Guide to Leatherworking and Making Gold in Shadowlands
This page covers everything you need to know about leveling Leatherworking in the Shadowlands expansion from 1-100, as well as how to make gold with the profession.
Leatherworking in Shadowlands
One of the core new systems being introduced in Shadowlands is the Legendary Crafting system. Similar to the Legion Legendary system, everyone will eventually be able to craft and equip a legendary item on your character once you have the required components. There are several components required to craft a legendary item, one of which is a piece of armor or jewelry created through a crafting profession. Leatherworking is used to craft all of the leather and mail armor pieces.
It is important to note — while these crafted armor pieces are required to create a legendary item, they are not soul-bound. This means that you can buy them on the auction house or get someone else to craft them for you. However, they require lots of materials to make and may be extremely expensive in the first few weeks of Shadowlands. This also means that if you are a Leatherworker, Shadowlands launch could be an opportunity to make lots of Gold if you focus on crafting the right legendary pieces early.
Additionally, Leatherworking offers an excellent set of starter gear, better than the equivalent that you could make in BfA or Legion. As a Leatherworker, you can create a full set of 151 item level gear, which is good enough to do heroic dungeons with. This is the easiest and best option for gearing your character immediately upon reaching Level 60 since you will instantly be dungeon ready.
Lastly, with Shadowlands we are seeing the return of a long lost Leatherworking item- Armor kits. These kits will buff your Stamina by 32 for 2 hours when used on a Chest piece, making them a valuable consumable for any PvE content.
Leveling Leatherworking from 1-100 in Shadowlands
Leveling from 1-100 in Shadowlands Leatherworking is going to be expensive early on, specifically because of the rarity of Heavy Callous Hide. You will need lots of this rare leather for leveling and crafting legendaries, which means it will be in extremely high demand for the first few weeks or even months. If you are wanting to level Leatherworking early, consider pairing it with Skinning unless you have lots of Gold that you are comfortable spending.
1-100 Crafting List
- 1-10: 5x Desolate Scale Treads — 30x Desolate Leather, 10x Pallid Bone, 5x Penumbra Thread
- 10-26: 8x Desolate Scale Gauntlets — 48x Desolate Leather, 16x Pallid Bone, 8x Penumbra Thread
- 26-35: 3x Desolate Scale Vest — 27x Desolate Leather, 9x Pallid Bone, 6x Penumbra Thread
- 35-50: 5x Desolate Scale Pauldrons — 35x Desolate Leather, 10x Pallid Bone, 10x Penumbra Thread
- 50-60: 15x Crafter's Mark I — 75x Desolate Leather, 75x Curing Salt, 15x Penumbra Thread
- 60-70: 5x Shadowscale Waistguard — 100x Desolate Leather, 5x Callous Hide, 20x Pallid Bone, 5x Penumbra Thread
- 70-85: 18x Heavy Desolate Leather — 180x Desolate Leather
- 85-91: 6x Heavy Callous Hide — 60x Callous Hide
- 91-100: 3x Shadowscale Greaves — 18x Heavy Desolate Leather, 3x Heavy Callous Hide, 21x Pallid Bone, 9x Penumbra Thread
Making Gold with Leatherworking in Shadowlands
Leatherworking offers some excellent ways of making Gold, particularly in the beginning of the expansion. The best ways are outlined below.
This is by far the biggest benefit to having Leatherworking in Shadowlands. As I mentioned above, in Shadowlands you can craft legendary items. For more information on how to craft these items, check out the guide linked below.
One of the required components for forging a legendary is that you need a crafted piece of gear of the appropriate rank as a template of sorts to craft your legendary item with. These are specific items, and for Leatherworking these are the "Boneshatter" and "Umbrahide" armor pieces. Players will want specific armor pieces because legendary power can only be utilized in specific gear slots depending on the legendary, meaning not everyone will want the same pieces.
Leather Legendary Armor
- Helm — Umbrahide Helm: 50x Desolate Leather, 15x Heavy Desolate Leather, 5x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 5x Heavy Callous Hide, 12x Orboreal Shard
- Pants — Umbrahide Leggings: 50x Desolate Leather, 15x Heavy Desolate Leather, 5x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 5x Heavy Callous Hide, 12x Orboreal Shard
- Chest — Umbrahide Vest: 50x Desolate Leather, 15x Heavy Desolate Leather, 5x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 5x Heavy Callous Hide, 12x Orboreal Shard
- Shoulders — Umbrahide Pauldrons: 40x Desolate Leather, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Boots — Umbrahide Treads: 40x Desolate Leather, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Gloves — Umbrahide Gauntlets: 40x Desolate Leather, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Belt — Umbrahide Waistguard: 40x Desolate Leather, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Bracers — Umbrahide Armguards: 30x Desolate Leather, 8x Heavy Desolate Leather, 3x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 3x Heavy Callous Hide, 8x Orboreal Shard
Mail Legendary Armor
- Helm — Boneshatter Helm: 20x Pallid Bone, 15x Heavy Desolate Leather, 5x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 5x Heavy Callous Hide, 12x Orboreal Shard
- Pants — Boneshatter Greaves: 20x Pallid Bone, 15x Heavy Desolate Leather, 5x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 5x Heavy Callous Hide, 12x Orboreal Shard
- Chest — Boneshatter Vest: 20x Pallid Bone, 15x Heavy Desolate Leather, 5x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 5x Heavy Callous Hide, 12x Orboreal Shard
- Shoulders — Boneshatter Pauldrons: 15x Pallid Bone, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Boots — Boneshatter Treads: 15x Pallid Bone, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Gloves — Boneshatter Gauntlets: 15x Pallid Bone, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Belt — Boneshatter Waistguard: 15x Pallid Bone, 10x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 4x Heavy Callous Hide, 10x Orboreal Shard
- Bracers — Boneshatter Armguards: 10x Pallid Bone, 8x Heavy Desolate Leather, 3x Enchanted Heavy Callous Hide, 3x Heavy Callous Hide, 8x Orboreal Shard
The best pieces to craft early are going to be the Leather Helm and Pants ( Umbrahide Helm and Umbrahide Leggings) or the Mail Shoulders ( Boneshatter Pauldrons . These should be the most desired pieces initially since Druid, Rogues, and Hunters can all use one these slots for their BiS legendary powers. In general more people will want the pieces that offer the most stats, meaning Helms, Chests, Pants, and Shoulders. If you can craft these early on to put on the auction house, you should be able to charge a decent amount of Gold for eager players looking to quickly get a legendary item.
Legendary Item Ranks
Legendary items can be crafted in ranks. Higher ranks of legendary items require more materials to craft, but will be higher item level and thus will give more stats. You will learn the rank 1 patterns from the Leatherworking trainer, and from there you can earn higher ranks of specific armor pieces by crafting multiple copies of the previous rank until you have enough "experience" that you will automatically be given the next rank. Overall, you need to earn 225 total "experience" in a specific slot to learn how to craft the rank 4 version of that piece of gear, which is the highest rank in the first tier of Shadowlands. Each new rank requires 75 experience in the previous rank, which equates to 15 crafts per rank.
- You start with Rank 1 of a recipe from your Trainer.
- To learn Rank 2, you must craft 15x of the Rank 1 pattern.
- To learn Rank 3, you must craft 15x of the Rank 2 pattern.
- To learn Rank 4, you must craft 15x of the Rank 3 pattern.
This rank up process has to be done for every piece of gear that you want to craft higher ranks for. As you can imagine, this requires lots of materials, and if you wanted to learn the rank 4 pattern for every single slot you are talking about hundreds of thousands of materials. However, this also means that specific legendary pieces will sell for tons of Gold, especially in the first few weeks when very few people will be able to craft them.
Rank 5 and 6 Legendaries
New in Patch 9.1, Legendaries can now be upgraded all the way to Rank 6. To craft a new Rank 5 or 6 base, you need the new craftable item Vestige of Origins. When you craft a base legendary piece, adding a Vestige to it as an optional reagent will upgrade the rank by an additional 2 ranks, up to Rank 6. So, using this on a Rank 3 or 4 base when you craft one will give you a Rank 5 or 6 base instead. These will be in extremely high demand early on in the patch.
You will learn how to craft Vestige of Origins once you buy the pattern from the new Death's Advance reputation at Honored, by buying the Tome of Origins for 2000 Stygia. The Vestiges are quite expensive to make however, as they require 40 of a new legendary crafting mat only found in Korthia or purchased with Stygia from the reputation vendor.
Leatherworkers can also craft excellent starter gear for fresh level 50 and 60 characters. The level 50 gear sets are the "Desolate" sets of gear that ranges from item level 99 to 129, such as the Desolate Leather Vest and Desolate Scale Gauntlets. The level 60 gear sets are the "Shadebound" and the "Shadowscale" sets of item level 151 gear, such as the Shadebound Greaves and the Shadowscale Greaves. The level 60 gear specifically will be quite popular at the start of Shadowlands since it is a quick way for fresh characters to become geared enough for heroic dungeons. For making Gold, you could sell full sets of the level 60 gear early on to newly leveled characters, which would be in high demand.
- To craft a full set of 99-129 ilvl Desolate Leather armor (8 pieces), you would need 71x Desolate Leather, 11x Penumbra Thread
- To craft a full set of 99-129 ilvl Desolate Scale armor (8 pieces), you would need 24x Pallid Bone, 48x Desolate Leather, 11x Penumbra Thread
- To craft a full set of 151 ilvl Shadowbound armor (8 pieces), you would need 140x Desolate Leather, 7x Callous Hide, 17x Penumbra Thread, 42x Heavy Desolate Leather, and 4x Heavy Callous Hide
- To craft a full set of 151 ilvl Shadowscale armor (8 pieces), you would need 95x Desolate Leather, 170x Pallid Bone, 7x Callous Hide, 17x Penumbra Thread, 34x Heavy Desolate Leather, and 4x Heavy Callous Hide
Additionally, you can learn how to make Crafter's Mark I. Crafter's Marks are optional reagents for when you craft armor than can upgrade the armor depend on the rank of the mark and the item level of the crafted item. In Patch 9.1, there will now by an additional 2 ranks of crafter's marks bringing the total up to 4 ranks.
- Crafter's Mark I is learned from the Blacksmithing Trainer in Oribos.
- Crafter's Mark II is bought from Venari in The Maw.
- Crafter's Mark III is bought from the new Death's Advance reputation while honored or higher.
- Crafter's Mark of the Chained Isle can be purchased from Archivist Roh-Suir once you are Rank 4 in the new Korthia reputation.
As mentioned above, armor kits are a returning consumable in Shadowlands. These are consumables that players can use which will give them a stamina bonus for 2 hours per use while the enhanced chest is equipped. These stack on top of other enchant and consumable buffs, meaning they will be widely used by players in most PvE content, and thus will be in high demand.
- Desolate Armor Kit — 8x Desolate Leather, 4x Penumbra Thread
- Heavy Desolate Armor Kit — 8x Heavy Desolate Leather, 4x Penumbra Thread
- 24 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Guide added.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips