Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.
1. Patch 8.2 Outdoor Gearing for Raid
Nazjatar has a new currency called Prismatic Manapearl. This currency can be used to purchase potentially powerful Benthic gear. This gear starts at 385 and can be upgraded to 425 using these pearls, and may also roll sockets and tertiary stats when first opened up. Benthic gear has effects that are only active inside Nazjatar and The Eternal Palace. Notable pieces include the following.
- Benthic Girdle — Vim's Scalecrusher Belt provides a damage proc.
- Benthic Bracers — Most pieces have some form of damage proc, but the best of the bunch is Waveblade Farseer's Bindings.
- Benthic Treads — Akana's Reefstrider Soles is a flat 3% Critical Strike damage. Given how much Fire relies on Critical Strikes, this is ridiculously powerful.
- Benthic Gloves — Poen's Deepsea Gloves are the best of the proc effects on the glove token.
2. Patch 8.2 Mechagon gearing for Raid
Operation: Mechagon has a couple of interesting items for a Fire Mage.
- Hyperthread Wristwraps are extremely strong. Although you might be inclined to activate the bracers after using Combustion, Rune of Power and Meteor, the best way to use it is in the middle of Combustion, right after a Fire Blast → Pyroblast → Fire Blast combo. This way, the item will refund two Fire blast charges, which allows you more Hot Streaks during Combustion.
- Logic Loop of Division is the best of the "if" rings from Mechagon.
- Shorting Bit Band or Overclocking Bit Band should be used alongside the Logic Loop of Division. They are both very close in strength, so pick the one which you have higher item level, or with a socket.
3. Azerite Gear for Fire Mage
Because the Azerite Traits scale in strength with the item level of the item equipped, and with the possibility of Titanforging items, an exact list of best items is impossible to make. You should look for the high item level items with any of the Wildfire, Blaster Master, Undulating Tides or Firemind traits. These can drop from World Quests, Dungeons, Warfronts, PvP, reputations, etc., so you should try to do all possible content. Below, we have listed some good items to look for based on how to obtain them and the Azerite Traits they have on them.
- Head: Incubator's Bellcap — Orgozoa, The Eternal Palace
- Shoulders: Amice of the Reef Witch — The Queen's Court, The Eternal Palace
- Chest: Siren Mystic's Vestments — Abyssal Commander Sivara, The Eternal Palace
4. Evaluating Upgrades
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn , select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
5. Trinket Notes for Fire Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets and Titanforged rewarded from Mythic+ dungeon grinding there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should always try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Fire relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Rune of Power and Combustion. A key trinket that is very easy to get, and extremely powerful, is Highborne Compendium of Storms. This trinket can simply be bought on the auction house for a couple thousand gold, and is among the best trinkets in the game.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Added Mechagon items.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Changed benthic belt to a belt which works on every boss.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite suggestions and added gear from The Eternal Palace.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Added Benthic gear info.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Updated trinket list for latest hotfixes and findings.
- 16 Jul. 2018: Updated for the Battle for Azeroth pre-patch.
- Classic Spotlight: Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 12th
- Beguiling Affix - Void-Touched Emissary Nerf: July 12th
- 3 Days of WoW Game Time for Inactive Players
- WoW Classic Beta Ends Today
- Aqueous Reliquary Drop Clarifications
- Hunter Beta Issues - Not a Bug, Fixed and Actual Bugs
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 11th
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Completely lost here on Icy-Veins
- Protection Warrior 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Rogue Leveling Guide
- Restoration Druid 8.2
- One with the Pack - How much Crit?
- Operation: Mechagon Dungeon