Restoration Shaman PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (Shadowlands Pre-Patch 9.0.1)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Shaman PvP guide.
Restoration Shaman in the Current Meta
Restoration Shamans are the most versatile healers in the game. With roots, slows, strong healing output, some mobility, and even a ranged interrupt they always have a place on an Arena team.
Restoration Shaman Strengths
- Several spells that heal when you are in crowd control or interrupted
- Multiple utility spells
- Purge is crucial in matchups
- Wind Shear is critical for offensive pressure, and stopping crowd-control.
- Passive healing through Pack Spirit.
Restoration Shaman Weaknesses
- Heavily dependent on rotating cooldowns for keeping teammates alive.
- Healing throughput is moderate, not strong.
- No immunities or damage reduction healing cooldowns.
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Restoration Shaman PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Restoration Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (healing, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Restoration Shaman PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Restoration Shaman PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Restoration Shaman PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Restoration Shamans in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Restoration Shaman PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Restoration Shamans.
- On the Restoration Shaman Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Restoration Shamans, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 18 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 16 Dec. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essence section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst and Sustained healing.
- 26 May 2019: Updated Stat Priority.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Several changes made to guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 1 regular talent.
- Updated Sustained and Burst Healing sections.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 31 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated Guide for patch 8.1.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst Healing.
- Updated Sustained Healing.
- Updated Defensive Techniques.
- Updated Best Team Compositions.
- 05 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendation section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table and updated tier 1, 2, and 6 regular talents.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 28 Sep. 2018: Removed Artifact Traits section.
- Removed Relics section.
- Added Stat Priority section.
- Added Azerite Trait section.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated Air Drops section.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Updated tiers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 talent sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Burst Healing and Sustained Healing sections.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Updated Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 23 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 07 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- Updated recommended Tier 1 regular talent.
- 20 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 09 Nov. 2017: Made several updates.
- Changed recommended tier 1 regular talents.
- Changed recommended tier 2 and 5 honor talents.
- Updated sustained and burst healing rotations.
- 13 Sep. 2017: Changed recommended tier 4 honor talents.
- 09 Sep. 2017: Added additional description for Tier 5 honor talents and updated sustained and burst healing rotations.
- 28 Jul. 2017: Guide added.
- Shadowlands Is Less than 24 Hours Away
- Your Last Chance to Claim Uncorrupted Voidwing!
- The Bag Guy Music Video and Memes
- Everything We Know About Flying in the Shadowlands So Far
- Healer Spec Shadowlands Outlook and Pre-patch Rankings
- Insane Paladin Justicar's Vengeance One-Shot Combo
- 50 to 60 Fast: DesMephisto's Shadowlands Leveling Guide Completed
- Tank Spec Shadowlands Outlook and Pre-patch Rankings