Arcane Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.0.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.0.5.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Arcane Mage
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Arcane Mage, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Arcane Mage
At this stage in the game, and despite the stat priority, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Conduits, Legendaries, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots' Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Legendaries for Arcane Mage
Which one you craft first depends on the type of damage you find more important, and your Time Warp usages in raids and dungeons. In general, Temporal Warp should be crafted first for single-target and Arcane Bombardment for cleave and AoE.
- Grisly Icicle (Head) - Amazing for soloing Torghast and solo content in general.
- Triune Ward (Neck) - Great defensive option when DPS is not relevant or as important.
If you are looking for in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Arcane Mage
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Arcane Mage
- Arcane Prodigy (when Night Fae)
- Magi's Brand
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only)
- Arcane Prodigy (when not Night Fae)
- Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only)
- Nether Precision
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Arcane Mage
- Artifice of the Archmage
- Magi's Brand
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only)
- Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
For more info regarding what Conduits to pick for what situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Upgrading Gear with Valor Points
There are a couple of items we strongly suggest to prioritize when it comes to upgrading your Mythic+ gear via Valor points. Below we have listed them in order of importance. However, the below items are general suggestions. Depending on your available gear, the list below might not be accurate. For example, if you already have really good trinkets, upgrading Mythic+ trinkets with Valor points is probably not going to be the best choice. The easiest way to figure out what is best for your specific character, is by using Raidbots' Droptimizer. You can select "+10 Weekly Chest" as a stand-in for the highest item level Valor upgrade.
- Empyreal Ordnance: This is the strongest trinket for Arcane Mages. We strongly suggest upgrading this first.
- Inscrutable Quantum Device: Another very good on-use trinket (within 1% of Empyreal Ordnance), that is easier to use than Empyreal Ordnance.
- >Any weapon if you have a weapon below 220 item level: Although the BiS weapon comes from raid content, a weapon is generally going to be the biggest short-term upgrade. Use the droptimizer link above to find which weapon works best for your character.
Trinket Notes for Arcane Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets via Mythic+, raiding, and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should always try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Arcane relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Touch of the Magi, Rune of Power and Arcane Power.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Empyreal Ordnance Usage
Empyreal Ordnance is a trinket that you can get in the weekly Vault, or as a drop from Oryphrion in Spires of Ascension. Although this is an on-use trinket, it is used slightly differently from other on-use trinkets. When you activate the trinket, it shoots out 5 orbs that travel quite slowly towards random targets around you — not your target, but any target within range of you — after which they fly back to you. The main use of this trinket is not for the damage of the orbs, but for the bonus Intellect they give you when they come back to you. When there is only one target around, they will always go for that target. When you are max range from this target, it takes about 20 seconds for the orbs to travel to the target and back to you. The aim is to have the buffs from the orbs returning to you up before using Arcane Power, which means: if you are max range from your target, you want to activate the trinket around 20 seconds before you plan to use Arcane Power.
Fortunately, on the opener, the current optimal Arcane rotation already delays Arcane Power for around 15-20 seconds (see rotation link below), which means if you stand around 25 yards around from the closest target, you will get the large Intellect buff right before you plan to use Arcane Power. 25 Yards is around 60% of maximum range from the target. You do not need to be 100% exactly 25 yards away from the target, as getting the buff a couple seconds earlier or later will still give you a large overlap with Arcane Power.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated for 9.0.5 by adding Valor upgrade suggestions.
- 02 Mar. 2021: Updated BiS list for Empyreal Ordnance and added description on how to use Empyreal Ordnance.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch. Updated BiS list for season 1 of Shadowlands, added Legendaries, Conduits and early Shadowlands gearing sections. Removed mentions of BfA mechanics like Azerite and Essences.
- 21 Oct. 2020: Updated Best in Slot for newly-found strong items.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- The Reddit Singularity: Deathwing As Both Mount and Player Housing
- Fire Mage in Patch 9.1: An Initial PTR Spec Overview
- New Leadership for Overwatch After Jeff Kaplan Leaves Blizzard
- Torghast, Sanctum of Domination Loot Item Level
- When Will Daisy the Sloth Become Available?
- New Text-to-Speech Accessibility Option Coming in Patch 9.1
- World of Warcraft's 17th Anniversary Rewards
- Shadowlands Patch 9.0.5 Live Patch Notes: April 20th