Holy Priest Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 1 to 70 (Dragonflight 10.2)
Spec Suggestion for Leveling
While Holy Priest is more than capable of levelling, Priests generally, level as Shadow as it provides superior damage, significantly speeding up the questing process. That said, when venturing into Dungeons and PVP Battlegrounds, Holy Priest, is a fun change of pace and does a great job at keeping your allies alive.
Gearing is quite simple as a levelling Holy Priest with the value of Intellect being high. Your focus should be on obtaining as much Intellect on gear as possible, which means typically prioritizing item level. Intellect increases the amount of damage your spells do as well as how much healing they do. Secondary stats provide a similar benefit but significantly less power while levelling and can largely be ignored.
As a Priest, your weapon's contribution to your damage and healing is through the Intellect it provides. Focusing on wearing the weapon combination, either staff or main-hand/off-hand, with the most total intellect should be your priority.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as a Holy Priest
Your first talent point is granted at level 10 after you choose the Holy specialization.
Your talent setup should be as follows. The build revolves primarily around using Flash Heal and Heal to keep your allies healthy. There are also talents picked up to help you deal some extra damage which is useful for both questing and when your allies are no injured.
Damage Rotation to Level Up as a Holy Priest
Starting at Level 1, you only have Smite, so just spam this for now.
- Shadow Word: Pain is your first damage over time spell. This should be put up on nearly every mob you fight and can be very helpful for tagging enemies quickly.
- Mind Blast is a hard-hitting single target spell you should pre-pull with and use on cooldown.
- At level 6 you learn Power Word: Fortitude; make sure you keep this buff up on yourself and allies at all times.
- Use Psychic Scream to fear mobs away if you ever pull too much or need to get away from enemies.
- Holy Nova is your first and only spammable AoE spell which takes over as your priority for 3 or more enemies.
- At 13 you get Holy Word: Chastise, which hits reasonably hard but also disorients the target. Its cooldown is reduced by casting Smite, so despite it having a 1-minute cooldown, you will often be able to cast it much sooner.
- Shadow Word: Death is our primary execute ability and should ideally only be used on targets less than 20% health.
- Starting with level 19 Mind Blast is replaced with Holy Fire, which becomes your highest priority damage spell to cast.
- Divine Star is a short cooldown ability dealing damage to all enemies in a line in front of you.
- Apotheosis is available at level 51. When cast, this talent provides you with increased cooldown reduction applied to Holy Word: Chastise when casting Smite.
- Power Infusion is another major cooldown added to your kit you should use to squeeze out more damage when needed.
Once you reach level 15, you will be able to queue for dungeons. This route is most suited for a healing spec like Holy Priest. As mentioned earlier in the guide, it is suggested if you plan on questing through your levels, you will find it much faster to spec Shadow for most or all of your leveling journey. To get a full understanding of the complete kit and how to fully utilize it, have a look at our rotation page. A summary of our casting priority can also be found below:
- Holy Word: Serenity on an injured ally.
- Holy Word: Sanctify when most of your group is injured.
- Flash Heal for emergency healing.
- Divine Star when most of your group is injured.
- Circle of Healing when most of your group is injured.
- Flash Heal for regular healing.
- Heal for regular healing, utilizing Trail of Light to heal multiple allies.
- Prayer of Mending when little healing is required.
- Renew while moving and healing is required.
- Smite an enemy when no healing is required.
At level 10 you also gain our baseline Mastery ability, Mastery: Echo of Light. This does not change your playstyle much at all, it just provides some extra healing from your spells in the form of a heal-over-time (HoT) effect.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Holy Priest
With Dragonflight, a lot of spells you will learn early on are going to be class-wide spells. You will only start unlocking Holy-specific abilities and passives once you select it as your active specialization past Level 10.
To avoid overloading the guide with redundant information which is easily understood from opening your spell book, we suggest you read the detailed spell guide for more information on each relevant spell and how it is used in WoW.
Holy Priest War Mode Talents for Leveling
If you choose to level up with War Mode on, there is only one useful PvP talent to assist you while questing. Greater Fade replaces Fade and adds a movement speed increase which is always welcome while levelling.
If you plan on doing PvP battlegrounds while levelling, Holy Ward, Ray of Hope, and Sanctified Ground are all very versatile choices to help keep yourself and your allies alive.
Best Heirloom Items for Holy Priest Leveling
If you have a choice in a particular slot when selecting your heirlooms, focus on the item with the most intellect (Mostly relevant for trinkets) or prioritize Haste, Critical Strike, and Versatility. Each of those stats provides a good contribution to both damage and healing.
You should equip new quest rewards when their item level starts beating out your previous set of gear.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 12 Jul. 2023: Fixed an issue with the talent tree displaying incorrectly.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 08 May 2023: Fixed some broken talent suggestions.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 27 Feb. 2023: Talent tree update.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 24 Jan. 2022: Updated for patch 10.0.5 talent changes.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2
- Full Trading Post Rotation for December 2023
- New Returning Items Tab for Trading Post Items in Patch 10.2.5
- Will Sylvanas Return in Patch 10.2.5?
- Night Elf Paladin NPC Spotted in Patch 10.2.5
- New Trading Post Mount in Patch 10.2.5 - Savage Blue Battle Turtle