Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Tank Warrior gear and best in slot.
1. Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
Firstly, there is no such thing as an overall "Best in Slot" list anymore. This is for a number of reasons. The main one being that Warforging/Titanforing exists. You could try to go for specific gear that has certain stats, but if you come across different gear that Titanforges to be +15 item levels, then you will, of course, want to go with that gear. Secondly, certain gear is great in certain situations, and not so great outside those situations. Everything is situational, so trying to come up with a list for gear that is "best" in all situations would not be possible. All gear has the potential to be competitive. Point being, there is a lot of gear that has the opportunity to Warforge/Titanforge, gain a socket, be situationally useful, etc. Making a best in slot list for every slot would be pointless and unhelpful.
You can, of course, look at the loot tables for specific dungeons/bosses and try to farm for a specific piece with your best stats in hopes that it Titanforges, but since the chance for that is so low, your time would be better spent doing something else, such as farming Azerite.
Now, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes there are necks or rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, gear with special effects, etc.
The above guidelines do not apply to Azerite gear (that is, the helm, shoulder, and chest slots). There is specific Azerite gear you will want to go for.
2. Azerite Gear for Protection Warriors
For information about what Azerite traits to choose and what the best items are, see our Azerite page.
3. Trinkets for Protection Warriors
The following list ranks the most noteworthy trinkets available for survivability from best to worst, assuming equal item level.
- Bloodthirsty Urchin, looted looted from Lady Ashvane in The Eternal Palace.
- Pocket-Sized Computation Device (with Subroutine: Overclock)
- Edicts of the Faithless, looted looted from The Queen's Court in The Eternal Palace.
- Chain of Suffering, looted looted from Za'qul, Harbinger of Ny'alotha in The Eternal Palace.
- Jes' Howler, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Rezan's Gleaming Eye, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- Enthraller's Bindstone, looted from Ulmath, the Soulbinder in Nazjatar.
- Vial of Animated Blood, looted from Unbound Abomination in The Underrot.
- Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block, looted from Raal the Gluttonous in Waycrest Manor.
- Shockbiter's Fang, looted from Wekemara in Nazjatar.
- Azshara's Font of Power, looted looted from Queen Azshara in The Eternal Palace.
- Modular Platinum Plating, looted from Tussle Tonks in Operation: Mechagon.
The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Ascended Alchemist Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
Any trinket not listed is either not worth using over the above options, or would require an extremely high Titanforge to be competitive.
4. The Eternal Palace Gear for Protection Warriors
A few of the pieces of gear that drop from The Eternal Palace have Equip effects on them. The ones of note drop from Za'qul, Harbinger of Ny'alotha and Queen Azshara. These pieces are purely beneficial and you do not lose out on anything by equipping them.
- Za'qul: Dream's End — Your attack speed is increased by 1% for each consecutive auto attack against the same target, up to 7%.
The following pieces drop from Queen Azshara:
- Eternity Keeper's Greatbelt — Deals Arcane damage 3 times to a random enemy every 2 minutes.
- Tide Goddess's Wargreaves — Grants a large amount of Critical Strike, split between you and your allies.
- Cursed Lover's Ring — You can bind your ring to another ally with this same ring for an entire week. Every 5 seconds, you sacrifice a small amount of health to heal the wearer of your bound ring for the same amount as long as they are more injured than you. While you do not actually "gain" anything from this, assuming the other ring is on your co-tank, it simply increases your and your co-tank's overall survivability by transferring some health to whoever is taking damage at the time.
All of these effects can be active at the same time, so assuming you can acquire these pieces at the same or greater item level compared to your current gear, they should be equipped.
5. Operation: Mechagon Gear for Protection Warriors
Several pieces of gear that drop from Operation: Mechagon have special effects. Other than what is mentioned just below, none of it is currently worth using over higher item level gear.
5.1. Pocket-Sized Computation Device
The Pocket-Sized Computation Device is a trinket that can be customized with various Punchcards that are obtained from Mechagon-related content. Red Punchcards add procs and on-use effects. Yellow Punchcards provide secondary stats. Blue Punchcards non-combat related utility effects.
There is one red and yellow Punchcard you will want to obtain:
- Red: Subroutine: Overclock — This provides 1,200 Haste and procs approximately once per minute. This is an extremely large amount of Haste for being 415 item level. On average, it beats similar Haste proc trinkets at 445 item level. If you can acquire this Punchard, this trinket should be equipped over pretty much every other trinket.
- Yellow: Performant Adaptable Logic Board or Performant Logic Board — The former has a chance to drop from various rares in the Mechagon zone. The latter has a chance to drop from either Trixie Tazer or King Mechagon in the Operation: Mechagon dungeon. On the Performant Logic Board, the second stat is random. Preferably that stat is Versatility.
5.2. Logic Loops and Bit Bands
These are rings that drop from Operation: Mechagon. Logic Loops define the activation requirement for the Bit Bands. For example, one of the Logic Loops reads "If you damage an enemy while you are behind them...", and one of the Bit Bands reads "...then you deal Nature damage to a nearby enemy". So, if paired, these particular rings would cause you to deal Nature damage to an enemy when you damage an enemy from behind.
There is one Logic Loop and Bit Band combo of note for Protection Warriors: Logic Loop of Recursion and Overclocking Bit Band. The proc on the Overclocking Bit Band is worth about 15 item levels. However, remember that you need the Logic Loop to use it. As such, if you have other rings that when combined give you more than 15 item levels, you should equip those instead. For example, say you have an item level 430 ring and an item level 420 ring. That is 20 item levels total over the Logic Loop/Bit Band, in which case those higher item level rings should be used.
6. Benthic Gear for Protection Warriors
Please read this post for information on how Benthic gear is acquired and upgraded.
All Benthic pieces have a unique Equip effect. For tanking/survivability, none of the effects are powerful enough to justify using Benthic pieces over higher item level gear. Since Benthic gear is capped at item level 425, and Heroic Eternal Palace gear drops at item level 430, it is not worth spending the time or Prismatic Manapearls on Benthic gear. The exception to this is the Benthic Azerite gear, which can be upgraded to item level 430. In particular, the helm, Zanj'ir Scaleguard Faceguard, has very solid traits.
Other than using Benthic gear to easily replace lower item level gear, higher item level pieces should always be equipped. Keep in mind this is not the case if you are trying to maximize damage. Benthic gear can roll sockets, which are very good for DPS. Several of the effects are also quite strong when it comes to DPS.
7. Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is a rather important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other non-Azerite slots.
There are two shields that you can acquire from The Eternal Palace.
- Great Reef Barrier, looted looted from Orgozoa.
- Bulwark of the Seaborn Avatar, looted from Radiance of Azshara.
Great Reef Barrier has better stats.
You can also acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Mythic+ weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons in rough order from best to worst:
- Disc of Indomitable Will, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- G0-4W4Y Crowd Repeller, looted from Coin-Operated Crowd Pummeler in The Motherlode.
- Improvised Riot Shield, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Bulwark of Brimming Potential, looted from Galvazzt in Temple of Sethraliss.
- Targe of the Ancient Warder, looted from Sporecaller Zancha in The Underrot.
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 15 Jul. 2019: Updated for Season 3, Mechagon, and The Eternal Palace raid.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Updated for Patch 8.2.
- 22 Apr. 2019: Removed Legplates of Unbound Anguish from the page as they no longer drop for Protection.
- 16 Apr. 2019: Added information and recommendations for the loot in the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 25 Mar. 2019: Added Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block to trinket recommendations.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for BfA Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and there are no changes necessary for Patch 8.1.
- 10 Sep. 2018: Updated gear suggestions for Uldir.
- 22 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions. Added Shields section.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- New Goblin & Worgen Models Coming in Patch 8.2.5
- Classic Spotlight: Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 12th
- Beguiling Affix - Void-Touched Emissary Nerf: July 12th
- 3 Days of WoW Game Time for Inactive Players
- WoW Classic Beta Ends Today
- Aqueous Reliquary Drop Clarifications
- Hunter Beta Issues - Not a Bug, Fixed and Actual Bugs
- Destruction Warlock 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Protection Warrior 8.2
- Completely lost here on Icy-Veins
- Rogue Leveling Guide
- Restoration Druid 8.2