Havoc Demon Hunter Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 8 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. You will often be replacing these gear pieces very quickly, so just equip whatever comes to you without worrying about secondary stats.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as Havoc Demon Hunter
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Demonic Appetite
- Level 25: Insatiable Hunger
- Level 30: Unbound Chaos
- Level 35: Soul Rending
- Level 40: First Blood
- Level 45: Master of the Glaive
- Level 50: Demonic
Rotation to Level Up as a Havoc Demon Hunter
Unlike many classes, you start at Level 8 and enter into the Demon Hunter intro campaign on Mardum. Some abilities are unlocked as you progress through this story segment, granting access to your core Havoc abilities when you select your specialization at Level 10.
- Cast Fel Rush to engage targets.
- Cast Fel Rush to engage targets, or with Unbound Chaos active.
- Cast Eye Beam on cooldown.
- Cast Immolation Aura on cooldown.
- Use Metamorphosis as frequently as possible (especially against tough enemies).
- Cast Blade Dance in AoE (or if you have First Blood in single-target after Level 40).
- Cast Chaos Strike whenever you have enough Fury.
- Cast Demon's Bite to generate Fury.
- Cast Throw Glaive whenever possible to pull faraway enemies.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Havoc Demon Hunters
A large chunk of your abilities will be unlocked through story beats in Mardum, so by the time you leave most of your kit will be complete.
- You begin at Level 8 with access to a number of
abilities, due to how high your starting level is.
- Demon's Bite is unlocked, your main Fury builder.
- Chaos Strike is unlocked, your single-target Fury spender.
- Fel Rush is unlocked, Havoc's instant mobility tool.
- Chaos Nova is unlocked during Mardum, an AoE crowd control option.
- Metamorphosis is unlocked during Mardum, your main cooldown.
- Vengeful Retreat is unlocked during Mardum, an extra mobility tool.
- At Level 11, Eye Beam is unlocked, a burst AoE cooldown that costs Fury.
- At Level 12, Blade Dance is unlocked, your AoE Fury spender.
- At Level 21, Blur is unlocked, your defensive tool.
- At Level 39, Darkness is unlocked, a group defensive utility.
Alongside the ability unlocks, there are also passive effects that improve your abilities unlocked along the way, which begin to unlock after you select the Havoc specialization at Level 10:
- At Level 10, Mastery: Demonic Presence is unlocked, your Mastery, which increases Chaos damage and Movement speed.
- At Level 13, Demonic Wards is unlocked, passively reducing Magic damage taken.
- At Level 14, Chaos Strike Rank 2 is unlocked, increasing the Fury refund chance to 40%.
- At Level 20, Metamorphosis Rank 2 is unlocked, causing it to grant 25% Haste when active.
- At Level 22, Blade Dance Rank 2 is unlocked, reducing its cooldown by 6 seconds.
- At Level 23, Eye Beam Rank 2 is unlocked, causing it to deal guaranteed Critical Strikes.
- At Level 28, Demonic Wards Rank 2 is unlocked, increasing the damage reduction to 10%.
- At Level 28, Fel Rush Rank 2 is unlocked, granting an additional charge.
- At Level 32, Unrestrained Fury is unlocked, increasing maximum Fury by 10.
- At Level 33, Blur Rank 2 is unlocked, causing it to also reduce damage by 20% when active.
- At Level 38, Chaos Nova Rank 2 is unlocked, granting it a 30% chance to shatter a Soul Fragment when it stuns a target.
- At Level 41, Vengeful Retreat Rank 2 is unlocked, causing it to slow targets hit by 70% for 3 seconds.
- At Level 43, Unrestrained Fury Rank 2 is unlocked, increasing maximum Fury by an additional 10.
- At Level 47, Darkness Rank 2 is unlocked, reducing its cooldown by 120 seconds.
- At Level 48, Metamorphosis Rank 3 is unlocked, reducing its cooldown by 60 seconds.
- At Level 52, Fel Rush Rank 3 is unlocked, increasing its damage by 25%.
- At Level 54, Metamorphosis Rank 4 is unlocked, causing it to reset the cooldown of Eye Beam and Blade Dance when cast.
- At Level 56, Chaos Strike Rank 3 is unlocked, increasing its damage by 10%.
- At Level 58, Eye Beam Rank 3 is unlocked, causing it to grant you 15% Haste for 12 seconds after fully channeling.
Havoc Demon Hunter War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section, we will rank the PvP talents for leveling and doing solo or small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Havoc Demon Hunter-specific PvE talents.
- Demonic Origins allows for more liberal usage of Metamorphosis and lower wasted duration, alongside giving a flat damage boost whenever not transformed.
- Unending Hatred has limited uses depending on the enemy type, but of the remaining selections, it has the best applications for constant gameplay, and is a good boost to resource generation in caster heavy areas.
- Isolated Prey provides a solid increase for single enemies to help with tougher elites.
- Chaotic Imprint will buff the damage dealt by Chaos Strike and Eye Beam, and since Throw Glaive is often used to pull targets is easy to get active.
Reverse Magic, Detainment, Cover of Darkness, Cleansed by Flame, Mortal Dance, and Glimpse all have very limited uses in PvE, due to it being very focused upon crowd control tools, or pressuring enemy players into spending more resources than they would otherwise want to.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 17 May 2021: Changed selection to Unbound Chaos.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Guide added.
- More Realistic 3D Renders of WoW Characters
- Shadowlands 9.1 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS, Tank and Healer Log Rankings, Week 14
- Rogue Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- Death Knight Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- Finkle Einhorn Renamed to Pip Quickwit
- Patch 9.1, BCC and WoW Classic Hotfixes: October 12th
- Unlock Sarge Free in World of Warcraft Starting Today
- Players Waiting in Line for Loot from the Weekly Chest