Protection Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Tank Warrior gear and best in slot.
Gearing Strategy for Protection Warriors
While Titanforging/Warforging is gone there is a new system in place with Corruption (see our Corrupted Items guide for more information). This means that creating a fully functional BiS list is still not 100% reliable. There will be cases where you will want to equip a worse piece just because you got a good Corruption benefit on it.
Now, there definitely are cases where specific gear can be best in slot. For example, some trinkets have special effects that are extremely powerful, and you will want to seek them out regardless of item level. Sometimes there are rings that have special effects that out-weigh item level increases or the benefit of specific secondary stats.
As a general rule of thumb, any increase in item level is an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the value of all the secondary stats is close enough together that you should only look at what secondary stats a piece has if you are comparing across the same item level. Not only that, Stamina and Strength increases are important as well.
All in all, if you come across gear that is an item level upgrade (or has a socket and your current piece does not or has a very good Corruption effect), equip it. If two pieces of gear are the same item level, equip the best piece according to the stat priority. Finally, be aware of gear where the item level does not matter as much, which is the case for certain trinkets, gear with special effects, etc.
The above guidelines do not apply to Azerite gear (that is, the helm, shoulder, and chest slots). There is specific Azerite gear you will want to go for.
Azerite Gear for Protection Warriors
For information about what Azerite traits to choose and what the best items are, see our Azerite page.
Corruptions and Corrupted Items
For more information about the best Corruptions and corrupted items you can get, please refer to our dedicated page.
Trinkets for Protection Warriors
The following list has the most noteworthy trinkets available for survivability assuming equal item level.
- Bloodthirsty Urchin, looted from Lady Ashvane in The Eternal Palace.
- Pocket-Sized Computation Device (with Subroutine: Overclock)
- Edicts of the Faithless, looted from The Queen's Court in The Eternal Palace.
- Jes' Howler, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Rezan's Gleaming Eye, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- Humming Black Dragonscale, looted from Wrathion, the Black Emperor
- Void-Twisted Titanshard, looted from Ra-den the Despoiled
- Vita-Charged Titanshard, looted from Ra-den the Despoiled
- Enthraller's Bindstone, looted from Ulmath, the Soulbinder in Nazjatar.
- Vial of Animated Blood, looted from Unbound Abomination in The Underrot.
- Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block, looted from Raal the Gluttonous in Waycrest Manor.
- Shockbiter's Fang, looted from Wekemara in Nazjatar.
- Azshara's Font of Power, looted from Queen Azshara in The Eternal Palace.
- Modular Platinum Plating, looted from Tussle Tonks in Operation: Mechagon.
The craftable Alchemy trinkets such as Ascended Alchemist Stone are decent alternatives if you are having trouble obtaining the above trinkets. These require that you have Alchemy as a profession to equip.
Lingering Psychic Shell is a trinket that needs a separate section about it. This provides you with a strong damage reduction cooldown that lasts for either 8 seconds or until the absorb is broken. The absorb itself is further increased if you are inside Ny'alotha. This can be used to mitigate hard hitting abilities like Searing Breath from Wrathion, the Black Emperor or Eye of N'Zoth from Il'gynoth, Corruption Reborn. If there are multiple attacks in a row you should remember to keep an eye on the absorb still left on the trinket.
Void-Twisted Titanshard provides you with Versatility , a small absorb shield and increases your Critical Strike chance by a lot while the shield persists. While the Critical Strike increase is very good the shield unfortunately is broken with a couple of hits meaning that you do not gain a lot out of this effect.
Vita-Charged Titanshard increases your Haste and gives your abilities a chance to proc a large haste buff for 15 seconds. While this trinket does not proc very often, it is still a solid choice just because of the sheer amount of haste it provides. This trinket together with Void-Twisted Titanshard also has a unique effect. If both are equipped, they have a chance to increase your Strength by a huge amount for 15 seconds if you collect the orb they spawn. This also has a fairly low proc chance meaning that in most scenarios you are better off with other trinkets.
Humming Black Dragonscale is another trinket that increases your Haste. It has a pretty high uptime but the haste proc it provides is low compared to other options out there. It is still a very solid trinket and easy to get on a high item level.
Sigil of Warding is a on-use trinket that when used give a very big absorb shield which is further increased if the damage taken is magical. Unfortunately this has a fairly long cooldown of 2 minutes meaning that it becomes a very situational trinket.
Torment in a Jar and Writhing Segment of Drest'agath are trinkets that are available to us through either Fury or Arms loot specialization. Torment in a Jar is a very solid AoE option and also performs well in ST. Writhing Segment of Drest'agath should be used mainly in ST situations because the damage it does is split between all enemies it hits. Both of these trinkets are purely offensive and provide no defensive benefit.
Gouged Eye of N'zoth
Another update that came with 8.3 was the addition of Gouged Eye of N'Zoth. This lets you add a Socket to a piece of gear. You can not use this on Azerite gear, items that already have a socket or items from old raids. You should mainly use this on pieces of gear that you are unlikely to replace with anything else to avoid wasting them. For more information please visit our Horrific Visions page.
Operation: Mechagon Gear for Protection Warriors
Several pieces of gear that drop from Operation: Mechagon have special effects. Other than what is mentioned just below, none of it is currently worth using over higher item level gear.
Pocket-Sized Computation Device
The Pocket-Sized Computation Device is a trinket that can be customized with various Punchcards that are obtained from Mechagon-related content. Red Punchcards add procs and on-use effects. Yellow Punchcards provide secondary stats. Blue Punchcards non-combat related utility effects.
There is one red and yellow Punchcard you will want to obtain:
- Red: Subroutine: Overclock — This provides 1,200 Haste and procs approximately once per minute. This is an extremely large amount of Haste for being 415 item level. On average, it beats similar Haste proc trinkets at 445 item level. If you can acquire this Punchard, this trinket should be equipped over pretty much every other trinket.
- Yellow: Performant Adaptable Logic Board or Performant Logic Board — The former has a chance to drop from various rares in the Mechagon zone. The latter has a chance to drop from either Trixie Tazer or King Mechagon in the Operation: Mechagon dungeon. On the Performant Logic Board, the second stat is random. Preferably that stat is Versatility.
Logic Loops and Bit Bands
These are rings that drop from Operation: Mechagon. Logic Loops define the activation requirement for the Bit Bands. For example, one of the Logic Loops reads "If you damage an enemy while you are behind them...", and one of the Bit Bands reads "...then you deal Nature damage to a nearby enemy". So, if paired, these particular rings would cause you to deal Nature damage to an enemy when you damage an enemy from behind.
There is one Logic Loop and Bit Band combo of note for Protection Warriors: Logic Loop of Recursion and Overclocking Bit Band. The proc on the Overclocking Bit Band is worth about 15 item levels. However, remember that you need the Logic Loop to use it. As such, if you have other rings that when combined give you more than 15 item levels, you should equip those instead. For example, say you have an item level 430 ring and an item level 420 ring. That is 20 item levels total over the Logic Loop/Bit Band, in which case those higher item level rings should be used.
Shields for Protection Warriors
A good shield is a rather important piece of gear. Shield upgrades provide a much larger defensive boost compared to upgrades to other non-Azerite slots.
There is only one shield that you can acquire from Ny'alotha.
You can also acquire high item level shields from Mythic+ and the Mythic+ weekly chest. The following shields are the available shields from dungeons in rough order from best to worst:
- Disc of Indomitable Will, looted from Rezan in Atal'Dazar.
- G0-4W4Y Crowd Repeller, looted from Coin-Operated Crowd Pummeler in The Motherlode.
- Improvised Riot Shield, looted from Jes Howlis in Tol Dagor.
- Bulwark of Brimming Potential, looted from Galvazzt in Temple of Sethraliss.
- Targe of the Ancient Warder, looted from Sporecaller Zancha in The Underrot.
Use the highest item level shield you can, regardless of its secondary stats.
- 23 Feb. 2020: Added more precise information regarding 8.3 trinkets and updated Corruptions.
- 23 Jan. 2020: Added section for Lingering Psychic Shell and graphs for Corruptions.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3.
- 26 Aug. 2019: Adjusted trinket suggestions.
- 15 Jul. 2019: Updated for Season 3, Mechagon, and The Eternal Palace raid.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Updated for Patch 8.2.
- 22 Apr. 2019: Removed Legplates of Unbound Anguish from the page as they no longer drop for Protection.
- 16 Apr. 2019: Added information and recommendations for the loot in the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 25 Mar. 2019: Added Gore-Crusted Butcher's Block to trinket recommendations.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for BfA Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and there are no changes necessary for Patch 8.1.
- 10 Sep. 2018: Updated gear suggestions for Uldir.
- 22 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Updated trinket suggestions. Added Shields section.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Mists of Pandaria Timewalking Guide (July 14th - July 21st)
- Zappy Boy Nickname Now Cannon
- Eye of the Jailer Mechanic in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through July 17th
- Pre-expansion Event Details, Time in the Shadowlands, Major Lore Implications, Renown Catch-up: Full Bellular Interview
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: July 13th
- Horrific Visions Nerfs Coming July 14th/15th
- Every Man For Himself Human Racial Renamed to Will to Survive in Shadowlands