Fire Mage PvP Talents and Builds (Dragonflight / 10.0.7)
Choosing the right PvP and PvE talents is a prerequisite to proper performance in PvP. This guide goes through the various talent choices available to you as a Fire Mage and gives you the best combinations you can take to ensure success.
This page is part of our Fire Mage PvP Guide.
Talent Choices for Fire Mages
While the above table provides a generally accurate overview of the viability of talents, some finer points are discussed in the sections that follow, and we recommend you read those for a deeper understanding.
Mage Tree Talent Highlights
- Slow. This talent is returning for Dragonflight, being very helpful with the mobility creep. With this talent, you can instantly apply Slow, and with the Mass Slow talent, it applies as an AoE slow as well.
- Blast Wave. A favorite from previous expansions, Blast Wave, returns in Dragonflight acting as it once did, giving an explosion effect around the caster and slowing enemies after. This is extremely strong to use when enemies are using heavy offensive cooldowns.
- Ice Nova. Also a strong root that you can utilize to keep enemies far away. Typically, combining a Blast Wave into Ice Nova will grant you some additional time away from your enemies.
- Mass Polymorph. This talent has been highly speculated upon, and it has yet to see much value, Fire Mages often like to Crowd Control only one target with Polymorph, and there is also the ability to chain Dragon's Breath into Ring of Frost if needed.
- Shifting Power. The Previous Night Fae covenant ability is now near the end of the Mage tree; this is an exceptional talent as resetting cooldowns, especially for Fire Mage, is quite strong.
- Time Manipulation is another new talent which makes Fire Blast reset the cooldown of loss of control effects by 2 seconds. This works especially well with Dragon's Breath, making it a significantly shorter cooldown.
- Time Anomaly, used for strong consistant damage, giving procs of Combustion, Fire Blast charges, or even Time Warp.
Fire Mage Tree Talent Highlights
- Firemind. a previous Azerite Trait, now granting bonus intellect based on consuming Hot Streak
- Flame Accelerant. A replacement for Tinder, granting the next Fireball increased damage and a reduced cast time.
- Fevered Incantation. A mighty stacking damage increase for hitting critical strikes consecutively.
- Fiery Rush. This talent recharges Fire Blast and Phoenix Flames cooldowns by 50% during Combustion. This is quite strong to maximize your rotation during Combustion.
- Hyperthermia. This capstone talent enables you to get procs that give you even higher consistant damage with spammable Pyroblasts throughout matches.
PvP Talents for Fire Mages
You can choose 3 of the following PvP talents, each has uses, but some are better for certain strategies than others. The top three choices are the most useful but can be replaced with other PvP talents depending on your team's goal.
Mandatory PvP Talents
Ring of Fire is a new PvP Talent for Mages and can provide high sustained damage if enemies are stuck in it. Typically, pairing this ability with a stun to get maximum value is where this ability shines.
Situational PvP Talents
If you can stand still throughout an arena match, Flamecannon is another great choice. This talent can also help with dealing with melee because it increases your maximum health. Still, it will primarily be used when you can free-cast Fireballs. You will also be able to cast fire spells from further away.
Prismatic Cloak reduces magical damage you take by 50% for 2 seconds after you Blink or Shimmer. This talent is great against teams with magical spells that deal large amounts of damage.
Netherwind Armor reduces the chance you will suffer a critical strike by 10%. This is very good for melee cleave teams that have potent spells that if they crit, you could lose a large amount of health from.
Pyrokinesis reduces the cooldown of your primary burst cooldown, Combustion, every time you deal damage with Fireball. This is important because this will make Combustion a shorter cooldown than the enemy trinket. If an enemy does not have a trinket when you have Combustion, you can kill them in a stun.
Ice Wall is a talent added in Shadowlands that allows you to place a wall of ice in a specific area for 15 seconds with 40% of your maximum health. This wall obstructs the line of sight and can be used to block enemies from running away or block a line of sight from a healer to a damage class. This could be good in arena or Rated Battlegrounds. This ability has a lot of creativity, and you can use it in many different ways.
Glass Cannon is a new PvP talent for Fire Mages in Dragonflight, which greatly increases Fireball and Scorch's damage but decreases maximum HP. This talent also seems quite volatile, and often Fire Mage's playstyle does not rely on Fireball and Scorch to deal significant damage.
Precognition is a new PvP talent introduced in Dragonflight. This allows for outplay potential from the caster when the enemy misses interrupts on you. This is strong for Fire Mage, however, this specialization has the most classes of schools to cast from compared to the other two.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 22 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Pre-patch.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 10 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands Season 1.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 DPS Log Rankings for Vault of the Incarnates: Day 1
- Mythic+ Tier List in Dragonflight Season 1 (Week 15)
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 22nd
- Class Set Updates and Clarifications in Patch 10.1: March 22nd
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 PTR Dev Notes: March 22nd
- Aberrus the Shadowed Crucible Raid Testing: March 24th
- Ebyssian and Emberthal Epilogue Cutscene in Patch 10.0.7
- How to Unlock Ancient Zul'Gurub Crafting in Patch 10.0.7