Professor Putricide guide for Knights of the Frozen Throne
Table of Contents
Professor Putricide is the second boss in the Upper Reaches, the second wing of the Icecrown Citadel adventure from the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion.
Health, Hero Power, Cards, Etc.
|Health||30 (+15 Armor)|
Strategy and Deck Building
Professor Putricide is a complicated boss fight split into 3 different phases. During each phase the boss gains a different passive Hero Power that applies to both players and greatly benefits using certain types of cards. In the first phase, all Secrets cost 0 Mana. In the second phase, all weapons cost 1 Mana, and in the third phase, all cards cast 5 Mana. During the beginning of phases 1 and 2 the boss gains 15 Armor and the phase immediately ends when that Armor is removed. In addition to gaining a new Hero Power, the boss also gets a free minion immediately summoned onto the board upon entering a new phase: Festergut is summoned at the start of phase 2 and Rotface is summoned at the start of phase 3.
The strategy for this boss involves trying to use the Hero Power of the boss to your advantage while also countering your opponent from using it. For phase 1, it is good to have your own Secrets available to play while also using tech cards like Eater of Secrets and Flare to slow down the boss. In phase 2, expensive weapons are excellent at taking full advantage of the Mana reduction, while Acidic Swamp Ooze and Gluttonous Ooze will greatly hinder the boss and are especially useful against the very powerful Tentacles weapon. Phase 3 is not too important, as the Hero Power will be a detriment to the cheap cards of the boss as well as your own, however you can tech in a couple of powerful minions such as Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound for this phase if you wish.
As long as you take advantage of the Hero Power of the boss, the fight itself is not too challenging and the only thing that can really cause problems are the minions that spawn at the start of each new phase. To account for this, you should take your time when transitioning phases and make sure you are able to immediately handle the minion that spawns. Upon entering phase 2, it is very important to have either 5 damage or a hard removal spell for Festergut, as the end of turn AoE effect can easily wipe your board if it survives. For phase 3, you should try to have a hard removal spell available for Rotface so that it does not spawn any Legendary minions; failing that you should aim to do all 6 damage in one go to minimise the number of minions spawned.
We currently recommend the following Cheap Hunter deck for Professor Putricide.
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Shaman Card Reveal Recap: November 20th
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- Hearthstone March of the Lich King Warrior Card Reveal Recap: November 19th
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- Runestones - an accounting error?
- Dalaran Heist Mage Guide
- Dalaran Heist Priest Guide
- Battlegrounds Patches the Pirate
- Battlegrounds Vanndar Stormpike