Holy Paladin Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
In most cases, you will want to prioritize item level as you are going through the leveling process. This means selecting whatever has the highest item level. There is one exception to this rule and that is when you have a ring or neck with only 1 secondary stat instead of having 2. In these rare cases, selecting the item with the lower item level is acceptable.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as an Holy Paladin
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Crusader's Might
- Level 25: Holy Prism
- Level 30: Fist of Justice
- Level 35: Cavalier
- Level 40: Holy Avenger
- Level 45: Sanctified Wrath
- Level 50: Glimmer of Light
Rotation to Level Up as a Holy Paladin
When you first create your Paladin, you will only have one ability available to you: Crusader Strike. At level 2 you will unlock Shield of the Righteous and at level 3 you gain Judgment. At level 10 you can officially spec into Holy and gain access to Holy Shock.
- Use Holy Shock on cooldown.
- Use Judgment on cooldown.
- Use Crusader Strike on cooldown.
- If you are fighting multiple targets, you can choose to drop Consecration.
Once you reach level 10, you will be able to queue for dungeons. If you plan on leveling as Holy, you will want to make use of the dungeon finder tool. It will be by far the most efficient way to level up when playing Holy. If you are interesting in an in-depth rotation breakdown you can check out our rotation page. Otherwise, we have a short summary on how to use some of the healing spells available to Holy Paladin:
- Cast Holy Shock off cooldown.
- Cast Hammer of Wrath when an enemy is below 20% Health to generate 1 Holy Power. Only do this if no one is in danger of dying.
- Cast Aura Mastery if your group is taking large amounts of damage. Make sure you have Devotion Aura selected!
- Cast Avenging Wrath if your group is taking a lot of damage or you would like to deal more damage. This is your primary cooldown to increase your healing/damage.
- Cast Light of Dawn if you have 3 Holy Power and you have 3 or more allies in need of healing.
- Cast Light of the Martyr if your target needs an immediate heal while you are moving and have no time to cast.
- Cast Holy Prism on an enemy if you are in need of group wide healing. If you have only one target who needs healing, cast on them instead.
- Cast Bestow Faith off cooldown.
- Cast Word of Glory if you have 3 Holy Power and your target is in need of healing.
- Cast Holy Light if your target won't die before you finish the cast.
- Cast Flash of Light if your target is in danger of dying if they do not receive an immediate heal.
- Use your DPS rotation (detailed above) if no healing is required.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Holy Paladin
While most classes received spec abilities that were specific to what they wanted to play, Paladin is relatively generic. Despite specializing in Holy, you gain access to the majority of your healing abilities before you reach level 10 and have the opportunity to select Holy. That being said, there are still important cooldowns and utility abilities unique to Holy which you will only unlock once you begin leveling up as Holy.
To prevent cluttering the guide with a lot of the same information, we recommend you take a look at our dedicated spell page which will provide you with more in-depth information on Holy Paladin spells.
Holy Paladin War Mode Talents for Leveling
Here you will find information on the best PvP talents for both leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content.
Holy Paladin PvP Talents for Leveling
- Avenging Light is excellent in group content, as it provides free damage to your party. Holy Light is an ability you will likely use a lot, and Avenging Light will cause it to damage enemies whenever you choose to heal an ally with Holy Light.
- Light's Grace makes one of your main abilities ( Holy Light), significantly stronger. This talent will not have much use in solo play, but it is excellent when healing allies.
- Darkest before the Dawn allows you to stack up your Light of Dawn to do quite a bit more healing. As you will not be casting this ability very frequently, it makes it even stronger when you do choose to use it to keep your group healthy.
Holy Paladin unfortunately does not have any strong solo leveling PvP talents. Most of their benefits will only be seen while playing in group content. PvP talents not listed above are not worth considering as they do not provide use outside of very niche situations.
Best Heirloom Items for Holy Paladin Leveling
When making the decision of which heirlooms to purchase or use, you will want to target items that offer Crit or Haste. Both those stats provide significant DPS increases and make Healing on Holy Paladin feel a lot better.
You should equip new quest rewards when their item level starts beating out your previous set of gear.
There are several consumable items that can be purchased that will help you with your leveling speed.
- Gunshoes are a mandatory item for leveling. They provide an extremely large movement speed increase. It is a bonus comparable to what you get when flying. It is highly recommended you stock up on these items when leveling in Shadowlands.
- Goblin Glider Kit can be a life-saver when jumping off large cliffs or when you want to cover a long distance.
The Gunshoes will not let you stop moving as long as they are active. Using this macro twice will click the buff off and allow you to stop.
- /use Gunshoes
- /cancelaura Gunshoes
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 21 Nov. 2020: Leveling guide updated to include Shadowlands changes and how to use cooldowns.
- 11 Nov. 2020: Updated level requirement for the dungeon finder.
- Alliance Sepulcher Mythic Hall of Fame Closing this Week
- Sepulcher of the First Ones 9.2.5 Mythic DPS, Tank and Healer Log Rankings, Week 5: Affliction Is Back
- How to Receive Different Weapons from Zereth Mortis World and Daily Quests
- Very Solid Ocean Near Stormwind Defeats Player
- Impressive Stormwind Recreation in Minecraft (Video)
- Idol of Y'Shaarj Shadow Priest Talent Explained
- Upcoming Sepulcher of the First Ones Raid Tuning: July 5th
- A Preview of Priest Talent Trees in Dragonflight