Vengeance Demon Hunter Dragonflight Leveling Guide From 8 to 70 (Dragonflight 10.0.2)
Item level is always more important than individual stats when leveling up. Always choose the piece of gear with the highest item level.
Rotation and Talent Breakdown
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
You unlock your Demon Hunter talent tree at level 10 and will get access to points to spend in the Vengeance tree starting at level 11.
Below is what talents and abilities recommended that you access as you level. Note that talents may differ fromwhat is recommended for other content once you hit level 70.
Talents to Level Up as a Vengeance Demon Hunter
- Demon hunters must level as Havoc until Level 10.
- Level 10 — Sigil of Flame is an AoE ability that triggers after 2 seconds. Sigil of Flame will explode for an initial amount of Fire damage and provide a DoT, dealing Fire damage over time.
- Level 10 — Vengeful Retreat is a movement ability with a 25-second cooldown. It removes all snares, deals a low amount of physical damage and launches you backwards.
- Level 11 — Fel Devastation is a frontal AoE with a 1 minute cooldown. This spell should be used on cooldown after pulling 2 or more enemies. This spell will also provide a small amount of healing while channeled. Fel Devastation should be used on every cooldown to pull a small pack of enemies to maximize the damage.
- Level 12 — Blazing Path grants a second charge of Infernal Strike.
- Level 13 — Fiery Brand deals moderate fire damage to your target, causing them do deal 40% less damage to you for 10 seconds.
- Level 14 — Shattered Restoration point 1 increases healing from your Shattered Souls by 5%.
- Level 15 — Frailty causes enemies hit by Sigil of Flame to get a stack of Frailty, causing you to heal for 8% of all damage you deal to them for 6 seconds.
- Level 16 — Shattered Restoration point 2 increases healing from your Shattered Souls by 5%.
- Level 17 — Perfectly Balanced Glaive reduces the cooldown of Throw Glaive by 6 seconds.
- Level 18 — Imprison is a 1-minute duration single-target crowd control effect on a 45-second duration with a 20 yard range that works on Demon, Beast, and Humanoid targets. Using it before you enter combat with a target will not put you in combat and reduce the range at which the enemy will enter combat with you.
- Level 19 — Fracture replaces Shear, it has two charges and gives 25 fury and spawns two lesser soul fragments when cast.
- Level 20 — Improved Disrupt makes your interrupt Disrupt have a 15-yard range instead of a 5-yard range.
- Level 21 — Meteoric Strikes reduces the cooldown of Infernal Strike by 8 seconds.
- Level 22 — Felblade is an active ability with a 15-second cooldown (reduced by Haste) that charges your target and deals Fire damage to them. It generates 40 Fury, and using Shear or Fracture has a low chance to reset Felblade's cooldown.
- Level 23 — Deflecting Spikes causes Demon Spikes to also increase your parry chance by 15% for the full duration.
- Level 24 — Pursuit adds a passive effect to your mastery stat, increasing your movement speed slightly.
- Level 25 — Sigil of Silence places a Sigil on the ground and 2 seconds later silences all enemies in the Sigil for 6 seconds. It has a 1.5-minute cooldown.
- Level 26 — Rush of Chaos reduces the cooldown of Metamorphosis by 60 seconds.
- Level 27 — Spirit Bomb costs 40 Fury and consumes up to 5 available Soul Fragments and deals fire damage based on the amount consumed to all enemies in range. Applies 1 stack of Frailty to each target hit.
- Level 28 — Soul Rending point 1 grants you 5% leech, as well as 5% additional leech while you have Metamorphosis active.
- Level 29 — Burning Blood point 1 increases fire damage done by 5% per talent point.
- Level 30 — Soul Rending point 2 grants you 10% leech, as well as 10% additional leech while you have Metamorphosis active.
- Level 31 — Burning Blood point 2 increases fire damage done by 5% per talent point.
- Level 32 — Demonic grants you 8 seconds of Metamorphosis when using Fel Devastation.
- Level 33 — Volatile Flameblood generates 5-10 Fury randomly when Immolation Aura deals critical damage. May only occur once every second.
- Level 34 — Master of the Glaive grants a second charge of Throw Glaive and slows enemies hit by 50% for 6 seconds.
- Level 35 — Darkglare Boon point 1 reduces the cooldown of Fel Devastation after its cast by 10-20% and refunds 10-20 fury.
- Level 36 — Chaos Nova is a 2-second AOE-stun on a 1-minute cooldown. It costs 30 fury and deals a low amount of chaos damage to every target hit.
- Level 37 — Darkglare Boon point 2 reduces the cooldown of Fel Devastation after its cast by 20-40% and refunds 20-40 fury.
- Level 38 — Chaos Fragments gives a 30% chance to spawn a Lesser Soul Fragment for each target stunned by Chaos Nova.
- Level 39 — Void Reaver, targets afflicted by Frailty now deals 4% less damage to you. Causes enemies struck by Soul Cleave to be afflicted by Frailty for 5 seconds.
- Level 40 — Illidari Knowledge point 1 reduces magic damage taken by 3%.
- Level 41 — Soul Furnace makes your next Soul Cleave or Spirit Bomb deal 40% increased damage after every 10 Soul Fragments you consume.
- Level 42 — Illidari Knowledge point 2 reduces magic damage taken by 6%.
- Level 43 — Fiery Demise point 1 causes targets afflicted by Fiery Brand to take 20% increased fire damage from you.
- Level 44 — Infernal Armor point 1 causes Immolation Aura to grant 10% armor, and cause attackers to suffer minor fire damage.
- Level 45 — Fiery Demise point 1 causes targets afflicted by Fiery Brand to take 40% increased fire damage from you.
- Level 46 — Infernal Armor point 2 causes Immolation Aura to grant 20% armor, and cause attackers to suffer minor fire damage,.
- Level 47 — Agonizing Flames point 1 increases movement speed by 10% while Immolation Aura is active, and increases the duration of Immolation Aura by 25%.
- Level 48 — Charred Warblades makes you heal for 5% of all fire damage you deal to enemies.
- Level 49 — Agonizing Flames point 2 increases movement speed by 20% while Immolation Aura is active, and increases the duration of Immolation Aura by 50%.
- Level 50 — Soul Sigils grants you 1 soul whenever a sigil affects at least one enemy.
- Level 51 — Burning Alive every 2 seconds, Fiery Brand spreads to a target near the first target. The spread dot maintains the duration left on the initial brand, and can only spread to a maximum of 5 targets.
- Level 52 — The Hunt is an ability that will charge an enemy, causing Nature damage, rooting them in place, and dealing additional nature damage over 6 seconds up to 5 targets in the path of the charge.
- Level 53 — Focused Cleave increases the damage of Soul Cleave by 30% against your primary target.
- Level 54 — Internal Struggle grants you 3% mastery.
- Level 55 — Vulnerability point 1 increases damage done to targets affected by Frailty by 2% per stack of frailty.
- Level 56 — Erratic Felheart point 1 reduces the cooldown of Infernal Strike by 10%.
- Level 57 — Vulnerability point 2 increases damage done to targets affected by Frailty by 4% per stack of frailty.
- Level 58 — Erratic Felheart point 2 reduces the cooldown of Infernal Strike by 20%.
- Level 59 — Soulcrush allows Frailty to overlap on targets, stacking all the effects of Frailty. Each stacks has an independent duration of 6 seconds. It also causes Soul Cleave and Spirit Bomb to apply a second stack of Frailty to your primary target.
- Level 60 — Collective Anguish causes Fel Devastation to summon an allied Havoc Demon Hunter dealing chaos damage to all targets in front of you.
- Level 61 — Soul Carver does heavy fire damage to your target and generates 5 Lesser Soul Fragments, use with Fiery Demise to deal even more damage.
- Level 62 — Unnatural Malice increases the damage of the DoT-portion of The Hunt by 30%.
- Level 63 — Charred Flesh point 1 causes Immolation Aura to extend Fiery Brand on all targets hit by 0.25 seconds.
- Level 64 — Will of the Illidari point 1 increases your maximum health by 3%.
- Level 65 — Charred Flesh point 2 causes Immolation Aura to extend Fiery Brand on all targets hit by 0.5 seconds.
- Level 66 — Will of the Illidari point 1 increases your maximum health by 6%.
- Level 67 — Elysian Decree deals heavy Arcane damage after 2 seconds to all targets within its radius.
- Level 68 — Aldrachi Design grants you 3% chance to parry.
- Level 69 — Down in Flames grants you a second charge of Fiery Brand and reduces the cooldown of Fiery Brand by 15 seconds.
- Level 70 — Darkness places a patch of darkness on the ground which has a 20% chance to negate any damage event against you.
Baseline abilities while leveling
As you level up you will unlock passive abilities and powers.
- Level 8 — Shattered Souls will periodically spawn a greater soul when an enemy dies that will heal you when consumed. Lesser souls are spawned from Shear and Fracture, which will heal you for 6% of the damage received in the last 5 seconds. Demon souls will increase your damage by 20% for 15 seconds.
- Level 10 — Mastery: Fel Blood increases the armor of Demon Spikes, based on a percentage of your Agility. At Level 44, Rank 2 increases your attack power as well.
- Level 10 — Shear will generate 10 Fury and spawn 1 soul.
- Level 10 — Soul Cleave is used when over 30 Fury for a frontal 5-target cleave that will consume 2 souls for healing.
- Level 10 — Infernal Strike is the Vengeance mobility skill. It allows the Demon Hunter to leap 30 yards and land on enemies for extra Fire damage. Infernal Strike is off of the global cooldown and should be weaved into the normal rotation.
- Level 10 — Thick Skin increases your Stamina by 65% and your armor by 100%.
- Level 13 — Demonic Wards reduces all damage received by 10%.
- Level 14 — Immolation Aura rank 1 unlocks at level 14.
- Level 16 — Throw Glaive is used to pull enemies to the player and to finish off any enemies fleeing. The damage is relatively low, but it has an increased threat modifier to help while tanking.
- Level 18 — Immolation Aura rank 2 unlocks at level 18, causing it to deal damage upon activation.
- Level 20 — Disrupt unlocks at level 20, allowing you to interrupt spells every 15 seconds.
- Level 20 — Metamorphosis unlocks at level 20, allowing you to transform into a powerful Demon form on a 3-minute cooldown.
- Level 27 — Immolation Aura unlocks at level 27, reducing the cooldown by 15 seconds.
- Level 28 — Demonic Wards rank 2 reduces all damage received by 15%.
- Level 38 — Fiery Brand deals a small amount of fire damage to your target over 10 seconds.
- Level 43 — Demonic Wards rank 3 reduces all damage received by 20%.
- Level 49 — Chaos Brand debuffs the target with Chaos Brand, which increases the magic damage taken by 5%.
Vengeance Demon Hunter War Mode Talents for Leveling
Questing in War Mode provides at least 10% additional experience and three new talents to choose. You will unlock one talent slot at level 20, 30, and level 40. There are several good choices depending on the content you are doing and whether or not you are playing solo.
- Everlasting Hunt is a passive ability that increases your movement speed by 15% for 3 seconds when dealing damage. This ability is designed to move from pack to pack quickly and more efficiently.
- Jagged Spikes reflects damage back to the attacker for 30% of the damage received when Demon Spikes is active. A strong tool to speed up how fast you can kill enemies while leveling.
- Illidan's Grasp crowd controls 1 target for 6 seconds. If the ability is activated again, throw the target at a location within 40 yards and stun everything in the target area for 3 seconds. This ability provides additional crowd control and is fun to use.
- Tormentor debuffs the target when taunted, applying the Focused Assault debuff, which increases the damage received by 3%. Your melee attacks refresh the duration of Focused Assault. Each unique target up to 5 that hits the target will stack Focused Assault by an additional 3%. This ability will provide a decent single-target damage buff in a party.
- Detainment increases the duration of Imprison by 2 seconds and makes the imprisoned target immune to damage and healing. This talent is amazing for arena and battlegrounds, but it should not be picked for leveling. Imprisoning a target while using this talent will put you into combat and prevents monster skipping when leveling.
- Unending Hatred increases Fury generation based on magic damage received. Larger attacks will increase Fury generation. This talent is quite situational and weak while leveling.
- Cleansed by Flame removes all magical effects when you cast Immolation Aura. This talent is situational but it can be very strong depending on the situation.
- Demonic Trample transforms you into a demon and increases your movement speed by 175%. Any enemy hit with the trample will be knocked and receive physical damage. You are immune to snares while trampling. Demonic Trample shares cooldown with Infernal Strike. This ability is decent to move around inside caves and other places where you cannot mount.
- Sigil Mastery reduces the cooldown of sigils by 25%. This talent should not be used.
- Reverse Magic removes all harmful magic effects on you and all allies within 10 yards and if possible returns them to their caster. It has a 1-minute cooldown. Can provide situational value while leveling.
- Blood Moon empowers your Consume Magic to now affect all enemies within 8 yards of the target, and grants 5% leech for 5 seconds after using it.
- Chaotic Imprint makes your Throw Glaive deal damage from a random school of magic, leaving a mark increasing their damage taken from that school by 10% for 20 seconds. A good talent to increase damage done to enemies that you gather with Throw Glaive.
- Cover of Darkness increases the radius of Darkness by 4 yards and increases its duration by 2 seconds.
- Rain from Above launches you up in the air and grants access to Fel Lance allowing you to deal damage to enemies on the ground.
- Glimpse grants you immunity to loss of control effects while under the effect of Vengeful Retreat and reduces damage taken by 75% until you land. A talent that will not add much to your leveling experience.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight.
- The True Endboss of Dragonflight Is... Trees?
- All Dragonscale Expedition Flag Locations for Easy 5,000 Reputation
- Doubleagent Has Just Reached Level 66
- Join Us on Twitch for Episode 2 of the Icy Veins Podcast
- BtWQuests Addon for Dragonflight
- How to Get the Secret Scrappy Worldsnail Mount in Dragonflight
- Darkmoon Profession Quests Now Available on Live Servers
- Alchemy Experimentation Reportedly Re-Enabled