Elemental Shaman PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Shaman PvP guide.
Elemental Shaman in the Current Meta
Elemental Shamans are a mid to top tier caster right now. They are currently one of the highest bursting classes, with the strongest hybrid healing and utility in the game. Elemental Shaman's class design that mainly contributes to this is Lightning Lasso, and Stormkeeper. Elemental Shaman are now much more viable in Rated Battlegrounds, they bring the utility and kill potential a team needs.
Strengths of Elemental Shaman
- Very high instant-cast burst damage with Earth Shock empowered by Lava Shock, and Stormkeeper's empowered Lightning Bolts
- 5-second stun and significant damage with Lightning Lasso, which cannot be dispelled
- Good mobility and kiting
- Has Healing Surge for strong off-healing
- Short cooldown interrupt in Wind Shear
- Grounding Totem and Tremor Totem provide strong utility to the team
Weaknesses of Elemental Shaman
- Moderate damage outside of burst windows
- When focused it is challenging to generate Maelstrom
- Play-style is dependent on Azerite traits
- Few defensive cooldowns
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (damage, burst, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Elemental Shaman in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Elemental Shaman.
- On the Elemental Shaman Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Elemental Shamans, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 02 Feb. 2020: Updated the guide for Patch 8.3.
- 21 Dec. 2019: Split guide into new format.
- 18 Nov. 2019: Updated to refine the burst rotation.
- 28 Jul. 2019: Updated stat priorities for Elemental Shaman.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Updated the guide for Patch 8.2, including the Azerite Essences, stat priorities, and meta changes.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated the guide to align with Patch 8.1 PvP hotfixes, changes to Azerite traits, and stat priorities.
- 17 Dec. 2018: Updated the guide for Patch 8.1, which included significant changes for Elemental Shaman.
- 20 Nov. 2018: Updated the guide to correctly reference the Lava Shock Azerite Trait and not the ability (when appropriate).
- 14 Nov. 2018: Updated guide for Battle for Azeroth 8.0.1, changed Authors.
- 23 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 07 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 20 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 16 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2. Changed recommended tier 4 honor talents.
- 23 Sep. 2017: Few changes needed for Patch 7.3
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Updated burst damage rotation.
- 01 Jul. 2017: Updated recommended Tier 5 honor talent.
- 01 Jun. 2017: Elemental Shaman PvP Guide was created.
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: Class Changes
- Unique Icy Veins Death Knight Armor Set by Handclaw
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34490: New Anima Powers
- Shade Beast Mounts in Shadowlands