Fire Mage PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.1.5)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Fire Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Fire Mages are in a great place in terms of PvP. It is by far the strongest of the three Mage specs. The main class a Mage should be looking to pair with is a Rogue, Shadow Priest, or Warrior. With coordinated stuns into Polymorphs and a strong healer (Restoration Druid or Holy Paladin), Fire Mage compositions typically have very large on-demand damage, as well as long crowd control chains on enemies. The updates of Patch 9.1 have not changed Fire Mage's playstyle, and will continue to have bursty instant-cast damage, with small downtime in between.
Changes in Patch 9.1.5
Patch 9.1.5 has not brought many changes to Fire Mage which in turn, still makes Fire Mage one of the strongest casters in the game for PvP. The biggest change is the nerf to Triune Ward, which now provides 35% barrier effectiveness down from 50%. This change is very important to most Mages because Triune Ward is the typical go-to defensive Legendary. However, with this change, other offensive Legendary Powers like Disciplinary Command and Fevered Incantation could potentially be more viable.
Fire Mages' Strengths
- Strong crowd control
- High burst damage
- Multiple casting schools
Fire Mages' Weaknesses
- Consistent damage is low
- Predictable burst damage
- Will struggle versus teams with two melee on it
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Fire Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Fire Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Fire Mages.
- On the Fire Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Fire Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Lead Cinematic Designer Revisits the Original Black Temple Trailer
- World of Warcraft on Game Pass: How Would It Work?
- Potential Impact of the Microsoft Acquisition on the Future of WoW
- Blizzard on Tier Set Design in Patch 9.2
- Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Reportedly Leaving the Company After Microsoft Acquisition is Complete
- Microsoft + Activision Blizzard Acquistion Memes and Funny Images
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 3, Patch 2.5.3 Notes
- An Excerpt from Bobby Kotick's Email to Staff