Frost Death Knight Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 8 to 70 (Dragonflight 10.2.5)
When you get the option to Runeforge, make sure you apply Rune of Unending Thirst to your main hand and Rune of the Fallen Crusader to your off-hand. If you are using a Two-Handed weapon, then use Rune of Unending Thirst.
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Until you pick up Obliterate, your primary means of spending Runes is through Rune Strike.>
Depending on which race you picked, you will start at a different level, and have a slightly different intro:
- If you picked an Allied Race then you start at level 10.
- On the other hand, if you started with a non-allied race you start at level 8.
You will start selecting talents at level 10, building your character as you gain one point per level to spend.
Talents to Level Up as a Frost Death Knight
Your first talent unlocks at Level 10.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
Rotation to Level Up as a Frost Death Knight
Starting off you will only have one main attack ability: Rune Strike.
- Rune Strike is your main damaging ability.
- Use Death Coil when you have 80+ Runic Power or no available Runes. You won't use this ability once you pick up Frost Strike.
- Raise Dead should be used off cooldown or for bosses/elite mobs.
- Pillar of Frost when you open on a pack.
- Frostwyrm's Fury should be paired with Pillar of Frost and used on big packs, elites, or boss mobs.
- Abomination Limb to quickly group up and AoE down groups of mobs.
- Empower Rune Weapon should be paired with Pillar of Frost and used on big packs, elites, or boss mobs.
- Howling Blast to consume procs of Rime.
- Obliterate is your main damaging ability and Rune spender.
- Remorseless Winter whenever there are 2+ targets or the target will last the duration.
- Spend your Runic Power on Frost Strike when you are either about to cap Runic Power (70+) or do not have Runes available.
There are several passive abilities that you unlock through the leveling process that can change your play style and rotation.
- Rime takes the highest priority in 2+ target scenarios so make sure you take advantage of these procs to maximize their damage.
- Killing Machine is a passive ability that gives your auto attack Critical Strikes the chance to make your next Obliterate critically strike.
- Dark Succor is incredible for leveling, allowing you to easily heal and stay at high health while chain-pulling packs and mobs.
- Frostreaper - Killing Machine now causes your next Obliterate to deal Frost damage, which means your Obliterate now scales off of your Mastery stat meaning it gains further benefit.
Frost Death Knight Defensive Abilities while Leveling
- Anti-Magic Shell is a very strong magic shield that also generates Runic Power. This should be used whenever magic damage is present to take advantage of the Runic Power generation.
- Lichborne is an extremely powerful ability for leveling, as it provides you with a good chunk of Leech. Use this cooldown to take advantage of the healing and try to pair it with high AoE or burst combinations.
- Control Undead costs 1 Rune but allows you to take control of an undead target for 5 minutes; use this whenever available to help you in future pulls.
- Icebound Fortitude is an amazing defensive cooldown that should be used whenever necessary to order to keep you moving from pack to pack.
- Raise Ally cannot be used when solo leveling, however, it is fantastic in dungeon groups if you decide to level that way.
- Death's Advance is one of your only movement speed cooldowns making it incredibly useful when leveling. The secondary effects of this are not too useful in leveling scenarios, except for the passive that prevents you from being slowed past a certain point.
- Anti-Magic Zone is a group/raid cooldown however, it can easily be used when solo leveling to minimize magic damage taken in a large pull or against an elite that deals magic damage.
Frost Death Knight War Mode Talents for Leveling
This section will go over the PvP talents for leveling content for Frost Death Knights.
Frost Death Knight PvP Talents for Leveling
- Deathchill can help in large pulls to prevent mobs from all attacking you at the same time!
- Necrotic Aura is a solid DPS boost since a large portion of our AoE is magical damage
- Spellwarden is just a nice defensive boost (due to the shorter cooldown). There are no other good talents.
- 15 Jan. 2024: Reviewed for Patch 10.2.5.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Season of Discovery Hotfixes: February 26th
- Dragonflight 10.2.5 Hotfixes, February 26th
- Amirdrassil 10.2.5 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 6
- This Week in WoW: February 26th
- Glory of the Uldir Raider Solo Guide
- The Most Fun and OP Removed Racial Abilities
- The Most Popular Specializations in Mythic+ in Dragonflight Season 3 Week 15
- Mass Mage Bot Activity Uncovered in the Stockade Dungeon on Crusader Strike Realm