Holy Priest Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
Spec Suggestion for Leveling
While Holy Priest is more than capable of being levelled to 60, Priests generally level as Shadow as it provides superior damage significantly speeding up the questing process. That said wen venturing into Dungeons and PVP Battlegrounds, Holy Priest is a fun change of pace and does a great job at keeping your allies alive.
Gearing is quite simple as a levelling Holy Priest with the value of Intellect being really high. Your focus should be on obtaining as much Intellect on gear as possible which means typically prioritising item level. Intellect increases the amount of damage your spells do as well as how much healing they do. Secondary stats provide a similar benefit but significantly less power while levelling and can largely be ignored.
As a Priest, your weapon's contribution to your damage and healing is through the Intellect it provides. Focusing on wearing the weapon combination,either staff or main-hand/off-hand, with the most intellect should be your priority.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as a Holy Priest
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Trail of Light
- Level 25: Angelic Feather
- Level 30: Guardian Angel
- Level 35: Censure
- Level 40: Surge of Light
- Level 45: Divine Star
- Level 50: Apotheosis
Rotation to Level Up as a Holy Priest
Starting at Level 1, you only have Smite, so just spam this for now.
- Shadow Word: Pain is your first damage over time spell. This should be put up on nearly every mob you fight and can be very helpful for tagging enemies quickly.
- Mind Blast is a hard hitting single target spell you should prepull with and use on cooldown.
- At level 6 you learn Power Word: Fortitude; make sure you keep this buff up on yourself and allies at all times.
- Use Psychic Scream to fear mobs away if you ever pull too much or need to get away from enemies.
- Shadow Word: Death is our primary execute ability and should ideally only be used on targets less than 20% health.
- Starting with level 19 Mind Blast is replaced with Holy Fire, which becomes your highest priority damage spell to cast.
- At 23 you get Holy Word: Chastise, which hits reasonably hard but also disorients the target. Its cooldown is reduced by casting Smite so despite it having a 1-minute cooldown you will often be able to cast it much sooner.
- Holy Nova is your first and only spammable AoE spell which takes over as your priority for 3 or more enemies.
- Apotheosis is our recommended level 50 talent. When cast, this talent provides you with increased cooldown reduction applied to Holy Word: Chastise when casting Smite.
- Power Infusion is another major cooldown added to your kit you should use to squeeze out more damage when needed.
Once you reach level 15, you will be able to queue for dungeons. This route is most suited for a healing spec like Holy Priest. As mentioned earlier in the guide, it is suggested if you plan on questing through your levels you will find it much faster to spec Shadow for most or all of your leveling journey. To get a full understanding of the complete kit and how to fully utilise it, have a look at our rotation page. A brief summary of our casting priority can also be found below:
- Holy Word: Serenity on an injured ally.
- Holy Word: Sanctify when most of your group is injured.
- Flash Heal for emergency healing.
- Divine Star if talented, when most of your group is injured.
- Circle of Healing when most of your group is injured.
- Heal for regular healing, utilising Trail of Light to heal multiple allies.
- Prayer of Healing when your whole group is injured.
- Prayer of Mending when little healing is required.
- Renew while moving and healing is required.
- Smite an enemy when no healing is required.
At level 10 you also gain our baseline Mastery ability, Mastery: Echo of Light. This does not change your playstyle much at all, just provides some extra healing from your spells in the form of a heal over time (HoT) effect.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Holy Priest
With Shadowlands, a lot of spells you will learn early on are going to be class-wide spells. You will only start unlocking Holy specific abilities and passives once you select it as your active specialization past Level 10.
To avoid overloading the guide with redundant information which is easily understood from opening your spell book, we suggest you read the detailed spell guide for more information on each of relevant spell and how it is used in WoW.
Holy Priest War Mode Talents for Leveling
If you choose to level up with War Mode on, there is really only one useful PvP talent to assist you while questing. Greater Fade replaces Fade and adds a movement speed increase which is always welcome while levelling.
Best Heirloom Items for Holy Priest Leveling
If you have a choice in a particular slot when selecting your heirlooms, focus on the item with the most intellect (Mostly relevant for trinkets) or prioritise Haste, Critical Strike and Versatility. Each of those stats provide good contribution to both damage and healing.
You should equip new quest rewards when their item level starts beating out your previous set of gear.
There are several consumable items that can be purchased that will help you with your leveling speed.
- Skystep Potion increases your movement speed by 150% (more than a mount!) for 8 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown. This is extremely useful and should be used often and aggressively for any travel that is more than ~100 yards long.
- Gunshoes are an Engineering item that increase your movement speed by 200% for 25 seconds. These will make you almost as fast as a Flying mount. We recommend having a lot of these, and using them whenever you are traveling more than ~250 yards.
- Goblin Glider Kit is very useful for covering long distances from high places.
The Gunshoes will not let you stop moving for as long as they are active. Using this macro twice will click the buff off and allow you to stop.
- /use Gunshoes
- /cancelaura Gunshoes
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 22 Nov. 2020: Reviewed for Shadowlands release.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Guide added.
- Things to Do Before Dragonflight
- Warlock Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Great Vault Added to the Map of Valdrakken
- Rogue Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Patch 9.2.7 Hotfixes: October 3rd
- Priest Changes Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Warrior Gladiator and Elite PvP Sets in Dragonflight
- Shadowlands Season 4 Fated Raid Mythic DPS Log Rankings, Week 9: Sepulcher