Arcane Mage PvP Best Arena Compositions (Shadowlands / 9.1)
Team composition in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena is very important, because not all classes work well together. Here, we give you the best compositions you can have for your Arcane Mage (i.e., the best classes to pair with it).
This page is part of our Arcane Mage PvP Guide.
In 2v2 Arena, you do not have many options. It can be quite difficult to kill a healer in 2v2 by yourself, so you will likely be focusing an enemy DPS. Before you use your burst rotation, make sure the enemy healer is in crowd control. Ideally, you will be playing with a healer that can stun. After the stun, cast Polymorph on the healer and use your burst rotation on the DPS. Unfortunately, If you get interrupted while casting Polymorph, there is nothing you can do because Arcane Mages only have one school of spells. You could also take Ring of Frost as an alternative to Polymorph. Take advantage of your mobility with Shimmer to cast spells. It is important to note that Mages have Spellsteal and can use it to steal HoTs to heal themselves. This is a great spell versus Restoration Druids and Discipline Priests that have multiple spells that you can steal. You are also able to steal spells such as Power Infusion or other Mages' Combustion or Icy Veins.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 2v2:
- Arcane Mage + Subtlety Rogue
- Arcane Mage + Discipline Priest
- Arcane Mage + Holy Paladin
- Arcane Mage + Restoration Druid
Your role in 3v3 is quite similar to 2v2 Arena. As an Arcane Mage, you will be focusing on controlling the enemy team with slows and Polymorph and Spellstealing away their HoTs or beneficial buffs. Before your team uses burst cooldowns, make sure there is crowd control on the enemy healer. If you are playing with a Rogue, remember that Polymorph shares a diminishing return with Sap and your Polymorph will be half duration in the opener. Again, take advantage of Shimmer and your high movement so you can easily get crowd control on the enemy healer or to deal damage without being interrupted. It is important to note that you are not limited to using Polymorph on the enemy healer. If an enemy DPS is using their burst cooldowns, you can slow/root and Polymorph them. This will help your healer significantly. The consistent damage of an Arcane Mage that is running often and not casting is quite low, but there will be windows of pressure you can apply once crowd control is applied to healers.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 3v3:
- RMP(Arcane Mage + Subtlety Rogue + Discipline Priest)
- Arcane Mage + Windwalker Monk + Holy Paladin/Restoration Druid
- Arcane Mage + Affliction Warlock + Holy Paladin
- Arcane Mage + Shadow Priest + Holy Paladin
- FMP (Arcane Mage + Feral Druid + Discipline Priest)
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 12 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands release.
- 17 Oct. 2020: This page was checked for patch 9.0.1 and no updates were necessary.
- 20 Jan. 2020: This page was checked for Patch 8.3 and no update was deemed necessary.
- 26 Dec. 2019: Page added.
- New 9.1.5 Highmountain Tauren Customizations
- Tempest Keep Classic Cleared World First by Salad Bakers in a Little Over an Hour
- Serpentshrine Cavern Classic Cleared in Under an Hour World First by Progress
- Patch 9.1 and BCC Hotfixes: September 15th
- Burning Crusade Classic: Overlords of Outland Is Now Live!
- New Fel Guardian Druid Mage Tower Appearance in Patch 9.1.5
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 2 "Not a Bug" List
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196 Affix Changes