Demonology Warlock DPS Stat Priority — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Demonology Warlock. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Warlock stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Demonology Warlock
The stat priority for a Demonology Warlock is as follows.
- Mastery ≅ Critical Strike;
When playing with Explosive Potential:
- Critical Strike ≥ Versatility;
This stat priority was determined using a SimulationCraft profile in standard BiS gear with normalized stats. It was meant to simulate a very "average" set of player gear, but you should refer to this information with care. It is highly recommended you sim yourself to determine which stats your character gets maximum benefit out of, as this is subject to change depending on your ratios.
The general rule is that you want a good balance between Haste and Mastery for single target, but as you add more targets in the scenario, Mastery gradually becomes our best stat, even above Intellect.
Most players will notice their stat priority shifts as they acquire higher item levels, due to the variance in scaling.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Corruption Effects and Stats
With Patch 8.3, Corruption effects have been introduced as replacement for the Titanforged system, and this new system has bigger repercussions in the gearing process and how stats affect each character.
Starting with the more straightforward effects, those that increase by a flat % the rating of a given secondary, there are two implications:
- The more you have of a stat, the bigger the benefit will be from these Corruption effects;
- Inversely, if you drop a corruption effect that increases a secondary you do not stack, its benefits will be minimal.
So as a general rule, flat % values are directly proportional to how much of that stat your gear already has, and how good is that stat for a specific spec.
Secondary stat proc effects do not generally have a big impact on gearing, beside the fact that the least amount of a secondary you have, the more desirable the proc becomes, after factoring DPS per point of a given spec.
Spell proc Corruption effects instead play a major role in how secondary stat values can change. Specifically, as those effects such as Infinite Star have a hasted RPPM, and scale directly with Versatility and Critical Strike ratings, the result is an increased value of Haste/Critical Strike/Versatility, compared to Mastery.
Statistics Explanations for Demonology Warlock
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Haste influences the cast speed of all your spells, as well as the number of attacks your demons (outside Wild Imps) can output before despawning. Haste is a desirable stat, as it generates additional resources via Demonic Core and allows for increased Soul Shard generation.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.
- 21 Jan. 2020: Added Corruption implications on secondary scaling.
- 14 Jan. 2020: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 29 Jul. 2019: Updated for The Eternal Palace.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 08 Feb. 2019: Updated page to reflect influence of Explosive Potential trait.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 06 Nov. 2018: Updated stats priority and explanation.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 23 Jul. 2018: New sims completed; added a 4-target stat priority for M+ players.
- Windwalker Monk Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Demon Hunter Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Torghast Beta Update: July 15th
- All Gladiator Mounts Will Be Account-Wide in Shadowlands
- Choose Your Covenant in Shadowlands
- Mythic+ Dungeons on the Shadowlands Beta
- Shadowlands Beta Development Notes: July 15th
- Shadowlands Beta Now Live & No Keys Reminder