Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Protection Warrior gear and best in slot.
Gearing Early in Shadowlands
The best pieces of gear you can find will come from the Weekly Mythic+ chest which is now known as the Great Vault, and from Mythic raiding. Before these are available the best place to get gear from is doing your Covenant quests and Mythic 0 / Heroic dungeons. While you can only do one of each Mythic 0 dungeon a week, you can do multiple Heroic dungeons.
Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
While a definitive BiS list is hard to create, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes, there are rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, rings, and gear with special effects, etc.
Gear from Sanctum of Domination
Noteworthy trinkets from Sanctum of Domination are linked below.
- Reactive Defense Matrix — drops from Guardian of the First Ones. Solid defensive trinket in multi-target scenarios like Mythic+.
- Tormented Rack Fragment — drops from Painsmith Raznal, needs Fury/Arms lootspec to loot it; a solid offensive trinket.
For Plate wearers the gear pieces with Domination sockets are as follows.
Ideally we would equip all 5 of these items for a maximum number of Shards as the bonuses these provide are significant.
Shards and 3-set Bonuses
Blood Link from the Blood shards is the best choice for Protection Warriors. If gaining access to the 3-set bonus as fast as possible is your goal then focus on gathering these Blood shards first.
For the other 2 Domination Shard slots the most notable options are found below.
- Shard of Cor — provides you with a damage boost after attacking a new enemy
- Shard of Dyz — provides a small stacking damage boost
Since you do not get the benefits from the set bonus in Mythic+ you can use a mix of all the Shards for the most benefit.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
Gear from Dungeons
Trinkets from Dungeons for Protection Warriors
The following list has the most noteworthy dungeon trinkets available for Warriors.
- Codex of the First Technique — A really solid defensive trinket that is definitely worth using.
- Blood-Spattered Scale — Arguably the most influential dungeon trinket available for us.
- Anima Field Emitter
- Phial of Putrefaction — Requires Arms/Fury lootspec
- Viscera of Coalesced Hatred
Not all the trinkets available to us are linked here but these are the most noteworthy ones. The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Spiritual Alchemy Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
With Patch 9.0.5, we now have the ability to upgrade Mythic dungeon gear with Valor Points. This is a great way for people who do not raid to keep up with the item levels. If you would like to know more about Valor Points and where to get them, look into the following link.Valor
When it comes to upgrade priority then the first things to be upgraded should be trinkets. You can get higher item level loot for other slots fairly easily from Raids or PvP so upgrading trinkets is the way to go. Any of the trinkets mentioned in the dungeon trinket list above is a solid upgrade candidate. Besides trinkets, Sin Stained Pendant is another good option to use your Valor points on as this neck provides us with a lot of good stats.
When ever you get a new piece of gear be sure to enchant it if possible. The best enchants for us can be found in the page linked below.
Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
In Shadowlands, legendary powers have multiple slots in which they can go to, this way you can decide for yourself in which of the slots you would like the specific legendary in. There are many things to consider when deciding which slot to use for a specific legendary, as some of the items may have sockets and some also have higher stat budgets than others. You can find out how to obtain the Legendaries by visiting the Runecarving guide.
To find out which Legendaries are the best for Protection Warriors look into our Legendary page which contains information on all the various powers.
Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is the most important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other slots.
Shields from Sanctum of Domination are generally the best bet as they are the highest item level. There are 3 shields in total from the raid, you can find them ordered from best to worst below:
- Guard of the Sundered Defender — Sylvanas Windrunner
- Moriaz's Spare Targe — The Tarragrue
- Infinity's Last Bulwark — Guardian of the First Ones
You can also acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Great Vault weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons in rough order from best to worst, considering same item level:
- Barricade of the Endless Empire, looted from Modretha, the Endless Empress in Theater of Pain.
- Acidslough Bulwark, looted from Tred'ova in Mists of Tirna Scithe.
- Package Protector, looted from Mailroom Mayhem in Tazavesh, the Veiled Market.
- Encrusted Canopic Lid, looted from Surgeon Stichflesh in The Necrotic Wake.
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 09 Jul. 2021: Swapped suggested raiding trinket for Old Warrior's Soul.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 22 Jun. 2021: Updated for 9.1
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added section about Valor Points.
- 02 Feb. 2021: Removed Pulsating Stoneheart and Slimy Consumptive Organ from the dungeon trinket list.
- 07 Jan. 2021: Added Anima Field Emitter as the primary dungeon trinket over Phial of Putrefaction.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Added Castle Nathria Best in Slot list and additional information about Raid Trinkets.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Replaced Battle for Azeroth sections with Legendary sections and added new Best in Slot and Trinket list.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power