Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Fire Mage gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Fire Mage
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Fire Mage, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Fire Mage
At this stage in the game, and despite the stat priority, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Conduits, Legendaries, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots' Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Legendaries for Fire Mage
Generally speaking, Disciplinary Command is the best Legendary for all situations, and should be crafted for the Ring slot. You will want to craft it with a Missive of Haste and a Missive of Versatility. However, you might have to use other stat missives depending on your personal stat weights. We strongly suggest simming this yourself via Raidbots Top Gear. Generally speaking though, Haste and Versatility are going to be good choices.
After crafting and upgrading Disciplinary Command, we suggest crafting for more utility or niche Legendaries, like the ones below:
- Temporal Warp (Ring) - Better than Fevered Incantation in niche DPS scenarios.
- Grisly Icicle (Head) - Amazing for soloing Torghast and solo content in general.
- Triune Ward (Neck) - Great defensive option when DPS is not relevant or as important.
If you are looking for an in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Fire Mage
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Fire Mage
- Infernal Cascade
- Controlled Destruction
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only)
- Flame Accretion
- Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Fire Mage
- Infernal Cascade
- Master Flame
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
- Controlled Destruction
- Flame Accretion
For more info regarding which Conduits to pick for each situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Domination Sockets for Fire Mages
Domination Sockets are a new type of socket introduced in Patch 9.1. These sockets appear on specific items dropped from bosses in Sanctum of Domination, with each armor type having a maximum of 5 slots available. You can find more general information regarding Domination Sockets on our general guide, linked below.
For Fire Mages, the following slots are available for Domination Sockets:
As a Fire Mage, you will want the following 5 Domination Shards, listed in order of importance:
This gives you all 3 damage Shards, and the Unholy 3-piece bonus.
Upgrading Gear with Valor Points
Patch 9.0.5 reintroduced the Valor currency. For more information on where to get Valor from, how it works, weekly caps and more, see our Valor page.
Fire Mages do not have any key items from Mythic+ like some other specs do. So, what is best to upgrade will mostly be determined by what item slots are currently the worst. The easiest way to figure out what is best for your specific character is by using Raidbots' Droptimizer. You can select "+10 Weekly Chest" as a stand-in for the highest item level Valor upgrade. The only exception is for trinkets. If you cannot or do not want to do PvP for Sinful Aspirant's Badge of Ferocity, we strongly suggest upgrading an on-use trinket from Mythic+. Below we have listed some suggested items you might consider upgrading first, however, as written earlier, it is strongly suggested to use simulations to figure out what to upgrade.
- Inscrutable Quantum Device if you do not plan to get Sinful Aspirant's Badge of Ferocity.
- Depraved Physician's Mask (if using Disciplinary Command): This helm is BiS and slightly better than any other helm from raid content.
- Any weapon if you have a weapon below 220 item level: Although the BiS weapon comes from raid content, a weapon is generally going to be the biggest short-term upgrade. Use the droptimizer link above to find which weapon works best for your character.
Trinket Notes for Fire Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets from Raiding, World bosses, Mythic+ and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should generally try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Fire relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Rune of Power and Combustion. This is less important when running Night Fae and Kindling, as you will be bursting much more often and your trinket will most likely be desynced from your cooldowns.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Double on-use Trinkets for Fire Mage
Soul Igniter is a trinket that works slightly differently from other trinkets. Unlike other trinkets, it can be used immediately after another trinket. This allows you to use the trinket right after you use a different on-use trinket, e.g. Sinful Aspirant's Badge of Ferocity. Due to this, you can activate your other on-use trinket first, and immediately after activate Soul Igniter. It is worth noting that the cooldown of Soul Igniter does not begin until you re-activate it, or it expires. Due to this, if you are running 1-minute Mage (via Kindling + being Night Fae), you will want to re-activate Soul Igniter immediately to trigger the cooldown so the cooldown stays synced with Combustion.
The macro below will first activate Soul Igniter, and on a second press fire it. Since you want to shoot it very quickly upon activating it, you can use this macro to quickly cast and shoot it.
- /use soul igniter
- /cancelaura soul ignition
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end-game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Removed PTR disclaimer.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated domination socket suggestions based on last minute PTR changes.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 25 Mar. 2021: Added macro for Soul Igniter.
- 10 Mar. 2021: Removed Disciplinary Command disclaimer.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor upgrade suggestions.
- 06 Mar. 2021: Updated Legendary section and BiS list due to Disciplinary Command buffs in 9.0.5.
- 24 Dec. 2020: Added a note on Soul Igniter usage.
- 23 Dec. 2020: Updated suggested Missives to match stat weights page.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Updated to be more informative in what missives to use for your Legendary.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated page for Fevered Incantation bugfix (buff), causing it to become BiS.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Launch. Removed sections for Azerite and Essences, added sections for Legendaries, Conduits and early Shadowlands gearing. Updated Trinket and Best in Slot section for Shadowlands gear.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power