Demonology Warlock DPS Stat Priority — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Demonology Warlock. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
If you were looking for WotLK Classic content, please refer to our WotLK Classic Demonology Warlock stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Demonology Warlock
The stat priority for a Demonology Warlock is as follows:
- Haste to about 27%;
- Critical Strike ≅ Versatility;
This stat priority was determined using a SimulationCraft profile in standard BiS gear with normalized stats. It was meant to simulate a very "average" set of player gear, but you should refer to this information with care. It is highly recommended you sim yourself to determine which stats your character gets maximum benefit out of, as this is subject to change depending on your ratios.
In general, Haste is the most desirable secondary stat. In single-target situations, Critical Strike and (to a lesser degree) Versatility both gain value due to the damage distribution shifting more towards player damage, thus not affected by Mastery. Mastery being related to generally pets/guardian damage is still valuable but becomes gradually more appealing the more targets enter the fray, as the damage profile shifts towards the AoE generated by pets and Implosion.
Most players will notice their stat priority shifts as they acquire higher item levels due to the variance in scaling.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Diminishing Return on Secondary Stats
At the Shadowlands release, a diminishing return system was put in place with different tiers that will incur an increased penalty in the overall stat amount. With access to a higher total amount of secondary stats in this tier, players can now feel the effect, and it could alter some gearing choices.
- From 0 to 30%, there is no penalty.
- From 30% to 39%, there is a 10% penalty.
- From 39% to 47%, there is a 20% penalty.
- From 47% to 54%, there is a 30% penalty.
- From 54% to 66%, there is a 40% penalty.
- From 66% to 126%, there is a 50% penalty.
- You can not get more than 126% from gear rating.
In practical terms, it should not have much of an impact when using SimulationCraft/Raidbots as the tools are already accounting for it.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
Your stat priority has a direct impact on your gem, enchant, and consumable choices, and you can find recommendations for all 3 on our dedicated page below.
Statistics Explanations for Demonology Warlock
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Haste influences the cast speed of all your spells, as well as the number of attacks your demons (outside Wild Imps) can output before despawning. Haste is a desirable stat, as it generates additional resources via Demonic Core and allows for increased Soul Shard generation.
Mastery, through Mastery: Master Demonologist, increases the damage dealt by your demons. It has higher importance in multitarget compared to single target.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.
Current Tier trend
As the last tier of an expansion, players have access to gear with item level high enough to hit the first tier of Diminishing Return on multiple secondary stats. This situation is further amplified by the current itemisation, which has a prominence of spell damage effect which scale almost exclusively with Critical Hit Chance and especially Versatility, once used to be the least relevant stat but now is becoming more and more important, surpassing Mastery in value as the player approaches Best in Slot.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Updated for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 15 Dec. 2022: Clarified the priority list reasoning.
- 14 Dec. 2022: Split the stats priority between single and multitarget.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)