Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Dragonflight 10.0.7
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft Dragonflight 10.0.7.
If you were looking for WotLK Classic content, please refer to our WotLK Classic Fire Mage gear and best in slot.
Gearing an Fire Mage
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Fire Mage. This section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear for which you need gems and enchant advice, you can find everything on our dedicated page below.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Fire Mage
At this stage in the game, and despite the stat priority, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Conduits, Legendaries, trinkets, and combinations thereof in a way tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to consider all the variables.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots' Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Upgrading Gear with Valor Points
You can use Valor to upgrade the item level of any gear that drops from Mythic+ dungeons or the dungeon reward from the weekly chest up to 415. (based on rating, caps at 2400 rating) This is especially useful for certain trinkets, as often there are dungeon trinkets that are better than raid trinkets when upgraded to a similar item level.
Onyx Annulet and Primordial Gems
Patch 10.0.7 Added the new Primordial Gems system. You can obtain the new ring Onyx Annulet, which fits 3 of the new Primordial Gems.
For more information regarding the Onyx Annulet, the Primordial Gemstones, and how to obtain them, check out our dedicated guide for it below.
For a list of what Primordial Gems are the best for Fire Mage, see our Enchants and Gems page.
Keep in mind, at current tuning, the Onyx Annulet Ring is (slightly) worse than other available ring options if you are a mythic raider or have Otherwise ways to get 415+ item level rings. We do however expect the ring to get some buffs closely after release of Patch 10.0.7 to make it better.
Crafted Gear & Embellishments
Via crafting professions or using the work order system, you can craft some powerful gear, on par or even better than Mythic raid items. There are many options available for crafting, further complicated by the different types of embellishments available. You can at most have 2 embellishments on your gear, but you can have an unlimited amount of crafted items equipped; however, this is gated by Spark of Ingenuity.
The most important part to realize is that for all the best crafted items, you need a Spark of Ingenuity. You can only get one of these every 2 weeks, so at the start of the patch, it is important to craft the correct items, as crafting a different item will have to wait 2 weeks.
At the start of the tier, you will be able to craft 2 items. (1 from the initial quest chain and a second from the first bi-weekly reward) Which items you want to craft will heavily depend on the type of content you do and what items you loot. Below we will list some guidelines on what you want to craft. However, using sims to figure out the best crafts for your character is the best approach. Ultimately, what you want to craft heavily depends on your goals and how much power you want now versus later. We do not suggest crafting a 2-handed staff as you can only put 1 embellishment into it, unlike 2 if you craft 1-handed + off-hand.
- A 1-handed weapon with Potion Absorption Inhibitor (or no Embellishment) in it. It does not matter if you get a dagger, wand, or sword since you can customize its stats. You should always do this if you expect not to get a 421 or higher weapon from the content you are doing. We suggest you do not craft weapons if you expect to (quickly) get a 421+ weapon. Weapons are also substantial upgrades right away, so if you want quick power, weapons will give the biggest available upgrade.
- Amice of the Blue is a powerful item on its own, making it one of the strongest to craft. However, it conflicts with a tier slot, making it potentially a difficult item to craft early, as it might delay your 4-set bonus. It is generally a very strong item, and recommended to craft, although in a full best-in-slot setup it is not used. But this is only the case when you are in full best-in-slot mythic raiding gear.
- Elemental Lariat is also very good to craft because the neck slot has no primary stat. Hence, item level is not that important, meaning you are not at risk of looting an upgrade for it and having "wasted" the craft. Due to this, it is a very safe option to craft with no risk of wasting a craft. It is usually a smaller DPS gain early on than a weapon or Amice of the Blue, but still a great week 1 craft. It is part of any "best-in-slot" set, meaning you will use it forever. However, this does not mean you automatically need to craft it first, as other items might be a bigger upgrade early on.
- Assuming you crafted either Amice of the Blue or Elemental Lariat, Craft items for your lowest item level slots and add Potion Absorption Inhibitor to them. Try to avoid tier slots in case you loot tier items.
- Overengineered Sleeve Extenders with pure haste. This is a great non-Embellished item, because you can craft it with pure haste and no other secondary stat. This is a good 3rd or later crafted item.
- After applying 2 embellishments to your gear (the cap), you should focus on crafting whatever crafted item without an embellishment sims best for you.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Below we will go over various options regarding your "best in slot." set. It is important to realize that best in slot is not something obtainable anymore due to the vast pool of available items due to Raids and Mythic+. Even more importantly, a best-in-slot list can be very misleading because many items might only be an upgrade once you gather the entire set. So instead, below, we go over various parts of your gear and discuss available options. All of this is to say it is much more reliable to sim yourself using instead of trying to follow a predetermined best-in-slot list.
Best in slot Trinkets for Fire Mage
Below, we go over some strong trinket options available. Keep in mind, as always, depending on your available gear, your best trinkets might be different from the ones listed below. For the best personalized advice, sim yourself with Raidbots Top Gear.
For Fire, you generally want one on-use item to align with your DPS cooldowns and one passive trinket for the stats, however this is not a hard rule you have to follow, especially as there are some very strong passive trinkets in this tier. The list below assumes you have the trinkets at the highest item level available unless otherwise noted.
Generally, we suggest running Furious Ragefeather + Whispering Incarnate Icon as your two trinkets if you can obtain them at the highest item level. See below for some other options.
- Conjured Chillglobe: Dropped by the Primal Council in Vault of the Incarnates is the best on-use trinket on pure single target and still a decent AoE/cleave trinket.
- Whispering Incarnate Icon: Dropped by the Primal Council in Vault of the Incarnates is one of the best passive trinkets available.
- Furious Ragefeather, is the best passive trinket at 421 item level. (from Vault +20) At 415 item level it is second best, and you can farm it by doing The Nokhud Offensive Mythic+ and then upgrading it via Valor.
- Eye of Skovald, from the Mythic+ chest in Halls of Valor (or the weekly vault) is another good single target passive trinket you can use.
- Horn of Valor: Dropped from the Mythic+ chest in Halls of Valor (or the weekly vault) is the second-best on-use trinket on single target, and the best on-use trinket on AoE/cleave.
- Time-Breaching Talon: Dropped by Chrono-Lord Deios in Uldaman: Legacy of Tyr. Since Uldaman is not in the Season 1 Mythic+ rotation, you can only obtain this at an item level of 372 at the highest. However, even at that low item level, it is a top 3 on-use trinket. Even at heroic item level, it is a top 5 on-use trinket. You can farm it easily by doing heroic Uldaman if you have no other good trinkets.
- A special note on Desperate Invoker's Codex: This trinket might sim (very) well, but in practice the trinket is not worth using, as it is very easy to die to the negative effect. It can easily do more than 50% of your health, even going as far as 1-shotting you from full health if hatred stacks are high.
Tier Set for Fire Mage
With the release of season 1 of Dragonflight, Fire Mage gets a new set bonus:
- Fire Mage 2pc: Pyroblast and Flamestrike cast with Hot Streak deal 10% increased damage.
- Fire Mage 4pc: Fire Blast, Phoenix Flames, and Fireball deal 10% increased damage, and their chance to critically strike is increased by 10%.
Both the 2 and 4 sets are a decent DPS increase on single target and a smaller increase in AoE, around 5% for 2 set and another 3-4% for 4 set on single target and AoE.
Since the whole set is around an 8% DPS increase, it is worth getting the set bonus. The best 4 set items are all except legs, but if you get the legs piece, it is worth using if it gets you to 2 or 4 sets. Generally, if you do not have Leggings of Swirling Runes from the weekly vault at a high item level, then crafting Amice of the Blue as your non-tier item is the best.
Weapons for Fire Mage
There are no special weapons that you are looking after for Fire Mage. Your main goal should be the highest possible item level available amongst the content you are clearing, as weapons have a very high amount of intellect compared to other items.
The highest item level available weapon for Fire Mage is Stormlash's Last Resort, dropped from Raszageth the Storm-Eater in Vault of the Incarnates. For off-hand, you can go with any 421 item level off-hand, preferably with critical strike, like Vexamus' Expulsion Rod, from Vexamus in Vault of the Incarnates.
However, since the best weapon is only available until after you killed the last raid boss on the highest difficulty, you are generally better off using a crafted weapon with the Bronzed Grip Wrappings embellishment on it if you have the Spark of Ingenuity to spare.
Other Best-in-Slot items for Fire Mage
Below we list some additional items that are extremely strong for Fire Mages and are generally considered as part of a BiS setup.
- Seal of Diurna's Chosen is a very strong ring with a special proc that is automatically procced by Fire Mages since it consistently does Fire damage.
- Seal of Filial Duty is the highest DPS ring alongside Seal of Diurna's Chosen, while also providing a nice defensive boost.
- Onyx Annulet is currently worse than other ring options in terms of raw DPS, but the utility / survivability could be considered if needed.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Added Onyx Annulet information and reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Updated best in slot advice based on updated theorycrafting.
- 17 Dec. 2022: Updated crafted gear due to bronzed grip changes.
- 13 Dec. 2022: Further updated crafted gear info with latest theorycrafting knowledge.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated trinket recommendations on further theorycrafting, and added more info for crafted gear.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for season 1, including crafted gear, m+ gear and raid gear.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Mage Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- Aberrus the Shadowed Crucible Raid Testing: March 24th
- Ebyssian and Emberthal Epilogue Cutscene in Patch 10.0.7
- How to Unlock Ancient Zul'Gurub Crafting in Patch 10.0.7
- To-Do List for Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Week #1
- A List of Undocumented Changes in Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7
- World Boss Bazual Available During the Week of March 22nd
- Baine Cutscene in Patch 10.0.7
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 21st