Fire Mage PvP Best Arena Compositions (Shadowlands / 9.2)
Team composition in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena is very important, because not all classes work well together. Here, we give you the best compositions you can have for your Fire Mage (i.e., the best classes to pair with it).
This page is part of our Fire Mage PvP Guide.
In 2v2 Arena, you do not have many options. It can be quite difficult to kill a healer in 2v2 by yourself, so you will likely be focusing an enemy DPS. Before you use your burst rotation, make sure the enemy healer is in crowd control. Ideally, you will be playing with a healer that can stun. After the stun, cast Polymorph and use your burst rotation. If you get interrupted while casting Polymorph, you can still cast Fire spells. Fire Mages have a lot of instant damage and will not struggle against melee DPS like the other Mage specializations. It is important to note that Mages have Spellsteal and can use it to steal HoTs to heal themselves. This is a great spell versus Restoration Druids and Discipline Priests that have multiple spells that you can steal.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 2v2:
- Fire Mage + Subtlety Rogue
- Fire Mage + Discipline Priest
- Fire Mage + Restoration Druid
- Fire Mage + Holy Paladin
Your role in 3v3 is similar to 2v2 Arena. As a Fire Mage, you will be focusing on controlling the enemy team with slows and using Polymorph. Before your team uses burst cooldowns, make sure there is crowd control on the enemy healer. If you are playing with a Rogue, remember that Polymorph shares a diminishing return with Sap and your Polymorph will be half duration in the opener. Remember, Fire Mage damage is mostly instant and you need to balance damage with crowd control. While you are using crowd control, weave in instant Pyroblasts or make sure you have Hot Streak procs so you can start dealing damage as soon as the enemy healer is in crowd control. It is important to note that you are not limited to using Polymorph on the enemy healer. If an enemy DPS using their burst cooldowns, you can slow/root and Polymorph them. This will help your healer significantly. Most Fire Mage compositions rely on landing Crowd Control in the form of Dragon's Breath and combining a Polymorph off. These two spells work in tandem together quite well, and can make for easy CC on healers or other targets that need to be controlled. Between rotating your instantj-cast damage, Polymorph dimishing returns, and using Mobility like Shimmer and Soulshape to run from enemies, Fire Mage is one of the strongest caster specializations in the game.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 3v3:
- MLD (Fire Mage + Affliction Warlock + Restoration Druid)
- RMP (Fire Mage + Subtlety Rogue + Holy Priest)
- WMP (Fire Mage + Fury Warrior + Holy Paladin)
- FMP (Fire Mage + Feral Druid + Holy Priest)
- Boomy/Mage (Fire Mage + Balance Druid + Holy Paladin)
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes