Protection Warrior PvP Guide (Shadowlands 9.1.5)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Warrior PvP guide.
Protection Warriors in the Current Meta
Protection Warrior and tanks in general are oftentimes considered niche specializations for PvP, and especially arena. This is no different in the current patch, however, Protection Warrior have on multiple occasions been capable of reaching Rank 1.
Protection Warrior plays primarily as a bodyguard, averting dangers off of a high damage dealing teammate, and trying to stall out a game long enough for the enemy team to run dry on Mana. By using powerful damage reducing abilities such as Bodyguard, Morale Killer, Shield Bash and Shockwave, Protection Warrior can single-handedly ruin the enemy team's chances of killing your team.
Changes in Patch 9.1.5
- Impending Victory has been buffed to 40% max HP and the cooldown has been reduced to 25 seconds.
- Elysian Might's Critical Strike bonus damage has been reduced to 15%.
- Fleshcraft's absorb has been reduced to 30% of max HP and will be reduced to this value should it be higher before the start of a match.
- Sinful Surge has been redesigned to instead extend the duration of Avatar by 2.5 seconds.
Changes in Patch 9.1
- Overwatch has been removed and replaced with Warbringer.
- Execute has received a 10% damage increase. This does not apply to Condemn.
- Demolition now also buffs Shattering Throw to deal an additional 500% damage to shields.
- Four new Covenant-specific Legendaries have been added, one for each Covenant.
Strengths of Protection Warriors
- Incredible peeling abilities
- Decent damage for a tank
- Almost impervious to enemy melees
- Strong utility
Weaknesses of Protection Warriors
- Struggles to keep up with consistent ranged slows
- Vulnerable to magic damage
- Lack of Bladestorm means high vulnerability to being hit with CC
- Very reliant on a strong consistent damage dealing teammate to win games
- Tanks sustain 50% more damage from all sources in PvP
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Protection Warrior PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Protection Warrior PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (dealing damage, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Protection Warrior PvP Covenants and Legendary Powers page, you will find advice on choosing the best Covenant, Soulbind, and Conduits as well as the best PvP Legendary Powers.
- On the Protection Warrior PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets.
- On the Protection Warrior PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Protection Warriors in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Protection Warrior PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Protection Warriors.
- On the Protection Warrior Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Protection Warriors, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 08 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 27 Mar. 2021: Guide created.
- The Great Mythic+ Challenge: From Zero to Hero
- 9.1.5 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Weeks 8 and 9
- Molten Core SoM Hardcore Raid: Magmadar and Garr
- A Preview of the Unranked Mail PvP Set in Patch 9.2
- What Would Bring You Back to the Game?
- Player with Honor Level 2529 in World of Warcraft
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: January 4th
- The State of Burning Crusade Classic Server Populations