Discipline Priest PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Priest PvP guide.
Discipline Priests in the Current Meta
Discipline Priests have the most unique style of all the healers. Not only do they do a large majority of their healing with damage, but they are the only healer with 2 healing schools. This makes them a force to be reckoned with when playing with aggressive classes.
Discipline Priest Strengths
- Dispel Magic and Mass Dispel are crucial
- Great defensives versus melee teams
- Multiple crowd control abilities
Discipline Priest Weaknesses
- Run out of Mana quickly
- Very little mobility
- Easy to crowd control
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (healing, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Discipline Priests in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Discipline Priest PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Discipline Priests.
- On the Discipline Priest Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Discipline Priests, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 29 Nov. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Several changes made for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor essence section.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Burst healing.
- Updated Best Team Compositions.
- 12 May 2019: Several changes made to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear Recommendations section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 09 Feb. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section.
- 05 Jan. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.1.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear Recommendations.
- Updated PvP Talents section.
- Updated The Opener section.
- Updated Sustained Damage section.
- 28 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Guidelines section.
- 04 Oct. 2018: Removed Artifact traits and Relics section.
- Added Stat priority and Azerite trait sections.
- Added Talent Table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated Air Drops section.
- 28 Jul. 2018: Updated Guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated introduction.
- Updated tier 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 regular talents.
- Added War Mode section.
- Added PvP Talents section.
- Added PvP Gear section.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Healing and Sustained Healing sections.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Updated Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 09 Jun. 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 12 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- Updated recommended Tier 2 honor talent.
- 16 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 14 Sep. 2017: Updated tier 1 talent discussion slightly.
- 30 Aug. 2017: Removed artifact trait description.
- 08 Jul. 2017: Guide added.
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 2nd
- Optional Crafting Reagents Update: June 2nd
- World First Mythic +28 Tol'Dagor Cleared in Time
- Dredwing Mounts in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through June 5th
- Specific Vendor Corruptions Prediction Theories
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 1st
- Fist of Justice / Ineffable Truth Hotfix Cancelled