Arcane Mage Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as a Arcane Mage
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Amplification
- Level 25: Shimmer
- Level 30: Incanter's Flow
- Level 35: Arcane Echo
- Level 40: Chrono Shift
- Level 45: Arcane Orb
- Level 50: Enlightened
Rotation to Level Up as an Arcane Mage
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main attack ability: Frostbolt.
- Cast Conjure Mana Gem to get a Mana Gem. You can use the Mana Gem to get mana back when you are low on mana.
- Use Presence of Mind when you have to move to allow you to cast Arcane Blast on the move.
- Cast Touch of the Magi whenever it is ready.
- Cast Arcane Barrage if Touch of the Magi is ready.
- Cast Touch of the Magi whenever it is ready and you have no Arcane Charges.
- Cast Arcane Power whenever it is ready and you have 4 Arcane Charges.
- Use Arcane Missiles when you get Clearcasting.
- Use Fire Blast on cooldown.
- Cast Evocation when you are out of mana.
- Cast Arcane Barrage to finish off a target, or when running low on mana. Only cast it when you have 4 Arcane Charges.
- Cast Arcane Explosion when there are 3 or more targets.
- Cast Arcane Blast.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Arcane Mage
You unlock your first ability of interest at Level 3.
- At Level 10, you unlock Arcane Blast. Arcane Blast generates one Arcane Charge every time you cast it, up-to four stacks. Every stack of Arcane Charges increases the damage you do by 60%, reduces cast time by 8%, but also doubles the mana cost.
- At Level 10, you unlock Arcane Barrage. Arcane Barrage is the way you can reset Arcane Charges, which is needed because casting Arcane Blast on 4 stacks of Arcane Charges will eventually run you out of mana. It also does 30% extra damage per stack of Arcane Charges.
- At Level 10, you unlock Mastery: Savant. This unlocks the Mastery stat for you. Your Mastery further increases the bonus damage from Arcane Charges, while also increasing the damage of all other spells that do not benefit from Arcane Charges.
- At Level 12, you unlock Slow. Slow can be used to slow your target by 50%.
- At Level 13, you unlock Arcane Missiles. Arcane Missiles sends a wave of Missiles to the enemy target. When you initially unlock it, it does not have much use outside of quickly killing low health targets when you do not have Arcane Charges built up, but at higher levels, you will get varying procs and other effects that interact with Arcane Missiles.
- At Level 17, you unlock Conjure Mana Gem. This lets you conjure a Mana Gem that you can use to regenerate mana.
- At Level 18, you unlock Arcane Explosion rank 2. This boosts the damage of Arcane Explosion by 10%.
- At Level 19, you unlock Alter Time. This is a spell that can be used as both a defensive and a mobility spell. You can use Alter Time when you pull a new enemy, and then when you are getting low, re-activate it to heal back to full health.
- At Level 21, you unlock Prismatic Barrier. This is a great defensive tool, as it is relatively low cooldown and gives a pretty big shield. Additionally, you take 15% less magic damage and reduces the duration of harmful magic effects by 25% while it is active.
- At Level 23, you unlock Clearcasting. Clearcasting can proc whenever you spend mana. While you have clearcasting, Arcane Missiles costs no mana, and fires an additional missiles, boosting its damage.
- At Level 27, you unlock Evocation. This is the main way Arcane get mana back outside of normal mana regeneration.
- At Level 29, you unlock Arcane Power. Arcane Power boosts the damage you do by 30%, allowing strong burst damage.
- At Level 31, you unlock Arcane Barrage rank 2. This makes Arcane Barrage hits an additional target for 40% damage.
- At Level 32, you unlock Clearcasting rank 3. This makes Clearcasting stack up to 2 times, which means you can save a stack for the next enemy target if your current target is already very low.
- At Level 33, you unlock Touch of the Magi. Touch of the Magi will count all damage you do to the target you put it on for 8 seconds, and then explodes for 25% of the damage done to the primary target, and reduced damage to all nearby targets.
- At Level 38, you unlock Slow rank 2. This makes Slow slow for 10% more, increasing it to 60%.
- At Level 41, you unlock Arcane Power rank 2. This makes your spells cost 30% less mana on top of the 30% damage boost.
- At Level 42, you unlock Presence of Mind. This makes your next 2 Arcane Blasts be instant cast. This is very useful for when you have to move, as it means you can activate Presence of Mind and continue casting Arcane Blast while moving.
- At Level 43, you unlock Evocation rank 2. This reduces the cooldown of Evocation by 50%, turning it into a 1.5 minute cooldown.
- At Level 46, you unlock Touch of the Magi rank 2. This makes Touch of the Magi also give you 4 Arcane Charges. This is a very big upgrade as it allows you to very quickly build 4 Arcane charges.
- At Level 47, you unlock Greater Invisibility. This replaces the normal Invisibility. It makes Invisibility instant instead of taking 3 seconds. Additionally, it also reduces the damage you take by 60% while invisible and for 3 seconds after it.
- At Level 48, you unlock Prismatic Barrier rank 2. This further increases the magic damage reduction by 5%, increasing it to 20%. Additionally, it also further decreases the duration of harmful effects by 10%, up to 35%.
- At Level 52, you unlock Arcane Barrage rank 3. This makes it so when you use Arcane Barrage, you gain 2% mana back per Arcane Charge.
- At Level 54, you unlock Presence of Mind rank 2. This allows you to cast 3 instant Arcane Blasts instead of 2.
- At Level 56, you unlock Arcane Power rank 3. This increases the duration of Arcane Power by 5 seconds, to 15 seconds.
Arcane Mage War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content.
- Arcane Empowerment is a direct damage increase to Arcane Missiles during Clearcasting, directly increasing your dps.
- Temporal Shield is arguably the best defensive tool in the game, as it is off the global cooldown, and has a relatively short cooldown, allowing you to avoid most damage against most enemies you face.
- Master of Escape and Mass Invisibility are both spells that you can pick to help you skip more mobs when going through crowded areas.
- 20 Oct. 2020: Fixed rotation showing Presence of Mind too early.
- 18 Oct. 2020: Fixed Prismatic Barrier from level 28 to 21.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Guide added.
- Player Forms A Pumpkin Shape Out of Bones on Moon Guard to Celebrate Hallow's End
- Darker Sprite Darter's Wings Options
- Patch 9.0.1 Hotfixes: October 20th
- Vision of Perfection Nerfed for Mages
- Heart of Azeroth at Level 10: Exploit or Clever Use?
- Sprite Darter Costume Transmog with 6-month Subscription
- All WoW Dances in 2020, with Accompanying Sources
- Leveling Your Heart of Azeroth Could Actually Lower Its Stats
- Fury Warrior Shadowlands
- Castle Nathria Tank Rankings
- Pre-Patch Event Guide
- Death Knight new runeforge enchants - WoW Shadowlands Pre-Patch 9.0.1
- Protection Paladin Shadowlands
- Fury Warrior PvP 8.3
- Beast of Fable Pet Battle location of No-No the Beaver
- Discipline Priest Shadowlands