Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5.
1. Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
Firstly, there is no such thing as an overall "Best in Slot" list anymore. This is for a number of reasons. The main one being that Warforging/Titanforing exists. You could try to go for specific gear that has certain stats, but if you come across different gear that Titanforges to be +15 item levels, then you will, of course, want to go with that gear. Secondly, certain gear is great in certain situations, and not so great outside those situations. Everything is situational, so trying to come up with a list for gear that is "best" in all situations would not be possible. All gear has the potential to be competitive. Point being, there is a lot of gear that has the opportunity to Warforge/Titanforge, gain a socket, be situationally useful, etc. Making a best in slot list for every slot would be pointless and unhelpful.
You can, of course, look at the loot tables for specific dungeons/bosses and try to farm for a specific piece with your best stats in hopes that it Titanforges, but since the chance for that is so low, your time would be better spent doing something else, such as farming Azerite.
Now, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes there are necks or rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, gear with special effects, etc.
The above guidelines do not apply to Azerite gear (that is, the helm, shoulder, and chest slots). There is specific Azerite gear you will want to go for.
2. Azerite Gear for Protection Warriors
For information about what Azerite traits to choose and what the best items are, see our Azerite page.
3. Crucible of Storms Gear
Gear from the Crucible of Storms raid is a bit different than your average raid gear. Firstly, the gear drops at 5 and 10 item levels higher from the first and second boss of the raid, respectively (compared to gear dropped from the same difficulty in Battle of Dazar'alor). For example, Mythic Battle of Dazar'alor gear drops at item level 415, whereas the first boss of Crucible of Storms drops item level 420 gear.
Secondly, each piece of gear has a special equip effect. To account for this, the total amount of secondary stat on the gear is reduced compared to equivalent item level gear. As such, in order for the gear to be worthwhile, the special effects have to make up for the loss of secondary stats.
As a general rule, if a piece of gear from Crucible of Storms is a 15+ item level upgrade, it should always be equipped.
Abyssal Speaker's Gauntlets provide an absorb shield. While this shield persists, you gain a large amount of Haste. Because the absorb shield is relatively small, it is not going to persist for very long in situations where you are taking any non-trivial amount of damage. As such, you likely will not get much use out of the Haste buff. Generally speaking, these should not be equipped unless they are a 15+ item level upgrade over your current hands.
Mindthief's Eldritch Clasp heals you if you fall below 25% health. You then take Shadow damage over 10 seconds. From a survivability standpoint, this piece is quite good and should be equipped as long as it is not an item level downgrade. It effectively smooths out your damage intake when it procs.
Idol of Indiscriminate Consumption provides an extremely large heal on a 1-minute cooldown. If used correctly, this is one of the strongest trinkets in the game for survivability.
4. Trinkets for Protection Warriors
The following list ranks the most noteworthy trinkets available for survivability from best to worst, assuming equal item level.
- Idol of Indiscriminate Consumption, looted from Uu'nat, Harbinger of the Void in Crucible of Storms.
- Diamond-Laced Refracting Prism, looted from Opulence in Battle of Dazar'alor.
- Jes' Howler, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Rezan's Gleaming Eye, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- Vial of Animated Blood, looted from Unbound Abomination in The Underrot.
- Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block, looted from Raal the Gluttonous in Waycrest Manor.
- Ramping Amplitude Gigavolt Engine, looted from High Tinker Mekkatorque in Battle of Dazar'alor.
The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Eternal Alchemist Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
Any trinket not listed is either not worth using over the above options, or would require an extremely high Titanforge to be competitive.
5. Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is a rather important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other non-Azerite slots.
There are two shields that you can acquire from Battle of Dazar'alor:
- Sunburst Crest, looted from Champion of the Light.
- Blockade Bulwark, looted from Stormwall Blockade.
Sunburst Crest has slightly better stats.
You can also acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Mythic+ weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons in rough order from best to worst:
- Disc of Indomitable Will, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- G0-4W4Y Crowd Repeller, looted from Coin-Operated Crowd Pummeler in The Motherlode.
- Improvised Riot Shield, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Bulwark of Brimming Potential, looted from Galvazzt in Temple of Sethraliss.
- Targe of the Ancient Warder, looted from Sporecaller Zancha in The Underrot.
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 22 Apr. 2019: Removed Legplates of Unbound Anguish from the page as they no longer drop for Protection.
- 16 Apr. 2019: Added information and recommendations for the loot in the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 25 Mar. 2019: Added Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block to trinket recommendations.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for BfA Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and there are no changes necessary for Patch 8.1.
- 10 Sep. 2018: Updated gear suggestions for Uldir.
- 22 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions. Added Shields section.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Blizzard's Looking for Essences Feedback
- How to Play World of Warcraft With a PS4/Xbox Controller
- N'zoth Whispers on Live Servers
- Conflict and Strife Essence Power Clarification
- Second Classic Stress Test Coming on May 29th
- WoW Classic Addons: TukUI
- Patch 8.2: Conflict and Strife PvP Essence
- WoW Classic Stress Test 1 Ending Info
- Destruction Warlock 8.1.5
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Shadow Priest PvP 8.1.5
- Mistweaver Monk 8.1.5
- Paladin Leveling Guide
- Protection Paladin 8.1.5
- Elemental Shaman 8.1.5
- Balance Druid 8.1.5