Fire Mage PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (Shadowlands 9.0.2)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Fire Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Fire Mages are in a great place in terms of PvP. It is by far the strongest of the three Mage specs. The main class a Mage should be looking to pair with is a Rogue or Destruction Warlock. With coordinated stuns into Polymorphs and a strong healer (Mistweaver Monk or Holy Paladin), Rogue/Mage/HPally is a force to be reckoned with on the PvP ladder.
Fire Mages' Strengths
- Strong crowd control
- High burst damage
- Multiple casting schools
Fire Mages' Weaknesses
- Consistent damage is low
- Predictable burst damage
- Will struggle versus teams with two melee on it
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Fire Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Fire Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Fire Mages.
- On the Fire Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Fire Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Spec Tier List for Mythic+ in Shadowlands
- Fan Concept of Nightborne Customization Options
- Vicarious Visions Studio Being Merged Into Blizzard by Activision
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 22nd
- Upcoming PvP Class Tuning: January 26th
- Official Overview of All Shadowlands Mounts, Pets and Toys Part 1
- Castle Nathria Tank and Healer Log Rankings and Analysis
- 21 Billion Gold Moves Through WoW Each Day