Elemental Shaman Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as an Elemental Shaman
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Earthen Rage
- Level 25: Aftershock or Echoing Shock
- Level 30: Earth Shield
- Level 35: Master of the Elements or Liquid Magma Totem
- Level 40: Nature's Guardian or Ancestral Guidance
- Level 45: Primal Elementalist or Icefury
- Level 50: Stormkeeper
Rotation to Level Up as an Elemental Shaman
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main damaging ability: Lightning Bolt. This will change at level 10, when you select Elemental as your specialization and unlock other ranged abilities. Until then, use Lightning Bolt to kill targets, and make use of Flame Shock when it unlocks at level 3 and of Lightning Shield once it unlocks at level 9.
- Keep Lightning Shield active on yourself
- Apply Flame Shock if it is absent
- Cast Fire Elemental if it is off cooldown. Try to pair your elemental with Haste buffs if possible (e.g. Bloodlust/ Heroism).
- Cast Earth Elemental if it is off cooldown.
- Cast Stormkeeper whenever available. Delay the usage if multiple stacked targets will be present within the span of its cooldown
- If talented, cast Liquid Magma Totem whenever available. Delay the usage if multiple stacked targets will be present within the span of its cooldown.
- Cast Earth Shock if Maelstrom is 90 or greater; or 60 or greater if you have Master of the Elements's buff.
- Cast Lava Burst whenever available.
- If Icefury is talented, use the empowered Frost Shocks before the buff fades.
- If talented, cast Icefury whenever available.
- Cast Earth Shock if Maelstrom is 60 or greater.
- Cast Lightning Bolt as a filler on a single target.
- Cast Frost Shock as a filler while moving.
Ability Upgrades from Level 50 to 60
Every 2 levels from Level 50, you unlock one ability upgrade.
- At Level 52, Elemental Fury now also causes your healing spells to crit for 250% instead of the normal 200%.
- At Level 54, Astral Shift lasts for an additional 4 seconds.
- At Level 56, Hex's cooldown is reduced by 10 seconds.
- At Level 58, when Fire Elemental is active, your Flame Shock lasts 100% longer.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Elemental Shaman
With the new leveling system in Shadowlands, class abilities are a prominent part of specs again, and represent many of the abilities you gain while leveling. You will only start unlocking Elemental specific abilities and passives once you select it as your active specialization past Level 10.
In order to avoid overloading the guide with redundant information which is easily understood from opening your spell book, we would advise you to read our detailed spell guide for the detailed information on each spell and how it is used in WoW.
Elemental Shaman War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section, we will rank the PvP talents for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content in order of priority. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Elemental Shaman-specific PvE talents.
General PvP Talents
- Adaptation is likely your most passive choice, since it will automatically remove loss of control effects over 5 seconds.
- Relentless is also a passive ability, but it does not automatically remove crowd control abilities. Instead, it reduces the duration. I personally favor this option.
- Gladiator's Medallion is an on-use ability that removes all movement impairing effects and all loss of control effects.
Elemental Shaman PvP Talents for Leveling
- Skyfury Totem increases the critical effect of spells of allies within 40 yards by 20% for 15 seconds, with a 40-second cooldown. It is good for solo play, but excellent if you are doing outdoors content with others.
- Swelling Waves makes your Healing Surges 50% stronger.
- Elemental Attunement increases your maximum Maelstrom by 50, allowing for a lot more banking and control.
- Counterstrike Totem replicates and reflects damage you take for 15 seconds, on a 45-second cooldown. This can be really strong when in a high damage area to deal some chip damage to targets around you, and convert your health pool into additional damage.
Grounding Totem, Lightning Lasso, Purifying Waters, Spectral Recovery, Traveling Storms and Control of Lava have either niche uses or just are not very useful compared to the other talents. Do not dismiss them entirely but for the most part, you can safely ignore them.
You should equip new quest rewards when their item level starts beating out your previous set of gear. If you are currently wearing Ny'alotha gear, it is best to let the quest rewards significantly beat your existing item level before using them.
There are several consumable items that can be purchased that will help you with your leveling speed.
- Skystep Potion increases your movement speed by 150% (more than a mount!) for 8 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown. This is extremely useful and should be used often and aggressively for any travel that is more than ~100 yards long.
- Goblin Glider Kit is very useful for covering long distances from high places.
- Gunshoes are an Engineering item that increase your movement speed by 200% for 25 seconds. These will make you almost as fast as a Flying mount. We recommend having a lot of these, and using them whenever you are traveling more than ~250 yards.
The Gunshoes will not let you stop moving as long as they are active. Using this macro twice will click the buff off and allow you to stop.
- /use Gunshoes
- /cancelaura Gunshoes
- 29 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 30 Sep. 2020: Guide added.
- Druid Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- The Death of 10 Man Competitive Raiding (Video)
- How to Catch Up on Companion XP in Patch 9.1.5
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622 Class Changes
- Patch 9.1.5 and 9.2 Release Date Predictions
- Lightforged Ruinstrider (Lightforged Draenei Paladin Mount) in Patch 9.1.5
- Warlock Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622)
- Shaman Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5