Legendary Rings Quest Line Guide (WoD 6.2)
Table of Contents
- 1. Preliminary Information
- 2. Rewards
- +3. The Quest Chain
- 4. Final Considerations
- 5. Changelog
The Legendary Rings Questline refers to a questline introduced in Warlords of Draenor, which rewards players with powerful (initially Epic, but eventually Legendary) rings. In this article, we will provide you with all the information regarding this questline, as well as present you with a straightforward guide for completing it.
The quest line revolves around Archmage Khadgar and his struggle against Gul'dan. Khadgar will be your anchor throughout the quest line, giving you various tasks and providing you with rewards.
- Eligibility. The Legendary Ring quest line is available characters that are level 98 and above, but the rewards can only be equipped at level 100.
- Class Restrictions. There are no class restrictions. All classes can progress through the quest line and obtain the rewards.
- Tasks. The quest line requires players to perform various tasks. Some of them can be performed solo, outside of instances, while others require the killing of dungeon and raid bosses.
Currently, the quest line rewards players with a choice of rings, each role (and therefore each class/specialisation combination) having a viable reward. Chapter III also rewards players with Garona Halforcen, a Legendary follower.
- Chapter I — First Part: epic rings with item level 640
- Chapter I — Second Part: epic rings with item level 680
- Chapter II: epic rings with item level 690
- Spellbound Solium Band of Fatal Strikes for Agility DPS players
- Spellbound Solium Band of Sorcerous Strength for Strength DPS players
- Spellbound Solium Band of the Kirin-Tor for casters
- Spellbound Solium Band of the Immortal Spirit for healers
- Spellbound Solium Band of Sorcerous Invincibility for tanks
- Chapter III:
- Garona Halforcen, an Assassination Rogue Legendary follower
- Epic rings with item level 715
- Spellbound Runic Band of Unrelenting Slaughter for Agility DPS players
- Spellbound Runic Band of Elemental Power for Strength DPS players
- Spellbound Runic Band of the All-Seeing Eye for casters
- Spellbound Runic Band of Infinite Preservation for healers
- Spellbound Runic Band of Elemental Invincibility for tanks
- Chapter IV: legendary rings with item level 735
At each step of the quest line where a ring upgrade is available, you will get a choice between all of the available rings of that item level.
The Quest Chain
Currently, the Legendary Ring quest line is comprised of a total of 36 quests.
The quest chain is comprised of the following quests:
- Call of the Archmage;
- Spires of the Betrayer*;
- Khadgar's Task;
- Draenor's Secret Power;
- Core of Flame*;
- Core of Iron*;
- Core of Life*;
- Tackling Teron'gor*;
- Eyes of the Archmage;
- Fugitive Dragon;
- The Dragon's Tale;
- Tarnished Bronze;
- Power Unleashed;
- Empire's Fall**;
- Legacy of the Sorcerer Kings**;
- The Scrying Game;
- Hunter: Hunted;
- Touch of the Kirin-Tor;
- Might of the Elemental Lords**;
- Reverse Piracy**;
- Heart of the Fury**;
- Flamebender's Tome**;
- Blackhand's Secret**;
- The Unbroken Circle;
- Prisoner of the Mind;
- Orb of Dominion;
- The Shadow War;
- Breaking Badness;
- To Gul'dan!;
- An Inside Job;
- My Garona;
- The Final Assault;
- We Don't Need No Library Card;
- Master vs. Commander;
- Cooking the Books;
- Light Be With You (Alliance) / Draenor's Blessing (Horde).
- * quests that require killing dungeon bosses.
- ** quests that require killing raid bosses.
Chapter I: Call of the Archmage
Obtaining the 640 Item Level Ring
The quest line begins in your Garrison, where you are offered Call of the Archmage by Khadgar's Servant. This simply requires you to travel to Zangarra in Talador and speak with Archmage Khadgar. There, he offers you the Spires of the Betrayer quest, which requires you to go into into Skyreach to kill High Sage Viryx, the final boss, and obtain a quest item called Pure Solium Band. You can do this on Normal mode. Note that Call of the Archmage is just a breadcrumb quest, and if you go straight to Archmage Khadgar in Talador, you can receive the Spires of the Betrayer quest directly.
Once you complete this quest, Khadgar will offer you Khadgar's Task, which simply requires you to wait until he finishes crafting your rewards. You will then be offered a ring appropriate for your current role, but you can always purchase the other rings from Zooti Fizzlefury (who is also located in Zangarra).
Obtaining the 680 Item Level Rings
Once you have completed Khadgar's Task, Archmage Khadgar will offer you 4 simultaneous quests. 3 of them require that you obtain an item from the Heroic version of a dungeon boss, while the other requires that you collect a number of Apexis Crystals.
- Core of Flame requires that you obtain the Core of Flame from Gug'rokk in Heroic Bloodmaul Slag Mines.
- Core of Iron requires that you obtain the Core of Iron from the engine of a train in Heroic Grimrail Depot.
- Core of Life requires that you obtain the Core of Life from Yalnu in Heroic Everbloom.
- Draenor's Secret Power requires that you gather 4,986 .
Once you complete the three Core of quests, Khadgar will offer you Tackling Teron'gor, which requires that you venture into Heroic Achindoun and defeat Teron'gor in order to obtain the Corrupted Blood of Teron'gor.
Completing both Tackling Teron'gor and Draenor's Secret Power allows you to move on to the next quest, Eyes of the Archmage quest. This quest requires that you wait while Khadgar casts a spell to try to locate Gul'dan. The quest description speaks of guarding Khadgar while this happens, but it does not appear to be the case.
The next quest in the chain is Fugitive Dragon. This requires you to travel to the Ring of Trials in Nagrand and meet Khadgar there. Here, you will be offered The Dragon's Tale. With the help of Khadgar and Chromie, you will follow the clues to discover the fate of Kairozdormu, in the Time-Lost Glade.
Once you do discover his fate, you will be offered the follow-up quest Tarnished Bronze, which requires you to defeat the Spirit of Kairozdormu. For this quest, you have the option to play as a DPS player, a healer, or a tank, and the difficulty is rather high, compared to all other previous quests. You will have to fight off a number of adds, and the finally defeat the Spirit of Kairozdormu itself, a dragon with a tail and breath attack. Fortunately, Chromie will resurrect you whenever you are killed, and you can try again and again until you succeed.
Completing Tarnished Bronze grants you the Chapter I: Call of the Archmage achievement. Immediately afterwards, Khadgar will offer you the Power Unleashed quest, which upgrades your ring to 680 item level.
Chapter II: Gul'dan Strikes Back
After completing Power Unleashed, players will receive two new quests: Empire's Fall and Legacy of the Sorcerer Kings. Empire's Fall requires you to defeat Imperator Mar'gok in Highmaul and collect his Felbreaker's Tome and Sigil of the Sorcerer King. Legacy of the Sorcerer Kings requires you to collect 125 Abrogator Stones. These items drop from a variety of sources.
- They have a chance to drop from raid bosses in Highmaul. They do not drop from every boss, but sometimes more than 1 will drop from the same boss. Players also have a chance to receive an Abrogator Stone Cluster from Highmaul bosses, which contains 5 Abrogator Stones.
- They have a (small) chance to come as rewards from work orders in your Garrison.
- Some Garrison missions will reward 3 Abrogator Stones.
On gathering the required number of Abrogator Stones and turning in Legacy of the Sorcerer Kings (and turning in Empire's Fall, but this quest will likely have been completed much earlier), you are offered The Scrying Game. This quest simply requires you to talk to Khadgar and witness his vision and confrontation with Gul'dan. After this quest is turned in, you will receive the Hunter: Hunted quest.
Hunter: Hunted requires you to track down, corner, defeat, and capture Garona Halforcen. The quest begins at the same location where you pick it up. Here is what you have to do.
- Initially, you must follow Garona, who is stealthed. You can tell where she is going because she leaves behind green poison clouds periodically, which you must follow.
- After a while, she comes out of stealth and attacks you briefly before running away. You should continue chasing her. You will be in combat and will not be able to mount at this time. If you can deal damage to her while following her, you should, but do not kill her at this time, since that will cause you to have to abandon and re-take the quest.
- Garona will stop inside a cave called Assassin's Cove. Here, she will engage you in direct combat, without running anymore. Fight her and defeat her. She has a number of abilities, but aside from moving out of the fire lines she leaves on the ground, none of them really require you to do anything special.
- After Garona is defeated, click her and choose the Use the Incarceration Rune option. This will complete the quest.
Turning the quest in will reward you with the Chapter II: Gul'dan Strikes Back achievement. You will also receive Touch of the Kirin-Tor, a simple quest that rewards you with upgrading your ring to item level 690.
Chapter III: The Foundry Falls
After turning in Touch of the Kirin-Tor, you will receive 4 quests.
Might of the Elemental Lords requires you to assemble 3 Elemental Tablets. Each tablet is created from 300 Elemental Runes. The Elemental Runes are obtained in the same way as the Abrogator Stones (drops from Blackrock Foundry bosses, rewards for some Garrison missions, and rewards from some Garrison work orders).
The other 3 quests offered at this time each require you to collect an item from a raid boss in Blackrock Foundry.
- Heart of the Fury requires you to collect the Heart of the Fury, which drops from The Blast Furnace encounter.
- Flamebender's Tome requires you to collect the Flamebender's Tome, which drops from Flamebender Ka'graz.
- Reverse Piracy requires you to collect the Draenic Thaumaturgical Orb from the room where you fight The Iron Maidens. Unlike the other two quests, you do not actually need to kill the boss to collect this time, which is located in a chest behind the bosses. This means that it is possible to join the lockout of a friend who has defeated The Iron Maidens and simply collect the quest item.
When you complete all 4 quests, you will receive the The Unbroken Circle quest, which requires you to speak to Khadgar and which will upgrade your ring to item level 715. However, even before completing Might of the Elemental Lords, you will also receive a new quest, called Blackhand's Secret.
Blackhand's Secret requires you to collect Blackhand's Severed Arm from Blackhand, in the Blackrock Foundry. Once you have finished this quest (as well as Might of the Elemental Lords, in case you ended up doing Blackhand's Secret first), you will finally receive the Chapter III: The Foundry Falls achievement and you will be able to progress through the quest chain.
The next quest you will receive is Prisoner of the Mind. This is a simple quest that requires you to follow Khadgar to where Garona is being held, and observe while he interrogates her. Turning the quest in grants you the next quest in the chain, Orb of Dominion.
This quest requires you to travel to the Den of Secrets, a cave located in Shadowmoon Valley. The cave entrance is located at 55, 15, along the shore next to Umbrafen.
Once you reach the Den of Secrets, in order to complete Prisoner of the Mind, you have to obtain the Orb of Dominion. The orb is located at the heart of the cave, guarded by a Warlock-like mob that you will have to kill. Throughout the cave, there are also many other mobs that you will have to kill along the way, although they should pose little problems.
When you first reach the Den of Secrets, you will receive a second quest, called The Shadow War, which requires you to kill 15 of the mobs inside the cave. This quest is not required to progress through the quest chain.
Return to Khadgar and turn in the Orb of Dominion quest (as well as The Shadow War, if you have done this quest), and you will receive the Breaking Badness quest.
Breaking Badness requires you to assist Khadgar as he attempts to free Garona's mind. You will once again have to accompany him to where Garona is being held, but this time, you will not sit idly by. While he is channeling his spell, a rather strong mob will spawn from Garona's location, which you will have to kill (no special tactics are required, aside from avoiding some obvious ground effects). Once this mob is dead, Garona will be free and your quest will be complete.
During this quest, you will have to infiltrate the nearby compound, collect Iron Horde Intel, and spy on Gul'dan. Garona will assist you in this task, and you will both be in stealth throughout the process (as long as you are within range of Garona). You have an extra action button with an ability called Assassinate, which commands Garona to instantly kill the targeted mob. Beware, however, that killing an enemy while another one is facing them will alert the mobs. Instead, you will have to be patient and kill mobs only when no other mob is facing them. Use this technique to clear a path through the compound.
The Iron Horde Intel is located inside a building, and once you have obtained it, you should move up to the platform where Gul'dan is located. Here, you will find a stack of crates called "Convenient Hiding Spot", which you will have to click to trigger a cinematic and complete the quest.
Turning in An Inside Job to Khadgar grants you two new quests. Khadgar offers The Final Assault, which continues the quest line. Garona, who is standing next to Khadgar, offers My Garona, which rewards you with the Garona Halforcen Legendary follower.
Chapter IV: Darkness Incarnate
Khadgar then gives you 2 quests: We Don't Need No Library Card and Command of the Seas. The former requires you to loot 33 Tomes of Chaos from Hellfire Citadel. The latter requires you to upgrade your Shipyard to Level 2. Master vs. Commander is the follow-up quest to Command of the Seas. It requires you to complete a series of Legendary Naval Missions. Please refer to the Legendary Rings section of our Shipyard guide for more detailed explanations on how to complete these missions.
Regarding the Tomes of Chaos, these have a chance to drop from bosses in Hellfire Citadel, but unlike previous items that had to be collected in this quest chain, they cannot be obtained from Garrison Missions or Work Orders.
Once you have collected all the Tomes of Chaos and turned in We Don't Need No Library Card, you will be offered the Cooking the Books quest, which requires you to deliver the previously-collected tomes to Cordana Felsong in Zangarra. In doing so it is revealed that she has actually become corrupted, and that you must defeat her.
The subsequent fight against Cordana can be challenging, but from the information we have, it appears to be quite straightforward. The main thing to look out for is that throughout the fight, she will create 5 tomes (stationary, harmless NPCs) that grant her immunity while they are alive and which you must destroy in order to be able to continue damaging her. Before dying, Cordana will flee, and this will count your quest as complete. We cannot yet provide you with a precise strategy, but we will update the guide further.
With Cordana defeated, Khadgar will give you rather simple turn-in quest that will reward you with the legendary version of the ring. Alliance players will receive Light Be With You, requiring them to travel to Yrel at the Temple of Karabor in Shadowmoon Valley, while Horde players will receive Draenor's Blessing, requiring them to travel to the Throne of the Elements in Nagrand to speak with Drek'thar.
Obtaining your item level 735 legendary ring grants you the Chapter IV: Darkness Incarnate achievement, but the quest chain is not exactly finished at this point.
From here on, each week you can loot an item called Crystallized Fel from Archimonde in Hellfire Citadel. This allows you to upgrade your legendary ring by 3 item levels, up to a maximum of item level 795 (which will require 20 Crystallized Fel).
You can get a maximum of 1 Crystallized Fel per lockout, regardless of the difficulty on which you kill Archimonde, but Crystallized does not drop in LFR. Moreover, it appears that you cannot loot Crystallized Fel during the same lockout in which you first obtain your item level 735 legendary ring.
This concludes the Legendary Rings quest line guide. We would love to receive your feedback on our forums, or through e-mail.
- 15 Dec. 2015: Added Draenor's Blessing quest name to the guide (previously, we had stated that we did not know the name of the quest taking Horde players to Nagrand).
- 19 Jul. 2015: Updated the guide for the final stage of the chain, including exactly how to obtain your item level 735 ring and how to upgrade it to item level 795.
- 12 Jul. 2015: Added a mention about Tome of Chaos collection.
- 23 Jun. 2015: Added what we know about the 6.2 quest line.
- 12 Jun. 2015: Updated the guide to add the remaining available part of the quest chain, and to fix some errors (most notably, an error claiming that the Legendary follower could be obtained much earlier than is really the case).
- 12 Mar. 2015: Made a correction to the number of Elemental Runes needed to create an Elemental Tablet (300 up from 100).
- 23 Feb. 2015: Made small updates to account for Patch 6.1 changes.
- 10 Feb. 2015: Updated the guide for Chapter II (most notably including the Blackrock Foundry-related quests).
- 16 Dec. 2014: Updated the guide to reflect the fact that you need to complete Draenor's Secret Power before Khadgar offers you Eyes of the Archmage.
- 03 Dec. 2014: Updated the guide further to include information about the Legacy of the Sorcerer Kings quest.
- 28 Nov. 2014: Updated the guide to reflect that you get the Draenor's Secret Power quest at the same time as the 3 Core quests (and not after completing them, as previously stated).
- 17 Nov. 2014: Added a mention that the quest line can be started at level 98 (but that the rewards require level 100), and that the first quest in the line is a breadcrumb quest that can be bypassed.
- 1. Preliminary Information
- 2. Rewards
- +3. The Quest Chain
- 4. Final Considerations
- 5. Changelog
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Castle Nathria DPS Rankings
- give me a Training Dummy I can chase around
- Covenant Dungeon Buffs
- Shadowlands Overview
- Soulbind Conduits
- Castle Nathria Tank Rankings
- Short List Of Features And Changes I Feel Would Improve The Game
- Death Knight Changes