Arcane Mage PvP Guide (Dragonflight 10.0.7)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Mage PvP guide.
Arcane Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Arcane Mages are the most unique Mage specialization. Unlike the other two specs that focus on consistent damage and crowd control, Arcane focuses heavily on using its utility and damage abilities to outsmart opponents. By using abilities like Mass Invisibility to land crucial crowd control onto enemy healers. With the new expansion, Arcane has received significant changes to the toolkit as well as the way damage is dealt.
Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7
Many of the specializations in WoW are receiving moderate changes during the upcoming patch, however Arcane Mage has been untouched and will continue to be a powerful contender as a caster in PvP.
Arcane Mages' Strengths
- Great mobility
- Strong single-target damage
- Great control and utility
- Strong Survivability
Arcane Mages' Weaknesses
- Only one major casting school
- Predictable burst damage
Notable 10.0 Changes
- New Class and specialization Talent revamp
- Legendary and Covenant abilities disabled outside of Shadowlands content
- Every specialization of Mage now has access to Dragon's Breath and other similar strong utility talents
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Arcane Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Arcane Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Arcane Mages.
- On the Arcane Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Arcane Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 12 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 17 Oct. 2020: Updated Weaknesses section.
- 12 Oct. 2020: This page was checked for patch 9.0.1 and no updates were necessary.
Other PvP Guides
- Riders of Azeroth Spotted in Zaralek Cavern in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of the Druid Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Week #2
- World Boss Liskanoth Available on Live Servers During the Week of March 28th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 27th: Class Tuning
- A Preview of Sporebat Rock Mounts in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of Death Knight Crucible Raid Set in Patch 10.1
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Week 1