Balance Druid Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When you are leveling, equip the highest item level gear. You will be replacing your gear often enough that you can indiscriminately equip based on item level without worrying about other stats.
Balance Druid Mechanics
When leveling in open-world or in dungeons, Balance Druid is a very basic builder-spender rotation priority. The basic idea is to rotate between Eclipses, which last 15 seconds and take two spells to enter the next one after the previous expires. Apply your DoTs ( Moonfire and Sunfire) to your target and cast the Eclipse-appropriate filler ( Wrath for Solar and Starfire for Lunar). When you have enough Astral Power, you can cast a spender ( Starsurge on single target and Starfall on multiple-targets).
Here are some explanations for some of the phrases inside the guide that may help you understand it more:
- A DoT refers to Damage over Time spells such as Moonfire and Sunfire.
- Fillers refer to spells that generate your main resource, which is Astral Power. Fillers should always be cast when there is nothing else we can do. Our fillers are Wrath and Starfire.
- A spender is an ability that consumes our main resource. These are powerful abilities that a crucial to damage dealing. Starsurge is spent on single or priority targets and Starfall on multiple targets.
Balance Druid Cooldowns
Balance Druid is a class with only a single baseline cooldown and a few Talent cooldowns. Celestial Alignment is your baseline cooldown and provides the benefit of both Eclipse states, allowing you to cast whatever you want as well as buffing all of your spells. On single targets, you will still be casting Wrath, and on multiple-targets you will want to cast Starfire. Celestial Alignment resets your Eclipses allowing you to choose which one to enter after the buff expires.
You talent cooldowns can be cast whenever. For leveling, many of those talents can be outshone by what is suggested, but if you do pick any of them, Fury of Elune should be cast on multiple-targets or on cooldown, Force of Nature should be cast on cooldown or to help your tank, and Warrior of Elune should be cast inside Lunar Eclipse and on multiple-targets or on cooldown.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as Balance Druid
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Nature's Balance
- Level 25: Wild Charge
- Level 30: Restoration Affinity
- Level 35: Mighty Bash
- Level 40: Soul of the Forest
- Level 45: Stellar Drift
- Level 50: Solstice
Rotation to Level Up as a Balance Druid
Due to Balance only being unlocked as a talent specialization at Level 10, you should make use of the abilities provided to you in the intro quests until you are presented with the option.
- Enter Moonkin Form and be in this form at all times.
- Apply Moonfire on the target.
- Apply Sunfire on the target.
- Cast Celestial Alignment on cooldown.
- Enter Eclipse by casting two Wraths or Starfires.
- Cast Fury of Elune on cooldown.
- Cast Starsurge when available on a single target and inside Eclipse.
- Cast Starfall on more than one target.
- Cast Wrath or Starfire as a filler to build Astral Power inside Eclipse.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Balance Druids
The following list is each ability you unlock along the way:
- At Level 10, Starfire is unlocked; this is the designated filler while inside Lunar Eclipse.
- At Level 11, Starsurge is unlocked; this is our single target nuke. Try to use this at the beginning of every Eclipse as it further empowers your fillers.
- At Level 19, Remove Corruption is unlocked; a utility ability used to cure Poison and cleanse Curses.
- At Level 21, Moonkin Form is unlocked; you want to be in form at all times.
- At Level 23, Sunfire is unlocked; an AoE DoT which should always be kept on the target.
- At Level 26, Solar Beam is unlocked; a strong AoE silence ability with a long cooldown.
- At Level 28, Typhoon is unlocked; a crowd control ability which knocks back and slows all targets in front of you.
- At Level 34, Starfall is unlocked; a pulsing damaging aura that deals damage to all targets in a large area.
- At Level 39, Celestial Alignment is unlocked; balance's major cooldown granting 10% Haste and granting the benefits of both Eclipse states.
Alongside the ability unlocks, there are also passive effects that improve your abilities unlocked along the way:
- At Level 10, Mastery: Total Eclipse is unlocked, which increases your damage inside Eclipse.
- At Level 11, Eclipse is unlocked; allowing you access to both Solar and Lunar Eclipse which reduces the cast time of their respective fillers by 8%. Additionally Wrath deals bonus damage and Starfire has bonus Critical Strike chance.
- At Level 27, Astral Influence is unlocked, increasing the range of all of your spells by 5-yards.
- At Level 32, Sunfire rank 2 is unlocked, making Sunfire to cleave to all targets within 8-yards of your main target.
- At Level 33, Moonfire rank 3 is unlocked, increasing the duration of both DoTs by 6-seconds.
- At Level 47, Eclipse rank 2 is unlocked, increasing the cast time reduction to 15%.
- At Level 49, Shooting Stars is unlocked, giving your DoTs a chance to deal a small amount of damage and generating 3 Astral Power.
- At Level 54, Starfall rank 2 is unlocked, which adds 4-seconds onto all of your active DoTs when cast.
- At Level 56, Starsurge rank 2 is unlocked, increasing increasing the bonuses of your Starsurge on your Eclipse state. The bonus increases from 4% up to 6% per Starsurge cast.
Balance Druid War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking balance Druid-specific PvE talents.
Balance Druid PvP Talents for Leveling
In this section we will list the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Note that these may not be optimal in actual PvP situations.
- Moonkin Aura is amazing for group combat and strong for solo content as well. This can buff all members in your party and help finish quests and rares faster. We would recommend this for all group content.
- Thorns can provide minimal peel or damage in open-world content.
Congratulations on reaching Level 60! Now that you have hit Level 60, we recommend looking at our Easy mode page to get a good overview of the class!
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 18 Apr. 2021: Updated for clarity.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 22 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 13 Oct. 2020: Guide added.
- How to Receive Different Weapons from Zereth Mortis World and Daily Quests
- Very Solid Ocean Near Stormwind Defeats Player
- Impressive Stormwind Recreation in Minecraft (Video)
- Idol of Y'Shaarj Shadow Priest Talent Explained
- Upcoming Sepulcher of the First Ones Raid Tuning: July 5th
- A Preview of Priest Talent Trees in Dragonflight
- World of Warcraft Totem Art
- Expanding the Development Pipeline of World of Warcraft