Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.2)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Fire Mage in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the right stats as well, followed by advice on how to choose the rest of your gear and your trinkets to optimize your gameplay..
This page is part of our Fire Mage PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Fire Mages in PvP
The stat priority for Fire Mage in PvP is as follows:
- Critical Strike;
Intellect is the best stat in all situations. Haste is the best stat to be stacking as a Mage. This reduces the cast time of important abilities like Polymorph. Versatility is the second-best stat to have. This reduces the damage you take and increases the overall damage you deal.
In general, Fire Mages want to get trinkets that line up well with Combustion. These trinkets can have a passive or on-use effect. The stat you want to be increasing is Intellect. The reason you want to increase Intellect is because it drastically increases your overall damage output. For more information about Combustion and your rotation in PvP, please refer to our dedicated page. In addition, with the new Patch 9.2 changes to PvP gear, it will be extremely important to obtain as much of your gear as possible in PvP. With the new scaling, it will be the most powerful.
Below, you will find our current BiS list.
- Head: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Guise
- Neck: Cosmic Gladiator's Necklace
- Shoulders: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Mantle
- Cloak: Cosmic Gladiator's Drape
- Chest: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Robe — This is likely where you make Triune Ward.
- Wrists: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Armbands
- Hands: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Gloves
- Waist: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Cord
- Legs: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Leggings
- Feet: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Treads
- Ring 1: Cosmic Gladiator's Ring
- Ring 2: Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet or Disciplinary Command.
- Weapon: Cosmic Gladiator's Vesper.
Tier Sets for Fire Mage
Ideally, you should be to be fully equipped in Conquest gear. At the time of updating this guide, the Tier Set pieces do not have great stat weights on them, and the set bonus is mediocre in PvP combat. The Fire Mage 2-Piece bonus gives 2 additional seconds to Combustion, and the Fire Mage 4-Piece bonus allows Fire Blast and Phoenix Flames to recharge 50% faster. The tier set bonuses are strong, but not worth sacrificing significant amounts of Haste and Versatility for them. If you wish to use them, attempt to use the pieces that have Haste and Versatility first, and then Haste or Versatility secondly. Try to avoid pieces with Critical Strike and Mastery.
How to Acquire Tier Sets
There are many ways to get the tier set pieces, but the ones you will want to get are the ones through PvP activities, as they come with the +13 item level increase in PvP combat. In order to acquire these tier sets, you need to get them in the Great Vault or eventually create them from the Creation Catalyst.
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a Intellect and Stamina boost that will increase your overall damage and have higher health pools.
Cosmic Gladiator's Medallion is typically 1 of 2 trinkets to have equipped at all times. This allows you to remove any crowd control on yourself. You will normally use this when you are stuck in crowd control and in danger of dying. Note, if you play a Human, Cosmic Gladiator's Relentless Brooch is a better option.
Cosmic Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Critical Strike and has a 1-minute cooldown that increases your primary stat. This is great to use right before you activate a powerful cooldown like Combustion.
Cosmic Gladiator's Emblem increases your maximum health when used. This gives you an additional defensive when you think a team will be attacking you often.
Cosmic Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity increases your Haste and has a chance to proc your primary stat. This is an overall strong trinket, as the stat will proc often throughout an arena match.
Cosmic Gladiator's Devouring Malediction is Patch 9.2's new version of Unchained Gladiator's Shackles, however, the new malediction requires you to drain absorption to unleash it in a cone in front of you. This will be good into classes such as Warlock with Dark Pact.
Cosmic Gladiator's Eternal Aegis is another defensive trinket, and provides strong defense against magic damage. Consider this trinket against heavy magic damage-dealing compositions
Cosmic Gladiator's Resonator is a pure damage trinket that acts similar to a grenade. It does a significant amount of damage, however at the time of writing this guide, this trinket has not been tested and therefore may not be viable.
Cosmic Gladiator's Echoing Resolve is another new trinket, that works in the opposite way of Cosmic Gladiator's Relentless Brooch. Instead of decreasing time within CC, it increases it, however once affected, the player is protected from 1 spell interruption or CC effect for 15 seconds. Again, this trinket has not been tested and could end up being a strong choice for being immune to 1 CC ability.
Cosmic Gladiator's Fastidious Resolve is the final new trinket in 9.2. With a 3-minute cooldown, players are able to activate this trinket to become immune to 2 interruption or CC effects for 15 seconds. This trinket could be very strong in compositions where it is important to not get CC'd on Combustion or potentially even use this trinket defensively before an enemy wants to Crowd Control your team.
Gems and Enchants
Here are the best enchants for a Fire Mage:
- Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Eternal Intellect
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Haste
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes