Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.0.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.0.5.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Tank Warrior gear and best in slot.
Gearing Early in Shadowlands
The best pieces of gear you can find will come from the Weekly Mythic+ chest which is now known as the Great Vault, and from Mythic raiding. Before these are available the best place to get gear from is doing your Covenant quests and Mythic 0 / Heroic dungeons. While you can only do one of each Mythic 0 dungeon a week, you can do multiple Heroic dungeons.
Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
While a definitive BiS list is hard to create, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes, there are rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, rings, and gear with special effects, etc.
Gear from Castle Nathria
Weapon and Shield Tokens from Castle Nathria
Weapons and Shields do not directly drop from Castle Nathria, but rather you will get a token from certain bosses. These tokens can be exchanged for a weapon or a shield in your Covenants sanctum. Each Covenant has a different name for their weapon and Shield, so just pick the one which has Haste on it, as the other secondary stat does not matter as much.
Trinkets from Castle Nathria
Noteworthy trinkets from Castle Nathria are linked below.
- Sanguine Vintage — Drops from Sire Denathrius. Provides a fairly solid absorb on a 1-minute cooldown, which also heals you if it still has some absorb left after it times out.
- Stone Legion Heraldry — Drops from Stone Legion Generals. This is a really strong all around defensive choice that gets stronger the more people use it. If you do not need the on-demand absorb type of trinkets then this is the perfect defensive replacement.
- Macabre Sheet Music — Drops from The Council of Blood. Provides a huge amount of haste but unfortunately you will have to move around to collect all of the stacks. This still has the potential to be useful as long as you can use it freely.
- Skulker's Wing — Drops from Shriekwing. A really good offensive option on a fairly short cooldown.
- Dreadfire Vessel — Drops from Sire Denathrius. Requires Arms/Fury to loot. This is a purely offensive trinket that deals a lot of damage on a fairly short cooldown.
Gear from Dungeons
|Head||Wrathbark Greathelm||Mists of Tirna Scithe|
|Neck||Sin Stained Pendant||Halls of Atonement|
|Shoulders||Unyielding Combatant's Pauldrons||Theater of Pain|
|Cloak||Drape of Twisted Loyalties||Spires of Ascension|
|Chest||Breastplate of Otherworldly Influence||Halls of Atonement|
|Wrists||Vambraces of the Depraved Warden||Sanguine Depths|
|Belt||Girdle of the Soulflayer||De Other Side|
|Legs||Galvanized Oxxein Legguards||Theater of Pain|
|Ring #1||Death God's Signet||De Other Side|
|Ring #2||Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet||The Necrotic Wake|
|Trinket #1||Blood-Spattered Scale||De Other Side|
|Trinket #2||Anima Field Emitter||Spires of Ascension|
|Weapon||Engorged Worm Smasher||The Necrotic Wake|
|Shield||Barricade of the Endless Empire||Theater of Pain|
Trinkets from Dungeons for Protection Warriors
The following list has the most noteworthy dungeon trinkets available for Warriors.
- Blood-Spattered Scale — Arguably the most influential dungeon trinket available for us.
- Anima Field Emitter
- Phial of Putrefaction — Requires Arms/Fury lootspec
- Viscera of Coalesced Hatred
Not all the trinkets available to us are linked here but these are the most noteworthy ones. The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Spiritual Alchemy Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
With Patch 9.0.5, we now have the ability to upgrade Mythic dungeon gear with Valor Points. This is a great way for people who do not raid to keep up with the item levels. If you would like to know more about Valor Points and where to get them, look into the following link.Valor
When it comes to upgrade priority then the first things to be upgraded should be trinkets. You can get higher item level loot for other slots fairly easily from Raids or PvP so upgrading trinkets is the way to go. Any of the trinkets mentioned in the dungeon trinket list above is a solid upgrade candidate. Besides trinkets, Sin Stained Pendant is another good option to use your Valor points on as this neck provides us with a lot of good stats.
When ever you get a new piece of gear be sure to enchant it if possible. The best enchants for us can be found in the page linked below.
Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
In Shadowlands, legendary powers have multiple slots in which they can go to, this way you can decide for yourself in which of the slots you would like the specific legendary in. There are many things to consider when deciding which slot to use for a specific legendary, as some of the items may have sockets and some also have higher stat budgets than others. For example, The Wall can be slotted into Back and Shoulder. The Shoulder slot has a higher stat budget than the Back one, so that should be the one to use. You can find out how to obtain the Legendaries by visiting the Runecarving guide.
To find out which Legendaries are the best for Protection Warriors look into our Legendary page which contains information on all the various powers.
Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is the most important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other slots.
Shields from Castle Nathria drop in the form of Weapon tokens. Artificer Xy'Mox and Stone Legion Generals are the two bosses that have the chance to drop these tokens. Once you get them go to your Covenants sanctum and use them to buy a shield. As each Covenant has different naming for their shield we will not discuss them all here. In general you want to buy the shield that has Haste on it.
You can acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Great Vault weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons in rough order from best to worst:
- Barricade of the Endless Empire, looted from Modretha, the Endless Empress in Theater of Pain.
- Acidslough Bulwark, looted from Tred'ova in Mists of Tirna Scithe.
- Encrusted Canopic Lid, looted from Surgeon Stichflesh in The Necrotic Wake.
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added section about Valor Points.
- 02 Feb. 2021: Removed Pulsating Stoneheart and Slimy Consumptive Organ from the dungeon trinket list.
- 07 Jan. 2021: Added Anima Field Emitter as the primary dungeon trinket over Phial of Putrefaction.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Added Castle Nathria Best in Slot list and additional information about Raid Trinkets.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Replaced Battle for Azeroth sections with Legendary sections and added new Best in Slot and Trinket list.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Covenant Flying Mounts (All Variants) and Pepes Preview Video
- Burning Crusade Beta Notes: April 15th
- 9.1 Chains of Domination Intro Questline: Battle of Ardenweald Video
- Sanctum of Domination 9.1 Raid Sneak Peek Video Previews
- Mammoth Walk Animation Updated in Patch 9.1
- Mage Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- Dreadlords Are Returning in Patch 9.1
- Druid Class Changes in Patch 9.1 Build 38312
- Havoc Demon Hunter Shadowlands
- Balance Druid Balancing Guide is . . . sloppy?
- Death Knight Legendary Powers
- Restoration Shaman Shadowlands
- Fire Mage PvP 9.0.5
- Mythic+ Tank Tier List
- Frost Mage Shadowlands
- I made TellMeWhen rotations for all classes based on the guides here. Great for leveling