Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.1)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Fire Mage in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats as well, followed by advice on how to choose the rest of your gear and your trinkets to optimize your gameplay..
This page is part of our Fire Mage PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Fire Mages in PvP
The stat priority for Fire Mage in PvP is as follows:
- Critical Strike;
Intellect is the best stat in all situations. Haste is the best stat to be stacking as a Mage. This reduces the cast time of important abilities like Polymorph. Versatility is the second-best stat to have. This reduces the damage you take and increases the overall damage you deal.
In general, Fire Mages want to get trinkets that line up well with Combustion. These trinkets can have a passive or on-use effect. The stat you want to be increasing is Intellect. The reason you want to increase Intellect is because it drastically increases your overall damage output. For more information about Combustion and your rotation in PvP, please refer to our dedicated page. In addition, with the new Patch 9.1 changes to PvP gear, it will be extremely important to obtain as much of your gear as possible in PvP. With the new scaling, it will be the most powerful.
Below, you will find our current BiS list.
- Head: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Guise
- Neck: Unchained Gladiator's Necklace
- Shoulders: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Mantle
- Cloak: Unchained Gladiator's Drape
- Chest: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Robe — This is likely where you make Triune Ward.
- Wrists: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Armbands
- Hands: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Gloves
- Waist: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Cord
- Legs: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Leggings
- Feet: Unchained Gladiator's Silk Treads
- Ring 1: Unchained Gladiator's Ring
- Ring 2: Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet or Unchained Aspirant's Ring
- Weapon: Unchained Gladiator's Vesper or Whichever Weapon comes from your Covenant that is Haste/Versatility.
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a Versatility boost that will increase your overall damage and reduce damage taken.
Unchained Gladiator's Medallion is typically 1 of 2 trinkets to have equipped at all times. This allows you to remove any crowd control on yourself. You will normally use this when you are stuck in crowd control and in danger of dying. Note, if you play a Human, Unchained Gladiator's Relentless Brooch is a better option.
Unchained Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Haste and has a 1-minute cooldown that increases your primary stat. This is great to use right before you activate a powerful cooldown like Combustion.
Unchained Gladiator's Emblem increases your maximum health when used. This gives you an additional defensive when you think a team will be attacking you often.
Unchained Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity increases your Haste and has a chance to proc your primary stat. This is an overall strong trinket, as the stat will proc often throughout an arena match.
Gems and Enchants
Here are the best enchants for a Fire Mage:
- Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Eternal Intellect
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Haste
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
Gem all of your gear with Versatile Jewel Cluster or Quick Jewel Cluster. As of writing this guide, Domination Sockets seem to be nerfed and not worth the loss from the scaled Item Level in PvP gear to equip. Domination Sockets likely should not be used, however if this does change, the guide will be updated to reflect this.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A New Tradition: Celebrate a Change of Seasons With a Tree Gathering
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40290 Class Changes
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: September 23rd
- In Celebration Of Diablo 2: Resurrected, We're Discounting Our Premium Subscription
- Patch 9.1.5 PTR Notes: September 23rd
- Shadowlands 9.1 Season 2 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Week 11
- Rogue Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40290)
- Priest Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40290)