Fire Mage PvP Guide (Dragonflight 10.0.7)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Mage PvP guide.
Fire Mages' Place in the Current Meta
Fire Mages are one of the most unique caster specializations. The damage profile for Fire heavily relies on the hit and run playstyle. Utilizing heavy Crowd Control setups with Combustion on an isolated target makes Fire Mage a force to be reckoned with. The main class a Mage should be looking to pair with is a Rogue, Shadow Priest, or Warrior. With coordinated stuns into Polymorphs and a strong healer (Holy Priest or Holy Paladin), Fire Mage compositions typically have very large on-demand damage, with low consistant damage as well as long crowd control chains on enemies.
Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7
Fire Mage has not seen any significant changes for this upcoming patch, and will remain very similar to the current state of the Fire specialization.
Fire Mages' Strengths
- Strong crowd control
- High burst damage
- Multiple casting schools
Fire Mages' Weaknesses
- Consistent damage is low
- Predictable burst damage
- Will struggle versus teams with two melee on it
Notable 10.0 Changes
- New Class and specialization Talent revamp
- Legendary and Covenant abilities disabled outside of Shadowlands content
- Dragon's Breath now has a 45 second cooldown
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority that Fire Mages need to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Fire Mages in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Fire Mage PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Fire Mages.
- On the Fire Mage Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Fire Mages, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Riders of Azeroth Spotted in Zaralek Cavern in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of the Druid Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Week #2
- World Boss Liskanoth Available on Live Servers During the Week of March 28th
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 27th: Class Tuning
- A Preview of Sporebat Rock Mounts in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of Death Knight Crucible Raid Set in Patch 10.1
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Week 1