Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Fire Mage in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Azerite Gear for Fire Mage
You should look for the high item level items with any of the Wildfire, Blaster Master or Firemind traits. These can drop from World Quests, Dungeons, Warfronts, PvP, reputations, etc., so you should try to do all possible content. Below, we have listed some good items to look for based on how to obtain them and the Azerite Traits they have on them.
- Head: Visage of Nightmarish Machinations — N'Zoth the Corruptor, Ny'alotha
- Shoulders: Spaulders of Miasmic Mycelia — Carapace of N'Zoth, Ny'alotha
- Chest: Robes of Unreality — The Prophet Skitra, Ny'alotha
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn , select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Trinket Notes for Fire Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets and Titanforged / Corrupted rewards from Mythic+ dungeon grinding there are a variety of suitable options when it comes to trinkets. It is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
You should always try to aim for one on-use trinket that gives a lot of stats, and one passive trinket. This is because Fire relies a lot on burst DPS, due to cooldown stacking with Rune of Power and Combustion.
You can use the trinket list below as a reference of potential trinkets to aim for. The link at the bottom can be used to view a list of all trinkets.
Adding Sockets to your gear
8.3 added the Gouged Eye of N'Zoth as a reward from Corrupted Mementos. The best way to use this item, is to use it on an item with a good Corrupted effect on it, and is from the highest content that you do, to ensure it is on an item you will never replace. E.g., if you are a heroic raider, a good candidate would be Shgla'yos, Astral Malignity from Heroic Carapace of N'Zoth in Ny'alotha, with a tier 3 Infinite Stars Corrupted effect.
What Gear Do I Farm/Bonus Roll/Chase After?
When identifying what gear you should be aiming after, we recommend using RaidBots' Droptimizer feature. It requires the SimulationCraft Addon. Once you have the addon installed, write "/simc" into the chat in-game, and copy-pasting the contents into the RaidBots Droptimizer.
Simply select the raid and difficulty you are interested in, and RaidBots will take a while to figure out where you should spend your bonus rolls, and more.
Best in Slot Gear for Raiding
Note that this is not a guide on which bosses to bonus roll. Refer to the Droptimizer guide above to plan out your bonus rolls!
Keep in mind the below gear is just an example of strong set of end game gear. Depending on your current gear, the items below might not be the best items to equip for each slot. Additionally, a mediocre item with a good corruption effect will often beat a slightly better item with a worse corruption effect. As always, to determine your own gear, use Raidbots Top Gear.
Corrupted Gear for Fire Mages
A note on Corrupted Gear
Throughout the lifetime of Patch 8.3, all items available to you may have a chance to become corrupted, granting them additional effects. These effects also carry a Corruption cost, which leads to harmful effects.
The effects themselves are still being actively tuned, so all the below recommendations will most likely change in the future. Check back to this page regularly to see up to date recommendations.
For information on how to obtain and use corrupted items, check out our Corrupted Items Guide.
Picking Corruption items
The best way to determine which of your corrupted items to use, is by using Raidbots Top Gear. You should set a maximum corruption value that you are comfortable with, and simply simulate the highest DPS set.
Below we will have some guidance to help you pick effects, but ultimately it comes down to the amount of corruption the item has versus the DPS it gives you (DPS per corruption point), and how much corruption you are willing to have on your gear.
Infinite Stars is the best single target corruption effect, per point of corruption, and overall per item.
Gushing Wound only has 1 tier, but it is the second best DPS per corruption. You will most likely use this item early on, as corruption resistance still relatively low. When you have more corruption resistance, and you are still below your maximum corruption threshhold, you can consider dropping Gushing Wound for an effect with slightly lower DPS per corruption point, but more overall DPS.
Echoing Void is a bit less DPS per point of corruption than Gushing Wound, but is still an efficient use of corruption. Additionally, it has three tiers instead of just one, meaning when you have more corruption resistance, you can start using higher tiers of this item.
All the percentage stat corruption effects are roughly similar in strength and slightly worse than the effects listed above.
Corruption Effects Simulations
There are 2 types of simulations that can be done for the corruption effects, namely: DPS per point of corruption, and DPS per effect. Generally speaking, DPS per point of corruption is more important than DPS per total effect, since you only have a limited amount of corruption you can comfortably use in a raid setting. Below we have listed both types of simulations:
DPS per Point of Corruption
DPS per Effect
- 16 Jan. 2020: Updated incorrect boss for a BiS item.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Added BiS List, corruption section, and updated other sections for changed in 8.3.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Clarified section on Azerite gear.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Added Mechagon items.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Changed benthic belt to a belt which works on every boss.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite suggestions and added gear from The Eternal Palace.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Added Benthic gear info.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Updated trinket list for latest hotfixes and findings.
- 16 Jul. 2018: Updated for the Battle for Azeroth pre-patch.
- Legendary Weapons Transmogrification Guides for Visions of N'Zoth
- Mythic+ Mechagon Rewards Tweaked
- Upcoming Alterac Valley Changes in WoW Classic
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: January 22nd
- The Absolute Best WoW Story in 1.5 Minutes Video Ever
- Heroic Darkshore Warfront Now Available on EU Realms
- Delayed Auction House Mal Hotfix: January 22nd
- Visions of N'Zoth Daily Quests Rewards Increased via Hotfix
- Legendary Cloak Overview
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Mechagnomes Allied Race
- Legendary Weapons Transmog
- Death Knight Leveling
- Outlaw Rogue 8.2
- Restoration Shaman 8.2