Marksmanship Hunter PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Hunter PvP guide.
Marksmanship Hunters in the Current Meta
Marksmanship Hunters are a strong Hunter specialization right now. They are unique because, depending on your playstyle, you can AoE a team down with spells like Multi-Shot, or you can have strong single-target damage with spells like Arcane Shot and Aimed Shot. On top of all of this damage, they also have strong crowd control abilities.
Strengths of Marksmanship Hunter
- Multiple tools versus teams with DoTs
- Decent mobility
- Strong burst damage
Weaknesses of Marksmanship Hunter
- Long burst cooldown
- Weak to teams with multiple stuns
- Need help from teammates to land crowd control
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Marksmanship Hunters in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Marksmanship Hunters.
- On the Marksmanship Hunter Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Marksmanship Hunters, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 21 Jan. 2020: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 24 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained damage rotations.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Several changes made to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Gear section.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 11 Feb. 2019: Removed unnecessary Azerite Trait.
- 27 Jan. 2019: Updated Recommended Items.
- 23 Jan. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.1.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear Recommendations.
- Updated PvP talents.
- Updated Burst Damage.
- Updated Sustained Damage.
- 07 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table, and removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 30 Sep. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Added Azerite Traits section.
- Updated tier all regular talents.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Updated Burst Damage and Sustained Damage sections.
- Updated Macros section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Removed Artifact Traits section.
- Removed Relics section.
- 21 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 10 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- 13 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 24 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 23 Sep. 2017: Several changes made for Patch 7.3
- Removed Artifact Trait descriptions.
- Changed recommended tier 1, 2 and 7 regular talents.
- Changed recommended tier 7 honor talents.
- Updated sustained and burst damage rotations.
- 17 Jul. 2017: Changed recommended tier 6 honor talent.
- 26 Apr. 2017: Marksmanship Hunter PvP guide created.
- Exclusive Wrath of the Lich King Commemorative Server Blades on Sale in China
- Stranglethorn Vale Recreated in Unreal Engine 4
- Game Director Ion Hazzikostas on Blood/Void Elf Blue Eyes
- Warcraft Short Story: "A Moment in Verse"
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Until June 2nd
- Levling 1-50 Takes Under 4 Hours on Shadowlands Alpha
- Layers Added to WoW Classic Realms: May 29th
- World First Diablo 2 + LoD Speed Run in Under 1 Hour