Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage gear and best in slot.
Azerite Gear for Fire Mage
You should look for the high item level items with any of the Wildfire, Blaster Master or Firemind traits. These can drop from World Quests, Dungeons, Warfronts, PvP, reputations, etc., so you should try to do all possible content. Below, we have listed some good items to look for based on how to obtain them and the Azerite Traits they have on them.
- Head: Visage of Nightmarish Machinations — N'Zoth the Corruptor, Ny'alotha
- Shoulders: Spaulders of Miasmic Mycelia — Carapace of N'Zoth, Ny'alotha
- Chest: Robes of Unreality — The Prophet Skitra, Ny'alotha
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn , select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Corruptions and Corrupted Items
For more information about the best Corruptions and Corrupted items you can get, please refer to our dedicated page.
Trinket Notes for Fire Mage
This section applies to builds only using one, or zero, on-use trinkets. See the section below for double on-use trinkets.
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets and Titanforged / Corrupted rewards from Mythic+ dungeon grinding there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should always try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Fire relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Rune of Power and Combustion.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Double On-Use Trinket Build
Fire Mages are in a unique situation where you can run double on-use trinkets. This is possible by combining Azshara's Font of Power together with Corrupted Gladiator's Badge, since you can use Azshara's Font of Power 20 seconds before you intend to use the rest of your cooldowns ( Combustion and Rune of Power), and then during the rest of your cooldowns activating the Gladiator's Badge. This will result in having both on-use effects active during Combustion.
When should you use double on-use trinkets?
As long as you are running Memory of Lucid Dreams, combined with three Blaster Master traits, running double on-use is generally the best build you can run. However, the best way to guarantee it is best for your build is by running Raidbots Top Gear, since it is fully capable of simulating double on-use gear sets.
Rotation Changes for Double On-Use Trinkets
Since on-use trinkets share a 20 second cooldown with each other, you cannot simply press both trinkets at the same time and have both effects active for Combustion. To get around this, you should use Azshara's Font of Power 20 seconds before Combustion comes up (or 20 seconds before you plan to use Combustion, if you plan to hold on to it for a certain amount of time), and then when there are less than 2 seconds left on Corrupted Gladiator's Badge's cooldown, you should start your normal Combustion rotation with Memory of Lucid Dreams -> Rune of Power, and activating the Gladiator's Badge together with Combustion.
Your opener will also look slightly different when using double on-use trinkets. Instead of pulling the boss normally, you should use Azshara's Font of Power 7 seconds before the pull timer finishes, and delay your Combustion rotation until there are less than 2 seconds remaining on Corrupted Gladiator's Badge's cooldown, which should occur roughly 13 seconds into the fight.
Adding Sockets to your gear
8.3 added the Gouged Eye of N'Zoth as a reward from Corrupted Mementos. The best way to use this item, is to use it on an item with a good Corrupted effect on it, and is from the highest content that you do, to ensure it is on an item you will never replace. E.g., if you are a heroic raider, a good candidate would be Shgla'yos, Astral Malignity from Heroic Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha, with a tier 3 Infinite Stars Corrupted effect.
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls!
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. Additionally, a mediocre item with a good Corruption effect will often beat a slightly better item with a worse Corruption effect. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
For true best in slot (BiS) gear, you will want to apply the Masterful 3 Corruption effect to every single piece below that can have a Corruption effect. This means 9 Masterful 3 effects. With maxed out Corruption resistance, this will leave you on 45 Corruption. If 45 Corruption is too high for comfort, we suggest dropping one Masterful 3 for Masterful 1.
- 20 May 2020: Updated BiS for the new corruption vendor.
- 04 Apr. 2020: Moved Corruption section to a separate page and added a section for double on-use.
- 16 Jan. 2020: Updated incorrect boss for a BiS item.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Added BiS List, corruption section, and updated other sections for changed in 8.3.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Clarified section on Azerite gear.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Added Mechagon items.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Changed benthic belt to a belt which works on every boss.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite suggestions and added gear from The Eternal Palace.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Added Benthic gear info.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Updated trinket list for latest hotfixes and findings.
- 16 Jul. 2018: Updated for the Battle for Azeroth pre-patch.
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Suspensions Coming for Green Scepter Shard Griefing
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Great Vault Mythic Dungeons Item Choices Explained
- Patch 8.3.7 and Classic Hotfixes: July 31st
- Ectoplasmic Distiller Hotfix: July 31st
- Night Elf Male Blindfold Customization Option in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.1 Build 35360: Class Changes