Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.0.2
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.0.2.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Fire Mage
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Fire Mage, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
Early Gearing in Shadowlands as a Fire Mage
When Season 1 of Shadowlands begins, most of your gear will come from either Raiding, Mythic+, PvP, or the weekly chest. However, none of these options are available the first couple of weeks of Shadowlands. Below, we go over some of the best ways to get geared early on in Shadowlands.
- Covenant Callings: These are daily quests that can give you up to 200 item level gear and Conduits.
- The Maw: Rares and Events in The Maw can drop up to 184 item level gear.
- Battlegrounds: You can exchange Honor Points for up to item level 184 gear.
- Mythic dungeons: Although Mythic+ is not open yet, standard Mythic dungeons are open. These drop 184 item level loot and can be looted once per week.
- Reputation: Getting honored allows you to buy 181 item level gear and getting exalted gives 200 item level gear. All new reputations contain useful items for Mages, so you should try to get all of them up.
The Importance of "Simming Yourself" as a Fire Mage
At this stage in the game, and despite the stat priority, there are so many variables and so many layers of optimization that you can apply to your character, that there is no way for a guide or anything else to tell you exactly what gear you should wear. This is why we always recommend simulating your own character using Raidbots. The website can help you choose set bonuses, Conduits, Legendaries, trinkets and combinations thereof in a way that is tailored completely to your specific character. Learning to use this tool is essential to maximizing your potential, as there is simply no other way to take all the variables into account.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn , select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Legendaries for Fire Mage
Generally speaking, Fevered Incantation is the best Legendary for all situations, and should be crafted for the Helm slot. You will want to craft it with a Missive of Haste and a Missive of Versatility. However, you might have to use other stat missives depending on your personal stat weights. We strongly suggest simming this yourself via Raidbots Top Gear. Generally speaking though, Haste + Versatility is going to be a good choice.
After crafting and upgrading Fevered Incantation, we suggest crafting for more utility or niche Legendaries, like the ones below:
- Temporal Warp (Ring) - Better than Fevered Incantation in niche DPS scenarios.
- Grisly Icicle (Head) - Amazing for soloing Torghast and solo content in general.
- Triune Ward (Neck) - Great defensive option when DPS is not relevant or as important.
If you are looking for an in-depth explanation on what Legendary to pick for what situation and how to obtain them, read our Legendary page below.
Conduits for Fire Mage
Best Single-Target Potency Conduits for Fire Mage
- Infernal Cascade
- Controlled Destruction
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only)
- Flame Accretion
- Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
Best Cleave / AoE Potency Conduits for Fire Mage
- Infernal Cascade
- Master Flame
- Discipline of the Grove (Night Fae only) / Siphoned Malice (Venthyr only) / Ire of the Ascended (Kyrian only) / Gift of the Lich (Necrolord only)
- Controlled Destruction
- Flame Accretion
For more info regarding which Conduits to pick for each situation, check our full Covenants, Soulbinds & Conduits page.
Trinket Notes for Fire Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets from Raiding, World bosses, Mythic+ and PvP, there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should generally try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Fire relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Rune of Power and Combustion. This is less important when running Night Fae and Kindling, as you will be bursting much more often and your trinket will most likely be desynced from your cooldowns.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Double on-use Trinkets for Fire Mage
Soul Igniter is a trinket that works slightly differently from other trinkets. Unlike other trinkets, it can be used immediately after another trinket. This allows you to use the trinket right after you use a different on-use trinket, e.g. Sinful Aspirant's Badge of Ferocity. Due to this, you can activate your other on-use trinket first, and immediately after activate Soul Igniter. It is worth noting, that the cooldown of Soul Igniter does not begin until you re-activate it, or it expires. Due to this, if you are running 1-minute Mage (Via Kindling + being Night Fae) you will want to re-activate Soul Igniter immediately to trigger the cooldown so the cooldown stays synced with Combustion.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end-game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
- 24 Dec. 2020: Added a note on Soul Igniter usage.
- 23 Dec. 2020: Updated suggested Missives to match stat weights page.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Updated to be more informative in what missives to use for your legendary.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated page for Fevered Incantation bugfix (buff), causing it to become BiS.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Launch. Removed sections for Azerite and Essences, added sections for Legendaries, Conduits and early Shadowlands gearing. Updated Trinket and Best in Slot section for Shadowlands gear.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Spec Tier List for Mythic+ in Shadowlands
- Fan Concept of Nightborne Customization Options
- Vicarious Visions Studio Being Merged Into Blizzard by Activision
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 22nd
- Upcoming PvP Class Tuning: January 26th
- Official Overview of All Shadowlands Mounts, Pets and Toys Part 1
- Castle Nathria Tank and Healer Log Rankings and Analysis
- 21 Billion Gold Moves Through WoW Each Day