Protection Warrior PvP Talents and Builds (Dragonflight 10.2)
Choosing the right PvP and PvE talents is a prerequisite to proper performance in PvP. This guide goes through the various talent choices available to you as an Protection Warrior and gives you the best combinations you can take.
This page is part of our Protection Warrior PvP Guide.
Talent Choices for Protection Warriors
PvP Talents for Protection Warriors
Important Choice Nodes
Wrecking Throw / Shattering Throw: This node comes down to whether or not the enemy has magical immunities, such as Divine Shield or Ice Block. If they do, pick Shattering Throw, otherwise use Wrecking Throw for shield breaking, and if the enemy team has none of both, simply skip this node and pick something else in the talent tree.
Immovable Object / Unstoppable Force: In general, you want to play aggressively, but should you find yourself in a situation where you need another defensive cooldown, then you can afford to give up Unstoppable Force to get another one through Avatar.
You can choose 3 of the following PvP talents. Each has uses, but some are better for certain strategies than others. As Protection Warrior, your choices are limited as you will be running the mandatory PvP talent almost every match.
Mandatory PvP Talents
Morale Killer is incredibly powerful and should be picked in every match. The damage reduction for your team is huge, and extra Rage generation is always welcome.
Situational PvP Talents
Thunderstruck is great for peeling a teammate, if your team composition features no roots to be affected by the Diminishing Returns.
Bodyguard gives a powerful Physical damage reduction to an ally, which gets redirected to you. Protection Warrior can handle Physical damage very easily, and this makes your partner very unlikely to die to specializations based around Physical damage, such as Subtlety Rogue or Arms Warrior. The downside of this strong talent is that it breaks if you move too far from your ally, and you must consider if you have to kite a lot or not.
Disarm has a short cooldown and can completely ruin the damage of weapon-based classes like Retribution Paladins or Subtlety Rogue. This ability can even be used offensively versus specializations that require weapons for their defensives, such as stopping an Arms Warrior from using Die by the Sword or a Death Knights from using Death Strike.
Shield Bash provides further damage reduction to the enemy and can be kept up permanently if used successfully on enemies casting spells, allowing you to significantly reduce the damage your team takes.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1.5
- 09 May 2023: Updated for Dragonflight Patch 10.1.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 29 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 08 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2