Arcane Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage gear and best in slot.
Azerite Gear for Arcane Mage
Some of the key Azerite Traits to look for on your gear are Heart of Darkness or Equipoise for single-target and Heart of Darkness, Arcane Pressure or Explosive Echo for AoE. Azerite gear can drop from loads of content, like World Quests, Dungeons, Warfronts, PvP, reputations, etc., so you should try to do all possible content. Below, we have listed some good items to look for, based on how to obtain them and the Azerite Traits they have on them.
- Head: Visage of Nightmarish Machinations — N'Zoth the Corruptor, Ny'alotha
- Shoulders: Spaulders of Miasmic Mycelia — Carapace of N'Zoth, Ny'alotha
- Chest: Robes of Unreality — The Prophet Skitra, Ny'alotha
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Corruptions and Corrupted Items
For more information about the best Corruptions and Corrupted items you can get, please refer to our dedicated page.
Trinket Notes for Arcane Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets and Titanforged / Corrupted rewards from Dungeons, World Quests, etc, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should always try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Arcane relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Rune of Power and Arcane Power.
The standard combination of the two trinkets you will end up using, assuming normal item level drops, will be Manifesto of Madness and Psyche Shredder. A note on Manifesto of Madness: This is a very good on-use trinket to use for Arcane, but you have to make sure you get most, if not all, of the Critical Strike bonus when using it. If you have a lot of allies around you when you activate the trinket, this trinket will not be worth using. So do not use this trinket if you are forced to be near other people during your cooldowns.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Adding Sockets to your Gear
Patch 8.3 added the Gouged Eye of N'Zoth as a reward from Corrupted Mementos. The best way to use this item, is to use it on an item with a good Corrupted effect on it, and is from the highest content that you do, to ensure it is on an item you will never replace. E.g., if you are a heroic raider, a good candidate would be Shgla'yos, Astral Malignity from Heroic Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha, with a Tier 3 Infinite Stars Corrupted effect.
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls!
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. Additionally, a mediocre item with a good corruption effect will often beat a slightly better item with a worse corruption effect. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
|Helm||Visage of Nightmarish Machinations||N'Zoth the Corruptor in Ny'alotha|
|Shoulder||Spaulders of Miasmic Mycelia||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha|
|Cloak||Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve||Legendary Cloak quest line|
|Chest||Robes of Unreality||The Prophet Skitra in Ny'alotha|
|Wrists||Void-Drenched Wristwraps||The Hivemind in Ny'alotha|
|Gloves||Emberscale Gloves||Wrathion, the Black Emperor in Ny'alotha|
|Belt||Mana-Infused Sash||Maut in Ny'alotha|
|Legs||Corporeal Supplicant's Trousers||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha|
|Boots||Psychic's Subtle Slippers||The Prophet Skitra in Ny'alotha|
|Ring #1||Logic Loop of Division||Mechagon Mythic+ chest, Mechagon Junkyard.|
|Ring #2||Overclocking Bit Band||Mechagon Mythic+ chest, Mechagon Workshop.|
|Main-hand||Shgla'yos, Astral Malignity||Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha|
|Off-hand||Zealous Ritualist's Reverie||Dark Inquisitor Xanesh in Ny'alotha|
|Trinket 1||Manifesto of Madness||The Prophet Skitra in Ny'alotha|
|Trinket 2||Psyche Shredder||The Prophet Skitra in Ny'alotha|
- 04 Apr. 2020: Moved Corruption to a separate page.
- 16 Jan. 2020: Updated incorrect boss for a BiS item.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Updated all sections of the page for gear added or changed in 8.3.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Updated and clarified Azerite gear section.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Added Mechagon items.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Changed benthic belt to a belt which works on every boss.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite suggestions and added gear from The Eternal Palace.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Added Benthic gear info.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 17 Mar. 2019: Updated the Azerite BiS pieces.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 19 Aug. 2018: Updated for hotfixed traits.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Updated trinket list for latest hotfixes and findings.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Updated legendaries and Best in Slot for nerfed Archmage.
- Fan-Requested Pairing Made Reality in Shadows Rising
- Even Faster BWL Speed Clear: New Rank 1 with Over 20 Seconds Shaved Off
- 100% of All Plate Acomplished: DesMephisto's Quest Is Complete!
- All Legendary Powers Added So Far on Shadowlands Alpha
- Reputation Gains Increased By 60% This Week
- A Massive Pre-expansion Event? Beta? What Can We Expect from the Shadowlands Reveal Event?
- Cataclysm Timewalking (July 7th - July 14th)
- Death Knights & Demon Hunters Start At Level 8/10 in Shadowlands