Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Hunter PvP guide.
Spec Overview / Place in the Current Meta for Beast Mastery Hunters
Beast Mastery Hunters are in a very strong position in the meta right now. They not only have some of the best single-target sustained damage, but they are also one of the hardest classes to connect to for melee. Because their pets are the main damage dealers for Beast Mastery Hunters, even when they are in crowd control, they are still capable of dealing large amounts of damage. They use abilities like Disengage to kite enemy teams and Freezing Trap to lock a healer down.
Strengths of Beast Mastery Hunter
- Great control
- Decent mobility
- Strong consistent damage
Weaknesses of Beast Mastery Hunter
- Hard to get crowd control without the help of teammates
- Weak to teams with multiple stuns
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Beast Mastery Hunters in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Beast Mastery Hunters.
- On the Beast Mastery Hunter Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Beast Mastery Hunters, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 21 Jan. 2020: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Made several changes to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 27 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section and Item Recommendations.
- 13 Dec. 2018: Updated Azerite traits section.
- 12 Dec. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.
- 07 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Revamped guide.
- Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- Added Azerite trait section.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Updated all regular talents sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Pet section.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Removed Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 21 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 10 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 13 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 24 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 21 Oct. 2017: Added Pet Talent section.
- 21 Sep. 2017: Several changes made for Patch 7.3
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Changed recommended tier 4 regular talents.
- Changed recommended tier 4 honor talents.
- Updated burst damage rotation.
- 16 Jul. 2017: Changed recommended Tier 1 and 2 regular talents and recommended Tier 6 honor talents. Also updated sustained and burst damage rotation.
- 11 Apr. 2017: Beast Mastery Hunter Hunter PvP guide created.
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 2nd
- Optional Crafting Reagents Update: June 2nd
- World First Mythic +28 Tol'Dagor Cleared in Time
- Dredwing Mounts in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through June 5th
- Specific Vendor Corruptions Prediction Theories
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 1st
- Fist of Justice / Ineffable Truth Hotfix Cancelled