Arcane Mage PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (Shadowlands 9.0.2)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Arcane Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Arcane Mages are the most unique Mage specialization. Unlike the other two specs that focus on consistent damage and crowd control, Arcane has the option to just deal damage. This means you do not need to rely on getting a Polymorph on the enemy healer to get a kill.
Arcane Mages' Strengths
- Great mobility
- Strong single-target damage
- Great control and utility
Arcane Mages' Weaknesses
- Only one major casting school
- Predictable burst damage
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Arcane Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Arcane Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Arcane Mages.
- On the Arcane Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Arcane Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 12 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 17 Oct. 2020: Updated Weaknesses section.
- 12 Oct. 2020: This page was checked for patch 9.0.1 and no updates were necessary.
- An Excellent Class and Spec Pick Flowchart Meme (Or Is it?)
- There Are Worse Fates than Being Carried by a Kyrian...
- Players Manipulate Turn Speed Variable while Mind Controlling Others
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 15th
- How to Get Raid, PvP and Any Legendary Memories Without Doing the Related Activity
- How to Loot Faster in World of Warcraft
- How to Fool Bots With Toys
- Patch 9.1 Will Be Released in Spring 2021