Fire Mage PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Mage PvP guide.
Fire Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Fire Mages are in a great place in terms of PvP. It is by far the strongest of the three Mage specs. The main class a Mage should be looking to pair with is a Rogue or Destruction Warlock. With coordinated stuns into Polymorphs and a strong healer (Mistweaver Monk or Holy Paladin), Rogue/Mage/HPally is a force to be reckoned with on the PvP ladder.
Fire Mages' Strengths
- Strong crowd control
- High burst damage
- Multiple casting schools
Fire Mages' Weaknesses
- Consistent damage is low
- Predictable burst damage
- Will struggle versus teams with two melee on it
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Fire Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Fire Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Fire Mages.
- On the Fire Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Fire Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 23 Jun. 2020: Updated strengths and weaknesses.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 30 Oct. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Updated Major Essences.
- Updated PvP Talents to account for Conflict and Strife.
- 05 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 1 and 4 regular talents.
- Updated PvP talents section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- Updated Best Team Compositions.
- 27 Apr. 2019: Updated Azerite Traits section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 27 Jan. 2019: Updated Gear Recommendations section and Item Recommendations.
- 13 Dec. 2018: Updated Azerite traits section.
- 12 Dec. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.
- 19 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Revamped guide.
- Removed Artifact Traits, Relics, PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- Added Azerite trait section.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated Air Drops section.
- 17 Aug. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Updated tiers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 regular talents sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Updated Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 29 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 22 Mar. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- Updated recommended Tier 3 and 6 honor talents.
- 24 Jan. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 05 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2. Updated "About The Author".
- 15 Sep. 2017: No major changes were made for Patch 7.3.
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- 27 Jul. 2017: Updated description for the talent "Shimmer".
- 01 Jul. 2017: Checked and confirmed that no updates are needed for Patch 7.2.5.
- 09 Apr. 2017: Checked and confirmed that no updates are needed for Patch 7.2.
- 28 Feb. 2017: Various updates.
- Changed recommended regular talents for tier 60, 75, 90.
- Added 2 new defensive abilities Fire Mages recently received.
- Updated burst rotation.
- 03 Nov. 2016: Changed the recommended tier 6 talent choice to Living Bomb.
- 19 Sep. 2016: Updated the burst damage rotation to fix an error.
- 08 Sep. 2016: Guide added.
- Big PvP Updates Coming to Shadowlands Beta
- Average Player Leveling in the Pre-patch and Shadowlands Will Take 8-10 Hours
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854: Class Changes Recap
- Player Solos All Alliance Faction Leaders
- Shadowlands Mythic Season 1 End-of-Run Rewards Capped Below Castle Nathria Heroic Item Level
- Shaman Class Changes in Shadowlands Beta 9.0.2 Build 35854
- Engineer's Workshop: The WoW Companion App and Multi-Expansion Support
- Fan-Made Shadowlands Login Screen