Fire Mage Shadowlands Leveling Guide From 1 to 60
When leveling up, you should always choose the piece of loot with the highest item level. The only exception to this rule is if you have a Ring or Necklace with a slightly lower item level, but 2 secondary stats on it instead of 1.
Level by Level Rotation and Talents
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talents to Level Up as a Fire Mage
Your first talent row unlocks at Level 15.
Your talent set up should be as follows.
- Level 15: Searing Touch
- Level 25: Shimmer
- Level 30: Incanter's Flow
- Level 35: Flame On
- Level 40: Frenetic Speed
- Level 45: Conflagration
- Level 50: Meteor
Rotation to Level Up as a Fire Mage
Starting at Level 1, you only have one main attack ability: Frostbolt.
- Cast Fire Blast on cooldown.
- Cast Combustion when it is ready.
- Cast Meteor when it is ready.
- Cast Combustion 0.5 seconds after Meteor.
- Cast Fire Blast when you have Heating Up to get Hot Streak.
- Cast Phoenix Flames when you have Heating Up to get Hot Streak and you are out of Fire Blast charges, while Combustion is active.
- Cast Pyroblast when you have Hot Streak.
- Cast Scorch when the enemy target is below 30% health.
- Cast Fireball.
Summary of Unlocked Abilities for Fire Mage
You unlock your first ability of interest at Level 10.
- At Level 10, you unlock Fireball. This is your default filler ability.
- At Level 10, you unlock Mastery: Ignite. This Mastery automatically applies a damage over time effect every time you hit your target with any of your main damaging spells, burning the target for a percentage of the damage you did with the direct spell.
- At Level 11, you unlock Blazing Barrier. Blazing Barrier gives you a relatively big shield on a short cooldown. Additionally, it also reduces the physical damage you take, and does a little bit of damage to anyone hitting you.
- At Level 12, you unlock Pyroblast. Pyroblast is a very slow hard hitting spell. You will almost never cast Pyroblast normally, as you will later unlock effects that allow you to cast it instantly.
- At Level 13, you unlock Scorch. Scorch can be cast while moving, so it is useful when you are on the move a lot.
- At Level 14, you unlock Heating Up and Hot Streak. These procs are what makes Fire Mages work the way they do. Whenever you crit, you proc Heating Up, and if you then crit again, it will convert into Hot Streak, allowing you to instant cast Pyroblast and Flamestrike, while also doubling the Mastery: Ignite they apply.
- At Level 17, you unlock Flamestrike. Flamestrike is one of the few direct AoE damaging abilities. This spell, just like Pyroblast is almost never cast directly, but only when you have Hot Streak.
- At Level 18, you unlock Fire Blast rank 2. This makes it so that Fire Blast always critically strike. This is a very important milestone, as it makes it much easier to convert Heating Up into Hot Streak.
- At Level 19, you unlock Phoenix Flames. Phoenix Flames does a fair bit of damage on its own, but its main use is it spreading Mastery: Ignite to 8 nearby targets, allowing you to cleave very efficiently.
- At Level 23, you unlock Critical Mass. This passive increases your critical strike chance by 15%.
- At Level 27, you unlock Dragon's Breath. Dragon's Breath is does a bit of AoE damage, but the main usage is to disorient all enemies it hits for 4 seconds. Any damage will cancel the disorient effect.
- At Level 29, you unlock Combustion. Combustion is Fire's big damage cooldown. This makes all your spells a guaranteed critical strike, and converts 50% of your Critical Strike into Mastery. This allows you to generate a large amount of Hot Streaks in quick succession.
- At Level 32, you unlock Fire Blast rank 3. This makes Fire Blast castable during other spell casts, which makes it much easier to use.
- At Level 37, you unlock Fire Blast rank 4. This gives Fire Blast an additional stack, giving it 2 stacks.
- At Level 38, you unlock Dragon's Breath rank 2. This reduces the cooldown of Dragon's Breath by 2 seconds.
- At Level 41, you unlock Fireball rank 2. This increases Fireball's damage by 15%.
- At Level 42, you unlock Cauterize. Cauterize is a second life, returning you to 35% health when you die. After saving your life, it burns you for 28% of your health over 6 seconds. This effect can only save you once every 5 minutes.
- At Level 43, you unlock Flamestrike rank 2. This reduces the cast time of Flamestrike by 0.5 seconds. In practice, this does not really matter, since you will almost never hard-cast Flamestrike.
- At Level 46, you unlock Phoenix Flames rank 2. This gives Phoenix Flames an extra charge, giving it 3 total charges.
- At Level 47, you unlock Critical Mass rank 2. On top of Critical Mass giving you 15% extra Critical Strike chance, you also get 10% extra Critical Strike rating from all sources.
- At Level 48, you unlock Blazing Barrier rank 2. This makes Blazing Barrier do 20% more reflect damage.
- At Level 52, you unlock Flamestrike rank 3. This increases Flamestrike damage by 15%.
- At Level 54, you unlock Pyroblast rank 2. This makes Pyroblast also apply a small 6 second damage of time effect.
- At Level 56, you unlock Combustion rank 2. This increases the duration of Combustion by 2 seconds.
- At Level 58, you unlock Alter Time. This is a spell that can be used as both a defensive and a mobility spell. You can use Alter Time when you pull a new enemy, and then when you are getting low, re-activate it to heal back to full health.
Fire Mage War Mode Talents for Leveling
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content.
- Controlled Burn makes your Mastery: Ignite do all its damage twice as fast. Especially on low health enemies, this speeds up killing them significantly, as Ignite is a large portion of your damage, so doing this quicker helps. The secondary part of the effect is no longer relevant, since Ignite no longer spreads automatically anyway.
- Greater Pyroblast is a very hard hitting spell, especially on high health enemies, and it will greatly increase your damage against high health enemies.
- Pyrokinesis allows you to use Combustion more often, allowing you to kill enemies quicker.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 28 Dec. 2020: Fixed Blazing Barrier level to 11.
- 25 Nov. 2020: Fixed incorrect tooltip.
- 19 Oct. 2020: Changed Temporal Shield to Firestarter as Temporal Shield got moved to Arcane only.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Guide added.
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 5: Boss Damage Only Rankings Added
- Player Loots One of the Rarest Item in WoW
- A Different Kind of AFK Story
- WoW Patch Timeline from Vanilla to Shadowlands Patch 9.1
- Potentially Infinite Breath of Sindragosa Bug
- Elwynn Forest Without the Trees
- Covenants Per Spec in Castle Nathria and Mythic+ for Top Players
- Animated Ulna World Quest Up on US Servers!