Discipline Priest PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.2.5)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Priest PvP guide.
Discipline Priests in the Current Meta
Discipline Priests are one of a kind. In order to heal their team effectively they need to combine traditional healing and absorption spells, and damaging spells on the enemy to heal through Atonement. That makes Discipline Priests excellent offensive healers able to support their DPS with damage while healing with it. They also bring an offensive purge to the team for even more offensive pressure. However they are not very mobile and run out of Mana quickly.
Noteworthy Shadowlands Changes
Patch 9.2.5 Changes
- The Honor Talent Blaze of Light now increases the damage of Penance and Smite by 30% (was 15%).
- Power Word: Shield now absorbs 10% more damage in PvP combat.
Patch 9.2 Changes
- The PvP trinket set bonus has been changed and now increases Intellect by 175 and Stamina by 300 (was 40% increase to the Versatility stat's bonus damage and healing).
- Five new PvP trinkets have been added:
- The Discipline Priest set bonus has been added. The Discipline Priest 2-Piece is a decent increase to your sustained healing, and will allow you to save a bit of Mana when it procs. The Discipline Priest 4-Piece bonus significantly increases your burst healing and burst damage by empowering your Power of the Dark Side (note that the effect is nerfed by 33% in PvP combat).
- Two Legendaries can be equipped. One has to be a Covenant one and be equipped through Unity.
Patch 9.1 Changes
- The Honor Talent Inner Light and Shadow has been added.
- The Honor Talent Blaze of Light has been added.
- The Honor Talent Ultimate Radiance now increases the healing of Power Word: Radiance by 150% (was 250%).
- The Honor Talent Trinity no longer increases Atonement's damage to healing transfer by 20% and now increases the critical strike chance of Smite, Penance, and Shadowfiend by 30% (was 25%).
- Atonement damage to healing transfer has been increased by 20% in PvP combat.
Strengths of Discipline Priests
- Powerful defensive cooldowns
- Strong sustained damage
- Offensive purge
Weaknesses of Discipline Priests
- High Mana consumption when hard-casting heals
- Very little mobility
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (healing, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Discipline Priests in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Discipline Priests.
- On the Discipline Priest Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Discipline Priests, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 28 Jul. 2022: Reviewed for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 01 Jul. 2022: Rewritten and further updated for Patch 9.2.5.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- Added Notable Changes section.
- 23 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 02 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 08 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 30 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page, removed Azerite mentions, and updated gear section.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st