Arcane Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.0.2
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.0.2.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Arcane Mage
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Arcane Mage, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
Gearing in Shadowlands as an Arcane Mage
When Season 1 of Shadowlands begins, most of your gear will come from either Raiding, Mythic+, PvP, or the weekly chest. However, none of these options are available the first couple of weeks of Shadowlands. Below we go over some of the best ways to get geared early on in Shadowlands.
- Covenant Callings: These are daily quests that can give you up to 200 item level gear and Conduits.
- The Maw: Rares and Events in The Maw can drop up to 184 item level gear.
- Battlegrounds: You can exchange Honor Points for up to item level 184 gear.
- Mythic dungeons: Although Mythic+ is not open yet, standard Mythic dungeons are open. These drop 184 item level loot and can be looted once per week.
- Reputation: Getting honored allows you to buy 181 item level gear and getting exalted gives 200 item level gear. All new reputations contain useful items for Mages, so you should try to get all of them up.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Arcane Mage
At this stage in the game, and despite the stat priority, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Conduits, Legendaries, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn , select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Legendaries for Arcane Mage
Which one you craft first depends on the type of damage you find more important, and your Time Warp usages in raids and dungeons. In general, Temporal Warp should be crafted first for single-target and Arcane Bombardment for cleave and AoE.
After crafting and upgrading Temporal Warp and Arcane Bombardment, we suggest crafting for more utility or niche Legendaries, like the ones below:
- Grisly Icicle (Head) - Amazing for soloing Torghast and solo content in general.
- Triune Ward (Neck) - Great defensive option when DPS is not relevant or as important.
If you are looking for in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Arcane Mage
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Arcane Mage
- Arcane Prodigy (when Night Fae)
- Magi's Brand
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only)
- Arcane Prodigy (when not Night Fae)
- Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only)
- Nether Precision
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Arcane Mage
- Artifice of the Archmage
- Magi's Brand
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only)
- Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
For more info regarding what Conduits to pick for what situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Trinket Notes for Arcane Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets via Mythic+, raiding, and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should always try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Arcane relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Touch of the Magi, Rune of Power and Arcane Power.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch. Updated BiS list for season 1 of Shadowlands, added legendaries, conduits and early Shadowlands gearing sections. Removed mentions of BfA mechanics like azerite and essences.
- 21 Oct. 2020: Updated Best in Slot for newly found strong items.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Cool Way to Enter the Venthyr Covenant Sanctum in Sinfall
- Want to Know How Many Times You've Tried to Mount in the Maw but Couldn't?
- Torghast Boss One-shots, Cheesing, Crazy DPS and More
- Fast Plaguefall Hunter Legendary Farm Method
- Most Popular Classes and Specializations in Shadowlands on Icy Veins
- New In-Game Player Memorials in Silvermoon City?
- Sinrunner Blanchy's Alive Form Discovered
- Varok Saurfang's Mak'gora Cinematic Upscaled to 4K