Beast Mastery Hunter Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as a Beast Mastery Hunter
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows:
- Level 15: Killer Instinct
- Level 25: Scent of Blood
- Level 30: Trailblazer
- Level 35: A Murder of Crows
- Level 40: Posthaste
- Level 45: Barrage for an AoE focus on pulling many mobs, Stomp for raw DPS.
- Level 50: Aspect of the Beast
Rotation to Level Up as a Beast Mastery Hunter
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main attack ability: Steady Shot.
- Arcane Shot is a good way of spending excess Focus. It does slightly more damage than Steady Shot and it is instant.
- Kill Command is your main DPS ability and is used on cooldown every single time.
- Barbed Shot gives your pet the 8-second Frenzy buff. This stacks up to 3 times and should be kept up as often as possible. The best way to play is to cast Barbed Shot when there is less than a second left on Frenzy.
- Cobra Shot is basically a stronger Arcane Shot. It also reduces the cooldown of Kill Command by 1 sec when cast. This will basically replace Arcane Shot as a way to spend excess Focus.
- Multi-Shot is unlocked at Level 29, but should never actually be used until Level 32, when you unlock Beast Cleave.
- At Level 32, you unlock Beast Cleave. It causes Multi-Shot to make your pet hit all targets around it for 4 seconds after using it. You should start using Multi-Shot whenever there is more than 2 targets up to maintain this buff.
- Bestial Wrath is your first damage cooldown. Use it as often as you can right before entering combat.
- A Murder of Crows is a strong 15-second DoT that resets its cooldown when a mob dies with it on them. You should be using this on mobs that will live for most of its duration, but still die before it ends to get the most value. It is also a good source of burst damage for large, dangerous mobs in general.
- Aspect of the Wild is your second cooldown. Use it alongside Bestial Wrath right before entering combat, as often as possible.
- Kill Shot does extremely heavy damage, but it can only be used on targets below 20% health. Use it to kill off low-health enemies.
- Barrage is a powerful, but risky ability. It is extremely useful for pulling large groups of mobs together when paired with Misdirection on your pet, but it can also backfire and pull way more than you intended. Use this wisely, especially in dungeons!
In addition to these baseline abilities, there are a number of passive effects that you unlock throughout the leveling process that are worth knowing about:
- Mastery: Master of Beasts increases your pet damage by 15% baseline and unlocks the Mastery stat which amplifies this effect.
- Pack Tactics doubles your passive Focus regeneration.
- Wild Call gives your auto-shot crits a small chance to reset the cooldown of Barbed Shot.
- Kindred Spirits increases you and your pet's maximum Focus to 120.
- Exotic Beasts allows you to tame special Exotic Beasts. This is unique to Beast Mastery Hunters.
- From Level 47, your Barbed Shot will reduce the remaining cooldown of Bestial Wrath by 12 seconds.
Beast Mastery Hunter War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Beast Mastery Hunter-specific PvE talents.
Beast Mastery Hunter PvP Talents for Leveling
- Dire Beast: Hawk causes a hawk to circle around a target area, dealing damage to all targets within. This is a great supplement to your AoE damage when doing big pulls in the open world.
- Dire Beast: Basilisk is a powerful choice for bursty single-target damage. It is useful for world PvP if you can keep your opponent slowed enough for the Basilisk, and it is very powerful for rare mobs and quest mobs with a lot of health.
- Hunting Pack is a useful mobility option, allowing you to use Aspect of the Cheetah much more often.
- Wild Protector reduces the damage taken of all allies near your pet by 10%. Since you are often close to the targets you encounter in the open world, this is very useful for survivability.
The Beast Within, Interlope, Survival Tactics, Dragonscale Armor, Viper Sting, Spider Sting, Scorpid Sting, and Hi-Explosive Trap have limited use in PvE content in terms of increasing your damage in the open world, but they can be situationally useful.
Best Leveling Pet for Beast Mastery Hunter
All pets do the same damage, but they vary in their utility and special abilities. For Leveling, the best pet is any Ferocity-type pet, as they heal themselves whenever they do damage, allowing you to make larger pulls and rely on Beast Cleave to keep your pet topped up.
Ferocity pets also come with Primal Rage which is a Bloodlust effect. This should be used as often as possible when you are fighting for over thirty seconds.
You can find a list of all the Pets and the abilities they bring on our Spell Summary Page.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 18 May 2021: Added Barrage and A Murder of Crows to the rotation.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 21 Dec. 2020: Altered the unlock level of Exotic Beasts.
- 28 Oct. 2020: Altered the Cobra Shot ability unlock, and expanded on the Barbed Shot rotation paragraph.
- 27 Oct. 2020: Removed deprecated "trinket-style" PvP Talent section.
- 11 Sep. 2020: Guide added.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power