Arcane Mage PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Arcane Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Arcane Mages are the most unique Mage specialization. Unlike the other two specs that focus on consistent damage and crowd control, Arcane has the option to just deal damage. This means you do not need to rely on getting a Polymorph on the enemy healer to get a kill.
Arcane Mages' Strengths
- Great mobility
- Strong single-target damage
- Great control
Arcane Mages' Weaknesses
- Only one casting school
- Predictable burst damage
- Very few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Arcane Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Arcane Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Arcane Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Arcane Mages.
- On the Arcane Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Arcane Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 26 Dec. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 19 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated PvP talents section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Updated Azerite Traits section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 27 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section and Item Recommendations.
- 13 Dec. 2018: Updated Azerite traits section.
- 12 Dec. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.
- 19 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table and updated recommended tier 2 regular talent.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Revamped guide.
- Removed Artifact Traits, Relics, PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- Added Stat Priority and Azerite trait sections.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated Air Drops section.
- 24 Jul. 2018: Made many updates to the guide.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added War Mode sections.
- Updated all talent sections.
- Added PvP talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 29 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 22 Mar. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- Updated recommended Tier 3 honor talent.
- 24 Jan. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 05 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- Updated "About The Author".
- Replaced unnecessary "Blinks" with "Shimmer".
- 18 Sep. 2017: Reviewed the guide for Patch 7.3 (no important changes needed)
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Updated burst damage rotation.
- 27 Jul. 2017: Updated description for the talent "Shimmer".
- 12 Jul. 2017: Updated recommendation for Tier 3 and 4 honor talents.
- 16 Apr. 2017: Guide added.
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 2nd
- Optional Crafting Reagents Update: June 2nd
- World First Mythic +28 Tol'Dagor Cleared in Time
- Dredwing Mounts in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through June 5th
- Specific Vendor Corruptions Prediction Theories
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 1st
- Fist of Justice / Ineffable Truth Hotfix Cancelled