Elemental Shaman PvP Guide (Dragonflight 10.0.2)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Shaman PvP guide.
Elemental Shaman in the Current Meta
Elemental Shamans have a combination of high burst, interupts, and disruption, and mobility. The playstyle focuses around setting up burst damage while controlling the positioning of the match. Elemental Shaman's class design that mainly contributes to this is Mountains Will Fall, Stormkeeper, Earth Shock, and Lightning Lasso.
Strengths of Elemental Shaman
- High burst damage with Earth Shock, and Stormkeeper's empowered Lightning Bolts
- Strong mobility and kiting with Gust of Wind, Thunderstorm and Earthgrab Totem
- 5-second stun and significant damage with Lightning Lasso, which cannot be dispelled
- Dispel protection of Flame Shock when using Control of Lava
- Has Healing Surge and Healing Stream Totem for strong off-healing
- Short cooldown interrupt in Wind Shear
- Grounding Totem and Tremor Totem provide strong utility to the team
Weaknesses of Elemental Shaman
- Predictable burst damage
- Dependent on procs of Lava Surge based on Flame Shock which can be dispelled
- When focused it can be challenging to generate Maelstrom
- Few defensive cooldowns
Notable 10.0 Changes
- New Class and specialization Talent revamp
- Legendary and Covenant abilities disabled outside of Shadowlands content
- Lightning Bolt now does significant damage with Improved Lightning Bolt and Call of Thunder
- Improved defensives with Ethereal Form, Primordial Bond and Elemental Warding
- Gust of Wind has returned giving more mobility
- Earthgrab Totem makes rooting and then kiting melee easier
- Swelling Maelstrom gives 50 more Maelstrom to pool before bursting
- Surge of Power now gives 2 Lightning Bolt Elemental Overloads after Earth Shock
- Searing Flames and Inundate give easy passive ways to generate Maelstrom
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (damage, burst, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Elemental Shaman in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Elemental Shaman PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Elemental Shaman.
- On the Elemental Shaman Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Elemental Shamans, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 27 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2 of Shadowlands
- 17 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5 of Shadowlands.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated based on Patch 9.0.5 for Shadowlands.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated ahead of first Shadowlands PvP Season.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page and removed Azerite/Essence mentions. More updates to come.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Feldrake Twitch Drop Claiming Issues and Possible Solutions in Dragonflight
- Get a Free 34-Slot Bag Fast in Dragonflight
- Doubleagent at Level 65
- Giant Dragonflight Class Tuning: Deceber 6th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.2 Hotfixes: December 2nd
- In-Game Location of the Dragonflight Login Screen
- Everyone Is a Raid Boss and They Fight it Out - and So Can You!
- Secret Room in Valdrakken Inn Leads to a Dance Party