Subtlety Rogue PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.0.5)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Rogue PvP guide.
Subtlety Rogues in the Current Meta
Subtlety Rogues are one of best melee specializations in the game at the moment. They have one of the best control toolkits in the game with Blind and Kidney Shot, but most importantly with Shadow Dance, enabling them to access Sap and Cheap Shot at will. They also have strong on-demand burst damage, allowing them to score kills when the entire enemy team is in CC.
Strengths of Subtlety Rogues
- Great control
- Strong burst
- Decent mobility
- Powerful defensive cooldowns
Weaknesses of Subtlety Rogues
- No defensive abilities when stunned
- Long cooldown on defensive abilities
- Reliant on teammates to stay alive
- Weaker when facing Orc/Human+Relentless enemies
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Subtlety Rogue PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Subtlety Rogue PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Subtlety Rogue PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Subtlety Rogue PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Subtlety Rogue PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Subtlety Rogues in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Subtlety Rogue PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Subtlety Rogues.
- On the Subtlety Rogue Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Subtlety Rogues, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 28 Mar. 2021: Rewritten by Shadenox and further updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 18 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Removed old Azerite mentions and updated gear page.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Added Covenant page.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 5: Boss Damage Only Rankings Added
- Player Loots One of the Rarest Item in WoW
- A Different Kind of AFK Story
- WoW Patch Timeline from Vanilla to Shadowlands Patch 9.1
- Potentially Infinite Breath of Sindragosa Bug
- Elwynn Forest Without the Trees
- Covenants Per Spec in Castle Nathria and Mythic+ for Top Players
- Animated Ulna World Quest Up on US Servers!