Elemental Shaman PvP Guide (Dragonflight 10.1)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Shaman PvP guide.
Elemental Shaman in the Current Meta
Elemental Shamans have a combination of high burst, interrupts, disruption, and mobility. The playstyle focuses on setting up burst damage while controlling the positioning of the match. Elemental Shaman's class design that mainly contributes to this is Primordial Wave, Stormkeeper, Earth Shock, and Lightning Lasso.
Notable 10.1 Changes
- Burrow is a new immunity that can deal damage and interrupt casters.
- Flame Shock's dispel protection is now baseline.
- Earthgrab Totem is now on 30-second cooldown instead of 1 minute.
- Seasoned Winds lasts 18 seconds and can stack up to 3 times.
- Lava Burst increase damage by 20%.
- Volcanic Surge new PvP talent, Increases the damage of Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning by 25% and the damage of Lava Burst by 45%. Lava Surge has an additional 100% chance to trigger and instead reduces the cast time of your next Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning by 25%, stacking up to 2 times.
Strengths of Elemental Shaman
- High sustained damage with Primordial Wave, and Deeply Rooted Elements causing strong Lava Burst pressure
- High burst damage with Earth Shock, and Stormkeeper's empowered Lightning Bolts
- Strong mobility and kiting with Gust of Wind, Thunderstorm and Earthgrab Totem
- 5-second stun and moderate damage with Lightning Lasso, which cannot be dispelled but can be interrupted.
- Dispel protection of Flame Shock
- Has Healing Surge and Healing Stream Totem for strong off-healing
- Short cooldown interrupt in Wind Shear
- Grounding Totem and Tremor Totem provide strong utility to the team
Weaknesses of Elemental Shaman
- Predictable burst damage
- Dependent on procs of Lava Surge based on Flame Shock which can be dispelled
- When focused, it can be challenging to generate Maelstrom
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it into different pages.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (damage, burst, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Elemental Shaman in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Elemental Shaman.
- On the Elemental Shaman Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Elemental Shamans, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 06 May 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.1.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.0.7.
- 04 Feb. 2023: Updated for 10.0.2 updates.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 27 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2 of Shadowlands
- 17 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5 of Shadowlands.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.0.5 for Shadowlands.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated ahead of first Shadowlands PvP Season.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page and removed Azerite/Essence mentions. More updates to come.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
Other PvP Guides
- A Video Overview of the June Trading Post Items
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 Hotfixes, May 31st
- Wrath Classic Arena Fixes and Calculations
- Dragonflight 10.1.5 PTR Patch Notes: May 31st
- June Trading Post Rewards and Activities Revealed: Three Mounts and More!
- Dragonflight Season 2 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Week 3
- New Action Bar Animations in Patch 10.1.5
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 Hotfixes, May 30th