Arcane Mage PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands 9.2.5)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Arcane Mage in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats that will make PvP a little easier for Arcane Mages.
This page is part of our Arcane Mage PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Arcane Mages in PvP
The stat priority for Arcane Mage in PvP is as follows:
- Critical Strike.
Intellect is the best stat in all situations. Haste is the best secondary state. This stat will reduce your global cooldown and the cast times of important spells like Polymorph. Versatility is the second best stat you can. This will reduce the damage you take while also increasing the damage you deal.
In general, Arcane Mages want to get trinkets that line up well with Arcane Power or Touch of the Magi. These trinkets can have a passive or on-use effect. The stat you want to be increasing is Intellect. The reason you want to increase Intellect is because it drastically increases your overall damage output. For more information about Arcane Power and your rotation in PvP, please refer to our dedicated page. In addition, with the new Patch 9.1 changes to PvP gear, it will be extremely important to obtain as much of your gear as possible in PvP. With the new scaling, it will be the most powerful.
Below, you will find our current BiS list.
- Head: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Guise
- Neck: Eternal Gladiator's Necklace
- Shoulders: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Mantle or Arcane Harmony
- Cloak: Eternal Gladiator's Drape
- Chest: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Robe
- Wrists: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Armbands
- Hands: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Gloves
- Waist: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Cord
- Legs: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Leggings
- Feet: Eternal Gladiator's Silk Treads or Arcane Bombardment.
- Ring 1: Cosmic Gladiator's Ring
- Ring 2: Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet or Disciplinary Command.
- Weapon: Eternal Gladiator's Vesper
Tier Sets for Arcane Mage
Ideally, you should be to be fully equipped in Conquest gear. At the time of updating this guide, the Tier Set pieces do not have great stat weights on them, and the set bonus is mediocre in PvP combat. The Arcane Mage 2-Piece bonus makes enemies take 10% increased damage from Touch of the Magi, and the Arcane Mage 4-Piece bonus increases the duration of Touch of the Magi and gives 25% Mana regeneration for 12 seconds. The tier set bonuses are strong, but not worth sacrificing significant amounts of Haste and Versatility for them. If you wish to use them, attempt to use the pieces that have Haste and Versatility first, and then Haste or Versatility secondly. Try to avoid pieces with Critical Strike and Mastery.
How to Acquire Tier Sets
There are many ways to get the tier set pieces, but the ones you will want to get are the ones through PvP activities, as they come with the +13 item level increase in PvP combat. In order to acquire these tier sets, you need to get them in the Great Vault or eventually create them from the Creation Catalyst.
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a Intellect and Stamina boost that will increase your overall damage and increase your health pool.
Eternal Gladiator's Medallion is typically 1 of 2 trinkets to have equipped at all times. This allows you to remove any crowd control on yourself. You will normally use this when you are stuck in crowd control and in danger of dying. Note, if you play a Human, Cosmic Gladiator's Relentless Brooch is a better option.
Eternal Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Critical Strike and has a 1-minute cooldown that increases your primary stat. This is great to use right before you activate a powerful cooldown like Combustion.
Eternal Gladiator's Emblem increases your maximum health when used. This gives you an additional defensive when you think a team will be attacking you often.
Eternal Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity increases your Haste and has a chance to proc your primary stat. This is an overall strong trinket, as the stat will proc often throughout an arena match.
Eternal Gladiator's Devouring Malediction is Patch 9.2's new version of Unchained Gladiator's Shackles, however, the new malediction requires you to drain absorption to unleash it in a cone in front of you. This will be good into classes such as Warlock with Dark Pact. However currently, it is quite weak and typically not used.
Eternal Gladiator's Eternal Aegis is another defensive trinket, and provides strong defense against magic damage. Consider this trinket against heavy magic damage-dealing compositions
Eternal Gladiator's Resonator is a pure damage trinket that acts similar to a grenade. It does a significant amount of damage, especially when used in combination with CC like stuns. This Trinket is very strong when playing heavy setup compositions like RMP.
Eternal Gladiator's Echoing Resolve is another new trinket, that works in the opposite way of Eternal Gladiator's Relentless Brooch. Instead of decreasing time within CC, it increases it, however once affected, the player is protected from one CC effect for 12 seconds. This trinket is not viable currently with the nerfs to it in the previous patches.
Eternal Gladiator's Fastidious Resolve is the final new trinket in 9.2. With a 3-minute cooldown, players are able to activate this trinket to become immune to 2 CC effects for 15 seconds. This trinket is strong to ensure you secure CC and damage rotation, however this trinket is also very unviable due to the long cooldown and not being able to use a Eternal Gladiator's Medallion.
Gems and Enchants
Here are the best enchants for an Arcane Mage:
- Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Eternal Intellect
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Insight
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Haste
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 17 Oct. 2020: Removed Corruption sections.
- 03 Jul. 2020: Updated Corruptions.
- Added Recommended Corruptions section.
- 19 May 2020: Updated Corruptions section.
- 08 Apr. 2020: Updated Recommended Items.
- 11 Feb. 2020: Added Corruption Gear section. Updated Recommended Gear and best enchant sections.
- 20 Jan. 2020: Updated PvP gear to be Season 4 Corrupted gear.
- 26 Dec. 2019: Page added.
- New Stay Awhile and Listen Dialogue Between Baine Bloodhoof and Mayla Highmountain in Dragonflight
- A Preview of Vicious Mounts in Dragonflight Season 1
- Patch 9.2.7 and Wrath Classic Hotfixes: September 29th
- Battle for Undercity Quest Fix
- Dragonflight Group Loot and BoE Clarifications
- Embodiment of the Storm-Eater Preview in Dragonflight
- New Map Model in Dragonflight
- The Winds of Wisdom XP Buff Returns on October 4