Holy Paladin PvP Guide in Battle for Azeroth (BfA 8.3)
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to play in a PvP environment. The guide will cover everything from talent choices, PvP talents, gameplay and rotation, and useful racial bonuses. It is most applicable to Arena content, but most talents and racial bonuses will work in Rated Battlegrounds and skirmishes.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Paladin PvP guide.
Holy Paladins in the Current Meta
Holy Paladins are always a strong healing specialization. With strong utility for teammates and the ability to actually deal large amounts of damage, they are considered one of the best healers. A strong understanding of cooldowns and when to use them is important to be good at this specialization.
Strengths of Holy Paladins
- Large amount of healing cooldowns
- Multiple defensive abilities
- Great burst healing
Weaknesses of Holy Paladins
- Weak spread healing
- Easy to swap to if overextended
- Limited mobility when out of Blessing of Freedoms
Content of the Guide
This guide ended up being very long, so we decided to split it in different pages.
- On the Holy Paladin PvP Talents page, you will find an analysis of each PvE talent row to help you decide which talent to pick on each row, as well as an overview of the PvP talents, which advice on which ones to take and under which conditions.
- On the Holy Paladin PvP Rotation and Playstyle page, you will learn how to use your spells, depending on the situation (healing, surviving, controlling enemy players, etc.), and what is generally expected of your class and spec in PvP.
- On the Holy Paladin PvP Azerite Traits and Essences page, you will find advice on choosing the best essence powers and the best azerite traits.
- On the Holy Paladin PvP Stat Priority and Gear page, you will find the stat priority to follow in PvP, as well as advice for choosing your gear, particularly trinkets and Azerite gear.
- On the Holy Paladin PvP Best Races page, you will find lists of the Alliance and Horde races, ranked by how good they are for Holy Paladins in PvP, as well as explanations regarding why and how their racials benefit you.
- On the Holy Paladin PvP Useful Macros page, you will find a collection of useful macros for PvP for Holy Paladins.
- On the Holy Paladin Arena Composition page, you will find the list of the most powerful Arena compositions featuring Holy Paladins, in both 2v2 and 3v3 modes.
- 28 Jan. 2020: Reorganized the guide in 7 different pages.
- 16 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for patch 8.3 and no updates were necessary.
- 21 Aug. 2019: Updated Horde races.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Updated Alliance races.
- 06 Jul. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.2.
- Updated Stat Priority.
- Added Azerite Essence section.
- Added Major and Minor Essences sections.
- Updated Gear section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tier 2 regular talent.
- Updated PvP talents section.
- Updated Burst and Sustained healing rotations.
- 28 Apr. 2019: Made several changes to the guide.
- Updated Azerite Traits section.
- Updated Recommended Items section.
- Updated Talent Table.
- Updated Tiers 1 and 2 regular talents.
- Updated Sustained Healing rotation.
- 14 Mar. 2019: No major changes needed for Patch 8.1.5.
- 09 Feb. 2019: Updated Azerite Traits and Gear Recommendations sections.
- 12 Jan. 2019: Updated Guide for Patch 8.1.
- Updated Azerite Traits.
- Updated Gear Recommendations.
- Updated PvP talents.
- 09 Nov. 2018: Added Gear Recommendations section.
- 08 Oct. 2018: Added talent table.
- 02 Oct. 2018: Removed PvP Gear and War Mode sections.
- 25 Sep. 2018: Added Azerite Traits section.
- 17 Sep. 2018: Updated guide for Patch 8.0.1.
- Updated Introduction and spec overview.
- Added Stat priority.
- Updated tier 2, 3, 6, and 7 regular talent sections.
- Added PvP (War Mode) talents and gear sections for the new BfA system.
- Updated Racial Bonuses section.
- Added Basic Healing Rotation section.
- Updated Burst healing and Sustained Healing sections.
- Updated Defensive section.
- Removed Gear section.
- Removed Artifact Traits and Relics sections.
- 16 May 2018: Added an Arena Compositions section.
- 16 Apr. 2018: Made several updates to the guide and its structure.
- Added sections for Macros, Strengths, and Weaknesses.
- Moved Gear, Artifact Traits, and Relics sections to the end, since they are not that important.
- Updated recommended tier 1 regular talent.
- Updated "Sustained Damage Healing" rotation.
- 02 Feb. 2018: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.5.
- 24 Dec. 2017: No major changes needed for Patch 7.3.2.
- 30 Aug. 2017: Removed artifact trait description.
- Updated recommended tier 6 honor talents.
- Updated burst and sustained healing rotations.
- 25 Jun. 2017: There are no changes needed for Patch 7.2.5.
- 18 May 2017: Guide was added.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd