Elemental Shaman Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 1 to 60 (Dragonflight 10.2)
When leveling up, always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Talents to Level Up as an Elemental Shaman
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
This is an example setup; it is difficult to go wrong while leveling. I would encourage experimenting with the feel of different talents. Note that the value of some talents/talent combos can change significantly depending on your secondary stats. This assumes no particular stat is heavily favored. This guide chooses to skip Icefury as you already have a lot of buttons, especially if you pick a lot of active talents on the class tree, and Icefury can be overwhelming for newer players. It is a healthy option for leveling. You may want to grab Frost Shock at any point to help with movement and kiting.
- Level 11 and 12: Get Astral Shift then Astral Bulwark on your class tree and Earth Shock on your elemental tree. If you would prefer a higher Astral Shift uptime at the cost of a significantly lower damage reduction, you can spec into either Planes Traveler instead, or take Wind Shear early to deal with pesky spellcasters.
- Level 13 to 18: Get Wind Shear then Earth Elemental and Capacitor Totem on your class tree and Fire Elemental, then Refreshing Waters and Lava Surge on your elemental tree.
- Level 19 to 24: Get Guardian's Cudgel, Fire and Ice and Healing Stream Totem from the class tree, then path to Call of Thunder on the elemental tree, grabbing Inundate.
- Level 25 to 34: Get Hex, Nature's Guardian and Thunderstorm from the class tree and Elemental Fury, then Unrelenting Calamity, Stormkeeper, Call of Fire then Echo of the Elements.
- Level 35 to 44 Get Swirling Currents, Spiritwalker's Grace, Brimming with Life and Nature's Furyfrom the class tree and Surge of Power, Master of the Elements then Eye of the Storm from the elemental tree.
- Level 45 to 50: Get Winds of Al'Akir and Gust of Wind from the class tree and Focused Insight, Flow of Power and Swelling Maelstrom from the elemental tree.
- Choices!: At this level, you can pick Primordial Wave, Ascendance and either Primal Elementalist or Liquid Magma Totem. You may want three of those. Primordial Wave will help kill spread-out mobs faster and is also a nice single-target boost. The others give you strong DPS cooldowns, although apart from Liquid Magma Totem, they can be pretty overkill. Alternatively, you could skip 2 of the "choice" talents and a path directly to Windspeaker's Lava Resurgence.
- Level 51 to 56: Get Ancestral Guidance, Graceful Spirit and Surging Shields from the class tree and the 2 previous talents, you did not get to level 51 on the elemental tree.
- Level 57 to 62: Finish Surging Shields, then get Earth Shield. On the spec tree, grab Magma Chamber and Windspeaker's Lava Resurgence.
- Level 63 to 70: Get Elemental Orbit, then depending on preferences, any/all of Lightning Lasso, Earthgrab Totem Nature's Swiftness, you could also take 2 points into Elemental Warding, Ancestral Defense or Go with the Flow. There are no wrong options, depending on what you are struggling with. You can also pick any of those earlier during the leveling process; it is largely personal preference, how fast you want to go, whether you take pauses or grind non-stop... The elemental tree picks are also down to preference and what you feel you need more. You can get Oath of the Far Seer to have a stronger Ascendance you can use much more often. You can get Rolling Magma for more Primordial Waves along with Primordial Surge for more single-target (generally overkill), or Splintered Elements if you also use Liquid Magma Totem if you do big pulls, Searing Flames to get more Earth Shocks, Flames of the Cauldron and Improved Flametongue Weapon for some basic damage increases. I even skip Ascendance for those, as I feel it is overkill for leveling.
- Start by casting Fire Elemental when a fight is going to last a while.
- Cast Flame Shock when engaging enemies , with Primordial Wave when it is available. If engaging multiple enemies, cast Primordial Wave on one and Flame Shock on another.
- Cast Liquid Magma Totem when multiple enemies will be hit by it.
- Cast Primordial Wave on cooldown. Aim to hit a target not affected by Flame Shock.
- Cast Lightning Bolt if Surge of Power is active (or Chain Lightning if fighting at least 6 enemies that are close together)
- Cast Lava Burst if at 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon. If multiple targets are present, instead cast Chain Lightning.
- Cast Earth Shock or Earthquake if multiple enemies will be hit by it.
- Cast Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning if multiple enemies will be hit by it.
- Cast Flame Shock when you need to move and the enemy will live for a while yet. Otherwise, if you opted to select Frost Shock, you can cast that.
War Mode Talents to Level Up as an Elemental Shaman
If you are willing to take the risk and utilize War Mode, the following PvP talents are recommended during leveling or for other open-world content. There may be times when you would like to use other options and are encouraged to experiment! PvP talents can be freely changed at any time.
Your first PvP talent slot will unlock at Level 20, your second at Level 30, and the final at Level 40. The following is a curated list of PvP talents that we consider good for leveling.
- Skyfury Totem increases the critical effect of spells of allies within 40 yards by 20% for 15 seconds, 40-second cooldown. Good for solo play and excellent if you are doing outdoor content with others.
- Volcanic Surge increased the damage of Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning by 25% and the damage of Lava Burst by 45% Lava Surge has an additional 100% chance to proc, and now, instead of its normal effect, reduces the cast time of your next Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning by 25%, stacking up to 2 times.
- Static Field Totem summons a totem at a target location that creates a circle of terrain that enemies cannot move through. It is extremely handy, versatile crowd control with a 1-minute cooldown.
- Burrow Burrow beneath the ground, becoming unattackable, removing movement-impairing effects, and increasing your movement speed by 50% for 5 seconds. When the effect ends, enemies within 6 yards are knocked in the air and take Physical Damage. This ability has a 2-minute cooldown.
- Counterstrike Totem replicates and reflects damage you take for 15 seconds on a 45-second cooldown. This can be really strong when in a high-damage area to deal some chip damage to targets around you and convert your health pool into additional damage.
- Seasoned Winds is mostly nice when facing a bunch of enemies doing similar damage types, and it is one of the few useful PvP talents that are not active, so it can be a good pick-up if you are not finding yourself use the active talents much.
We recommend picking 3 of the above talents, depending on what you value most. Personally, I would recommend the following picks:
Recommended Elemental PvP Talents
- Level 20: Volcanic Surge
- Level 30: Skyfury Totem or Burrow if you prefer a "get out of jail" card
- Level 40:Whichever talent you did not pick at level 30, Counterstrike Totem or Static Field Totem, depending on personal preferences. I would get the leftover level 30 talent.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Re-added rotation tool, added PvP talents.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 02 May 2023: Modified a setting to make things clearer for people leveling from 60.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated for the class talent overhaul of Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 18 Nov. 2022: Updated with a new build order. People who want to know in advance where to go from level 60 to 70 can now see my recommendations.
- 07 Nov. 2022: Talent pick order in calculator should be fixed. .
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Classic Community Council Chat: December 8th
- Ashenvale PvP Event Bug Being Worked On
- New Night Elf Child Model Added in Patch 10.2.5
- Updated Map of Amirdrassil on the 10.2.5 PTR
- Dark Ranger General's (Sylvanas) Transmog Set in Patch 10.2.5
- Bel'ameth is A Neutral City in Patch 10.2.5
- Patch 10.2.5 Development Notes: December 8th
- Shadowfang Keep Soloed By Metamorphosis Warlock in Season of Discovery