lightforged Draenei Paladin Mount) in Patch 9.1.5
- Warlock Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622)
- Shaman Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5