Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5.
1. Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
Firstly, there is no such thing as an overall "Best in Slot" list anymore. This is for a number of reasons. The main one being that Warforging/Titanforing exists. You could try to go for specific gear that has certain stats, but if you come across different gear that Titanforges to be +15 item levels, then you will, of course, want to go with that gear. Secondly, certain gear is great in certain situations, and not so great outside those situations. Everything is situational, so trying to come up with a list for gear that is "best" in all situations would not be possible. All gear has the potential to be competitive. Point being, there is a lot of gear that has the opportunity to Warforge/Titanforge, gain a socket, be situationally useful, etc. Making a best in slot list for every slot would be pointless and unhelpful.
You can, of course, look at the loot tables for specific dungeons/bosses and try to farm for a specific piece with your best stats in hopes that it Titanforges, but since the chance for that is so low, your time would be better spent doing something else, such as farming Azerite.
Now, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes there are necks or rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, gear with special effects, etc.
The above guidelines do not apply to Azerite gear (that is, the helm, shoulder, and chest slots). There is specific Azerite gear you will want to go for.
2. Azerite Gear for Protection Warriors
For information about what Azerite traits to choose and what the best items are, see our Azerite page.
3. Trinkets for Protection Warriors
The following list ranks the most noteworthy trinkets available for survivability from best to worst, assuming equal item level.
- Diamond-Laced Refracting Prism, looted from Opulence in Battle of Dazar'alor.
- Jes' Howler, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Rezan's Gleaming Eye, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- Vial of Animated Blood, looted from Unbound Abomination in The Underrot.
- Ramping Amplitude Gigavolt Engine, looted from High Tinker Mekkatorque in Battle of Dazar'alor.
The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Eternal Alchemist Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
Any trinket not listed is either not worth using over the above options, or would require an extremely high Titanforge to be competitive.
4. Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is a rather important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other non-Azerite slots.
There are two shields that you can acquire from Battle of Dazar'alor:
- Sunburst Crest, looted from Champion of the Light.
- Blockade Bulwark, looted from Stormwall Blockade.
Sunburst Crest has slightly better stats.
You can also acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Mythic+ weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons in rough order from best to worst:
- Disc of Indomitable Will, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- G0-4W4Y Crowd Repeller, looted from Coin-Operated Crowd Pummeler in The Motherlode.
- Improvised Riot Shield, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Bulwark of Brimming Potential, looted from Galvazzt in Temple of Sethraliss.
- Targe of the Ancient Warder, looted from Sporecaller Zancha in The Underrot.
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for BfA Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and there are no changes necessary for Patch 8.1.
- 10 Sep. 2018: Updated gear suggestions for Uldir.
- 22 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions. Added Shields section.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Hide All Slots Except Pants Option Coming in Patch 8.2
- Loot Trading in Classic WoW
- Draught of Ten Lands Exploit Ban Wave: March 22nd
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: March 21st
- Live Developer Q&A Roundup: March 21st
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Tiger's Peak Arena Temporarily Disabled
- Crucible of Storms Item Tuning
- Prismatic Socket
- Brawler's Guild - Sanoriak
- Druid Leveling Guide
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.1
- Arms Warrior PvP 8.1
- Contact player-different server
- looking for a late night raiding guild
- So long and thanks for all the fish.....