Arcane Mage PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.2.5)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Mage PvP guide.
Arcane Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Arcane Mages are the most unique Mage specialization. Unlike the other two specs that focus on consistent damage and crowd control, Arcane focuses heavily on using its utility and damage abilities to outsmart opponents. By using abilities like Mass Invisibility to land crucial crowd control onto enemy healers, or setting up large damaging abilities like Arcanosphere, in Patch 9.2 and beyond, Arcane is a force to be reckoned with.
Changes in Patch 9.2.5 (Shadowlands Season 4)
There are very few changes to PvP coming into Season 4; all Cosmic Gladiator pieces now are higher item level and named Eternal Gladiator. There are no new trinkets as well. Arcane Mage has received a small 15% damage increase to Arcane Missiles as well as Incanter's Flow no longer having a 25% reduction in PvP, making it a very strong talent for consistent damage.
Changes in Patch 9.2
Patch 9.2 has not brought many changes to Arcane Mage, and the specialization will continue to play very similarly to previous patches while also continuing to be a very niche specialization. With the patch, Unity is now available to act as both the covenant-specific legendary and a second equippable Legendary and could make for a different pacing of the game.
- The 2-set bonus for wearing 2 PvP trinkets has been reworked to instead grant 175 Intellect and 500 Stamina.
- Tier Sets are back, granting additional bonuses from Arcane Mage 2-Piece and Arcane Mage 4-Piece for Arcane Mage.
- Five new PvP trinkets have been added:
Arcane Mages' Strengths
- Great mobility
- Strong single-target damage
- Great control and utility
Arcane Mages' Weaknesses
- Only one major casting school
- Predictable burst damage
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Arcane Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Arcane Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Arcane Mages.
- On the Arcane Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Arcane Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 12 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 17 Oct. 2020: Updated Weaknesses section.
- 12 Oct. 2020: This page was checked for patch 9.0.1 and no updates were necessary.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st