Elemental Shaman PvP Talents and Builds (Dragonflight 10.2)
Choosing the right PvP and PvE talents is a prerequisite to proper performance in PvP. This guide goes through the various talent choices available to you as a Elemental Shaman and gives you the best combinations you can take.
This page is part of our Elemental Shaman PvP Guide.
Talent Choices for Elemental Shamans
While the above table provides a generally accurate overview of the viability of talents, some finer points are discussed in the sections that follow, and we recommend you read those for a deeper understanding.
Shaman Tree Talent Highlights
- Lightning Lasso is available without using a PvP Talent.
- Totemic Projection is critical for he use with Static Field Totem and repositioning enemies, mainly melee teams.
- Spirit Walk gives mobility to reposition or get away.
- Ancestral Guidance is a group healing cooldown to counter incoming damage.
- Planes Traveler gives a reduced cooldown for Astral Shift.
- Increased passive healing through Healing Stream Totem and Swirling Currents.
Elemental Shaman Tree Talent Highlights
- Decreased cooldown of Flame Shock with Flames of the Cauldron.
- Damage increase through Improved Flametongue Weapon to our main fire spells.
- Deeply Rooted Elements procs Lava Bursts on all targets with Flame Shock.
- Rolling Magma reduces cooldown on Primordial Wave.
- Splintered Elements gives a Haste buff, increasing the proc rate of Lava Burst and rate of Flame Shock damage.
- Surge of Power allows the Elemental Shaman to root enemies in PvP, and reduce Fire Elemental cooldown quickly.
- Searing Flames and Inundate give easy passive ways to generate Maelstrom
- Primordial Bond gives damage reduction, which, along with the benefit of the Earth Elemental's passive and pet abilities through Primal Elementalist can provide a lot of defensive value.
- Flux Melting increases the Lava Burst damage, when talented.
PvP Talents for Elemental Shaman
You can choose 3 of the following PvP talents; each has uses, but some are better for certain strategies than others. The top three choices are the most useful but can be replaced with other PvP talents, depending on your team's goal.
- Grounding Totem is a default selection against caster or Hunter teams. This can stop crowd-control from the enemy team and large damaging spell casts from casters.
- Burrow is an immunity defensive which can also deal moderate damage.
- Static Field Totem is a default pick, mainly due to the ability to relocate this totem and move the enemy team away from you or your teammates. Note it only has around 5K HP but can be an important factor when going for burst or saving your teammates.
- Unleash Shield provides significant utility for the Elemental Shaman to benefit from pushing enemy teammates off ledges and rooting. When using Elemental Orbit both knockback and root effects are applied.
- Skyfury Totem is a default pick against caster teams. This talent increases the critical damage by 20% of only spell casts or heals. Although this is highly dependent on how often your spells critically hit, if a critical strike happens, the damage is significantly greater due to the multipliers of Master of the Elements, and the combination of Surge of Power and Stormkeeper. This also affects Lightning Lasso now.
- Seasoned Winds provides 15% damage reduction against possibly multiple schools of magic when interrupting the enemy. This effect can stack up to 3 times. This promotes the use of Wind Shear, which is critical to the utility of the Elemental Shaman. This is a solid choice against any teams with casters. When interrupting some casters like a Chaos Bolt the Shaman will gain a 15% damage reduction for all schools of magic, which is a significant defense to maintain throughout the match.
- Traveling Storms is not taken in any circumstance in arena, as there are better selections to increase pressure on the other team. This can be taken in Eye of the Storm battleground if you will be sitting in the middle defending the flag and want to knock off opponents.
- Counterstrike Totem is a situational talent. This can be useful as a small peel for your teammates or as a surprise against enemies in arena. In battlegrounds, this can be used as a considerable damage option but will not lead to kills. Generally, teams are aware of this Shaman's ability to use this totem. They will stop attacking once it is on the ground.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.1.7.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updatedfor Dragonflight 10.1.5.
- 06 May 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.1.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Dragonflight 10.0.7.
- 04 Feb. 2023: Updated for 10.0.2 updates.
- 12 Jan. 2023: Updated for mid-season changes.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight post-launch.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 27 Feb. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2 of Shadowlands
- 17 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5 of Shadowlands.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated in preparation for first PvP season of Shadowlands.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)