Havoc Demon Hunter Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 8 to 70 (Dragonflight 10.2)
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. You will often be replacing these gear pieces very quickly, so just equip whatever comes to you without worrying about secondary stats.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as Havoc Demon Hunter
Your first talent point unlocks at Level 10.
Your talent points should be spent as follows.
Rotation to Level Up as a Havoc Demon Hunter
Unlike many classes, you start at Level 8 and enter into the Demon Hunter intro campaign on Mardum. Some abilities are unlocked as you progress through this story segment, granting access to your core Havoc abilities when you select your specialization at Level 10.
- Cast The Hunt as frequently as possible (especially against tough enemies).
- Cast Fel Rush to engage targets.
- Cast Felblade to engage targets
- Use Metamorphosis as frequently as possible (especially against tough enemies).
- Cast Immolation Aura when at 2 charges to trigger Unbound Chaos.
- Cast Fel Rush with the Unbound Chaos buff active to trigger Inertia.
- Cast Eye Beam on cooldown.
- Cast Eye Beam on cooldown with less than 70 fury.
- Cast Vengeful Retreat after Eye Beam to trigger Initiative windows.
- Cast Essence Break after Eye Beam.
- Cast Vengeful Retreat on cooldown, try to pair every other cast with Essence Break.
- Cast Blade Dance on cooldown.
- Cast Immolation Aura on cooldown.
- Cast Immolation Aura to generate Fury and trigger Unbound Chaos.
- Cast Fel Rush with the Unbound Chaos buff active.
- Use Metamorphosis as frequently as possible when Eye Beam and Blade Dance are on cooldown. (especially against tough enemies).
- Cast Blade Dance on cooldown against multiple enemies.
- Cast Chaos Strike whenever you have enough Fury.
- Cast Sigil of Flame in AoE situations, or to generate Fury.
- Cast Demon's Bite to generate Fury.
- Cast Felblade to generate Fury.
- Cast Throw Glaive when you need to pull enemies from a distance.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Havoc Demon Hunters
A large number of your abilities will be unlocked through story beats in Mardum, so by the time you leave, most of your kit will be complete.
- You begin at Level 8 with access to several
abilities due to how high your starting level is.
- Demon's Bite is unlocked, your main Fury builder.
- Chaos Strike is unlocked, your single-target Fury spender.
- Fel Rush is unlocked, Havoc's instant mobility tool.
- Spectral Sight is unlocked, allowing you to see enemies and treasures highlighted through walls.
- At level 10 Vengeful Retreat is unlocked as an extra mobility tool.
- At Level 11, Eye Beam is unlocked, a burst AoE cooldown that costs Fury.
- At Level 12, Blade Dance is unlocked, your AoE Fury Spender.
- At Level 16, Throw Glaive is unlocked, a ranged cast to pull mobs.
- At Level 18, Blur is unlocked, your defensive tool.
- At level 20, Metamorphosis is unlocked and it is your main cooldown.
- At level 20, Disrupt is unlocked; this is your kick to interrupt target casts.
Alongside the ability unlocks, there are also passive effects that improve your abilities unlocked along the way, which begin to unlock after you select the Havoc specialization at Level 10:
- At Level 10, Mastery: Demonic Presence is unlocked, your Mastery, which increases Chaos damage.
- At Level 13, Demonic Wards is unlocked, passively reducing Magic damage taken.
- At Level 18, Immolation Aura Rank 2 is unlocked causing it to instantly deal Fire damage on the cast.
- At Level 22, Blade Dance Rank 2 is unlocked, reducing its cooldown by 5 seconds.
- At Level 27, Immolation Aura Rank 3 is unlocked, increasing its duration by 4 seconds.
- At Level 42, Spectral Sight Rank 2 is unlocked, decreasing its cooldown by 30 seconds.
- At Level 49, Chaos Brand is unlocked, debuffing enemies you damage, causing them to take 5% increased magic damage from all sources.
Havoc Demon Hunter War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section, we will rank the PvP talents for leveling and doing solo or small-group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Havoc Demon Hunter-specific PvE talents.
- Chaotic Imprint will always buff Chaos damage dealt, such as Chaos Strike and Eye Beam. Also great to pair with talents such as Soulrend due to the conversion to magic damage, causing Throw Glaive to deal significantly more damage.
- Unending Hatred is just free additional Fury generation as you will frequently be taking damage in the open world.
- Sigil Mastery reduces the cooldown of sigils, such as Sigil of Flame and Elysian Decree, which can be a small DPS gain.
Reverse Magic, Detainment, Cover of Darkness, Cleansed by Flame and Glimpse all have very limited uses in PvE, due to it being very focused on crowd control tools or pressuring enemy players into spending more resources than they would otherwise want to.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7, no changes necessary.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 22 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)