Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Protection Warrior gear and best in slot.
Gearing Early in Shadowlands
The best pieces of gear you can find will come from the Weekly Mythic+ chest which is now known as the Great Vault, and from Mythic raiding. Before these are available the best place to get gear from is doing your Covenant quests and Mythic 0 / Heroic dungeons. While you can only do one of each Mythic 0 dungeon a week, you can do multiple Heroic dungeons.
Puzzling Cartel Dinars
Puzzling Cartel Dinars are a Season 4 currency which can be used to purchase any of the Shadowlands raids' weapons or trinkets from a vendor located near the Great Vault. To obtain the Dinars you need to complete 3 quests, each of which will reward you with a single Dinar. The quest will be automatically started once you enter any of the Shadowlands raids after Season 4 starts.
- The first quest will require you to kill 30 Fated raid bosses for a single Dinar;
- The second quest will require you to kill 20 Fated raid bosses for a single Dinar;
- The third quest will require you to kill 10 Fated raid bosses for a single Dinar.
You will only get 3 Dinars in total so use them well!
In the list below you can see the 3 items that we think are worthy of being purchased with the Dinars. These are generally hard to get and provide significant benefits.
Tier set bonus for Protection Warrior
- Protection Warrior 2-Piece — Consuming 30 rage grants a stack of Seeing Red, which transforms into Outburst at 8 stacks, causing your next Shield Slam or Thunder Clap to be 200% more effective and grant Ignore Pain.
- Protection Warrior 4-Piece — Avatar increases your damage dealt by an additional 10% and decreases damage taken by 10%. Avatar instantly grants Outburst.
Both of these effects are really strong and you should aim to get them as fast as possible. You will see a noticeable difference in your performance as you obtain them. To help you better understand how the tier bonuses work and how they influence our rotation you can take a look at the guides below.
How to obtain the Tier set
There are various ways you can obtain your tier set. The most obvious one is from Sepulcher of the First Ones. In addition to just raiding you can also get access to tier pieces from your weekly Great Vault from Mythic+ and a new system called the Creation Catalyst.
The Creation Catalyst is a really neat system which basically allows you to craft your own tier pieces. All you need is some Cosmic Flux and a random piece of gear of the same slot as a tier set. Cosmic Flux can be obtained by just doing your every day activities in game, such as: Sepulcher of the First Ones, Mythic+, Torghast and Zereth Mortis activities.
As mentioned before you also need a gear piece of the same slot as the tier piece you are trying to craft. The slots where you can equip the tier-set are as follows:
As you notice there are 5 pieces of gear where the tier pieces can be equipped but only 4 are needed for the bonuses to work. We advise you to equip the following 4:
Taking all of the various ways you can obtain tier pieces into account, it should be a fairly smooth sailing to your tier bonus!
Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
While a definitive BiS list is hard to create, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes, there are rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, rings, and gear with special effects, etc.
Gear from Fated Raids
Season 4 brings with it a new mechanic called "Fated". This means that each week one of the raids will have a higher difficulty than the others while also providing higher item level loot. The table below considers that the pieces will be acquired when the raid that drops it is in its Fated Raids mode.
|Head||Diadem of Imperious Desire — convert to tier using Creation Catalyst||Sire Denathrius|
|Neck||Worldkiller Iris||The Jailer|
|Shoulders||Pauldrons of the Infinite Infantry||Lords of Dread|
|Cloak||Crest of the Legionnaire General||Stone Legion Generals|
|Chest||Breastplate of the Infinite Infantry||Rygelon|
|Wrists||Vyraz's Parade Cuffs||Kel'Thuzad|
|Gloves||Handguards of Hidden Realms||Rygelon|
|Belt||Disintegration-Proof Waistband||Guardian of the First Ones|
|Legs||Legguards of the Ultimate Threat — convert to tier using Creation Catalyst||The Jailer|
|Boots||Greaves of Haunting Ruination||Sylvanas|
|Ring #1||Most Regal Signet of Sire Denathrius||Sire Denathrius|
|Ring #2||Tarnished Insignia of Quel'Thalas||Sylvanas|
|Shield||Ruined Crest of Lordaeron||Lords of Dread|
Noteworthy trinkets from Fated Raids are linked below.
- Shard of Annhylde's Aegis — drops from The Nine. Very strong defensive option for most scenarios.
- Reactive Defense Matrix — drops from Guardian of the First Ones. A solid option that provides defensive and offensive capabilities.
- Old Warrior's Soul — drops from Sylvanas and is one of the best all around trinkets you can get.
- Elegy of the Eternals — drops from Prototype Pantheon. Provides you with a lot of your highest secondary stat. This trinket is really solid both offensively and defensively.
However, as of Patch 9.2, Domination Sockets only work in The Maw, Korthia, and Torghast. Torghast would be the only place where you would realistically gain something from wearing the Domination Socketed gear, even if it is a item level downgrade. The 3-shard bonus is still strong and can help you deal with Torghast faster.
If you would like to know more about the Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this system:
Example Gear from Dungeons
|Head||Helm of Phantasmal Scars||Lower Karazhan|
|Neck||Cabochon of the Infinite Flight||Tazavesh, the Veiled Market|
|Shoulders||Rivet-Sealed Shoulderplates||Iron Docks|
|Cloak||Duplicating Drape||Tazavesh, the Veiled Market|
|Chest||Novaburst Warplate||Tazavesh, the Veiled Market|
|Wrists||Goldsteel Bindings||Iron Docks / Grimrail Depot|
|Gloves||Repurposed Golem Grips||Upper Karazhan|
|Belt||Gutcrusher Greatbelt||Iron Docks / Grimrail Depot|
|Legs||Tassets of Perpetual Despair||Upper Karazhan|
|Boots||Implacable Weatherproof Treads||Tazavesh, the Veiled Market|
|Ring #1||Logic Loop of Recursion||Mechagon Junkyard|
|Ring #2||Overclocking Bit Band||Operation: Mechagon - Workshop|
|Weapon||Tearing Sawtooth Blade||Operation: Mechagon - Workshop|
|Shield||Arrowbreaker Greatshield||Grimrail Depot|
The 2 rings mentioned above are a set that work together, so you need to have both of them to actually gain the benefit. Logic Loop of Recursion asks you to use 3 different abilities on a target while Overclocking Bit Band grants you a small Haste boost for 15 seconds after you do it.
Trinkets from Dungeons for Protection Warriors
The following list has the most noteworthy dungeon trinkets available for Warriors.
- Eye of Command — Requires Arms/Fury lootspec
- Ticking Sack of Terror — Requires Arms/Fury lootspec
- So'leah's Secret Technique
Not all the trinkets available to us are linked here but these are the most noteworthy ones. The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Spiritual Alchemy Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
Legion Timewalking Trinkets for Protection Warrior
With Patch 9.1.5, we have access to some of the Legion dungeons and their loot on a competitive item level. Unfortunately, there is only 1 trinket that is more or less okay.
- Writhing Heart of Darkness — dropped by Shade of Xavius in Darkheart Thicket. It causes your critical hits to make your target deal less damage, stacking up to 3 times.
- Jeweled Signet of Melandrus — while not a trinket, it is still worth mentioning. It causes your auto attacks to deal more damage and has both Haste and Critical Strike on it as stats. Dropped by Advisor Melandrus in Court of Stars.
With Patch 9.0.5, we now have the ability to upgrade Mythic dungeon gear with Valor Points. This is a great way for people who do not raid to keep up with the item levels. If you would like to know more about Valor Points and where to get them, look into the following link.Valor
When it comes to upgrade priority then the first things to be upgraded should be trinkets. You can get higher item level loot for other slots fairly easily from Raids or PvP so upgrading trinkets is the way to go. Any of the trinkets mentioned in the dungeon trinket list above is a solid upgrade candidate. Besides trinkets you should prioritize upgrades of shields, weapons, and high stat budget items. Luckily there will be no Valor cap so you will manage to upgrade all your items in no time!
When ever you get a new piece of gear be sure to enchant it if possible. The best enchants for us can be found in the page linked below.
Legendary Powers for Protection Warrior
In Shadowlands, legendary powers have multiple slots in which they can go to, this way you can decide for yourself in which of the slots you would like the specific legendary in. There are many things to consider when deciding which slot to use for a specific legendary, as some of the items may have sockets and some also have higher stat budgets than others. You can find out how to obtain the Legendaries by visiting the Runecarving guide.
To find out which Legendaries are the best for Protection Warriors look into our Legendary page which contains information on all the various powers.
Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is the most important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other slots.
Shields from Fated Raids are generally the best bet as they are the highest item level.
- Guard of the Sundered Defender — Sylvanas Windrunner
- Moriaz's Spare Targe — The Tarragrue
- Infinity's Last Bulwark — Guardian of the First Ones
- Assimilated Safeguard — Skolex, the Insatiable Ravener
- Sepulcher's Savior — Vigilant Guardian
You can also acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Great Vault weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons.
- Arrowbreaker Greatshield, looted from Skylord Tovra in Grimrail Depot.
- Package Protector, looted from Mailroom Mayhem in Tazavesh, the Veiled Market.
- Salvaged Mekacycle Shielding, looted from Trixie & Naeno in Operation: Mechagon - Junkyard
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 26 Jul. 2022: Updated with Season 4 information.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 27 May 2022: Updated dungeon trinkets.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Added a section about Legion Timewalking trinkets for 9.1.5
- 09 Jul. 2021: Swapped suggested raiding trinket for Old Warrior's Soul.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 22 Jun. 2021: Updated for 9.1
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added section about Valor Points.
- 02 Feb. 2021: Removed Pulsating Stoneheart and Slimy Consumptive Organ from the dungeon trinket list.
- 07 Jan. 2021: Added Anima Field Emitter as the primary dungeon trinket over Phial of Putrefaction.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Added Castle Nathria Best in Slot list and additional information about Raid Trinkets.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Replaced Battle for Azeroth sections with Legendary sections and added new Best in Slot and Trinket list.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Stay Awhile and Listen Dialogue Between Baine Bloodhoof and Mayla Highmountain in Dragonflight
- A Preview of Vicious Mounts in Dragonflight Season 1
- Patch 9.2.7 and Wrath Classic Hotfixes: September 29th
- Battle for Undercity Quest Fix
- Dragonflight Group Loot and BoE Clarifications
- Embodiment of the Storm-Eater Preview in Dragonflight
- New Map Model in Dragonflight
- The Winds of Wisdom XP Buff Returns on October 4