Windwalker Monk PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
Windwalker Monks in the Current Meta
Windwalker Monks are one of the best melee specializations in the game right now. They not only have some of the best spread pressure as a melee, they have almost unmatched single-target burst. All it takes is one coordinated set-up for a Windwalker Monk to quickly kill an enemy.
Strengths of Windwalker Monks
- Great mobility
- Strong team utility
- Strong self-healing
Weaknesses of Windwalker Monks
- Weak sustained damage
- No defensive abilities when stunned
- Difficult for newer players
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Windwalker Monk PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Windwalker Monk PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (healing, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Windwalker Monk PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Windwalker Monk PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Windwalker Monk PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Windwalker Monks in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Windwalker Monk PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Windwalker Monks.
- On the Windwalker Monk Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Windwalker Monks, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 12 Nov. 2019: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Essences and Alliance Races.
- 01 Jul. 2019: Several changes made for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor essence section.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst Damage rotation.
- 27 Apr. 2019: Updated Gear section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Made several changes to the guide.
- Updated Gear Recommendations.
- Updated Talent Table.
- 01 Jan. 2019: Updated guide for patch 8.1.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated talent table.
- Updated Tiers 3, 5 and 7 regular talents.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst Damage rotation.
- Updated Sustained Damage rotation.
- Updated Arena Compositions section.
- 29 Oct. 2018: Updated Gear Recommendations section.
- 12 Oct. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 24 Sep. 2018: Removed Artifact Traits section.
- Removed Relics section.
- Added Stat Priority section.
- Added Azerite Traits section.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated Air Drops section.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Updated Tiers 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 regular talent sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Updated Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 03 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 16 Mar. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- Updated Tier 7 regular talent, tier 2 honor talent, and Burst Damage section.
- 21 Jan. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 30 Nov. 2017: Updated guide for Patch 7.3.2.
- Updated "About The Author".
- Updated recommended tier 7 regular talent.
- Updated recommended tier 5 honor talent.
- Updated "Burst Damage" rotation.
- 05 Sep. 2017: Updated recommended Tier 2 and 6 regular talents, as well as burst and sustained damage rotations.
- 28 Jun. 2017: Updated recommended Tier 7 regular talent and burst rotation.
- 05 Apr. 2017: Updated recommended Tier 3 honor talent.
- 03 Mar. 2017: Guide added.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd