Enhancement Shaman Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. You will often be replacing these gear pieces very quickly, so just equip whatever comes to you without worrying about secondary stats.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as an Enhancement Shaman
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Lashing Flames
- Level 25: Stormflurry
- Level 30: Spirit Wolf
- Level 35: Hailstorm
- Level 40: Nature's Guardian or Feral Lunge
- Level 45: Sundering
- Level 50: Ascendance
Rotation to Level Up as an Enhancement Shaman
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main damaging ability: Lightning Bolt. This will change at level 10, when you can select Enhancement as your specialization and unlock additional abilities tied to it. Until you reach this point use Lightning Bolt and Flame Shock when unlocked at level 3 to kill enemies.
- Keep Lightning Shield active on yourself
- Make sure to have Windfury Weapon and Flametongue Weapon imbued at all times.
- Cast Frost Shock if you have Hailstorm stacks.
- Cast Crash Lightning on cooldown if in AoE.
- Cast Flame Shock if it is not active on your target.
- Cast Stormstrike on cooldown.
- Cast Feral Spirit on cooldown.
- Cast Lightning Bolt/ Chain Lightning (if AoE) if you have 5 or more stacks of Maelstrom Weapon.
- Cast Sundering.
- Cast Lava Lash on cooldown.
- Cast Frost Shock.
- Cast Primal Strike.
- Cast Crash Lightning on cooldown.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Enhancement Shaman
With the new leveling system in Shadowlands, class abilities are a prominent part of specs again, and represent many of the abilities you gain while leveling. You will only start unlocking Enhancement specific abilities and passives once you select it as your active specialization past Level 10.
In addition to baseline abilities unlocked for Shaman, there are multiple spec specific abilities that are granted to Enhancement to make it function as a melee spec during the leveling process:
- Windfury Weapon is unlocked, a main hand weapon imbue that should be kept active at all times.
- Lava Lash is unlocked, low damage filler strike that deals damage with your off-hand weapon.
- Stormstrike is unlocked, a high damage Physical strike that deals damage with both weapons at once that replaces Primal Strike.
- Feral Spirit is unlocked, Enhancement's main cooldown tool that summons two guardian wolves that deal light damage and generate Maelstrom Weapon.
- Crash Lightning is unlocked, which is Enhancement's main AoE tool and also a filler strike.
- Spirit Walk is unlocked, an active speed increase ability that also removes roots when cast.
- Windfury Totem is unlocked, a support totem that assists nearby melee party members when active.
Alongside the ability unlocks, there are also passive effects that improve your abilities unlocked along the way:
- Mastery: Enhanced Elements is unlocked, increasing your Fire, Frost and Nature damage dealt and increasing the chance to trigger Windfury Weapon/ Stormbringer.
- Lava Lash Rank 2 is unlocked, reducing its cooldown by 6 seconds.
- Stormbringer is unlocked, granting special attacks a small chance to reset the cooldown of Stormstrike.
- Maelstrom Weapon is unlocked, giving melee hits a 20% chance to grant a stacking buff that reduces the cast time and increases the damage of some spells.
- Stormbringer Rank 2 is unlocked, causing the reset to also increase the damage of your next Stormstrike by 25%.
- Chain Lightning Rank 2 is unlocked, causing it to reduce the cooldown of Crash Lightning by 1 second per target hit.
- Windfury Totem Rank 2 is unlocked, increasing the chance to trigger to 20%.
If you would like to know more specific details about any of these abilities you can check our spell page.
Enhancement Shaman War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents for leveling and solo /small group PvE content in the order of priority for Enhancement Shaman.
- Ride the Lightning provides the largest damage increase option, and should be picked first.
- Shamanism allows for more liberal Bloodlust / Heroism usage without having to worry about the 10-minute lockout. It is great for solo and duo content.
- Skyfury Totem provides a moderate boost when staying in the same area, increasing your Critical Strike damage and Healing by 20% for 15-seconds, with a 40-second cooldown that is low enough to be used liberally, and boosting allies within its range on top of that.
- Counterstrike Totem replicates and reflects damage you take for 15 seconds, on a 45-second cooldown. This can be really strong when in a high damage area to convert your health into damage onto enemies.
Swelling Waves and Spectral Recovery can be useful if you are struggling to sustain yourself between encounters. Ethereal Form, Seasoned Winds, Static Field Totem, Unleash Shield and Grounding Totem have very limited PvE uses, being more focused on in-combat control more suited to a PvP engagement, and as such are not really recommended for efficient enemy killing.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 16 Oct. 2020: Added Primal Strike line for lower levels.
- 12 Sep. 2020: Guide added.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Legion Timewalking: Mage-Bound Spelltome Checklist
- Mecha-Done Achievement Made Easy in Patch 9.1.5
- Final Fantasy 14 Director on WoW Players Switching Over
- 9.1.5 PTR Patch Notes: October 13th
- Season of Mastery Beta Update: October 13th
- More Realistic 3D Renders of WoW Characters
- Shadowlands 9.1 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS, Tank and Healer Log Rankings, Week 14