Fire Mage DPS Stat Priority — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Fire Mage. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2.
If you were looking for WotLK Classic content, please refer to our WotLK Classic Fire Mage stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Fire Mage
For Fire, the first couple of stats are all very close in value. The only real exception is Mastery, which is generally worse than all other stats. Critical Strike bounces around a lot depending on the talents picked and the gear used. Especially having Mage Fire 10.2 Class Set 2pc will greatly increase the importance of critical strike over most stats, tying it with haste.
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for both single-target and AoE:
- Critical Strike;
Haste is usually significantly better than all other secondary stats, apart from critical strike, which becomes very valuable as well when you have Mage Fire 10.2 Class Set 2pc. Intellect is generally always a significant amount better than all secondary stats, point for point. Additionally, items generally have a lot of Intellect, which makes item level very important. We encourage you to sim yourself, if possible, to determine what stats you should desire according to your current distribution, as this may change depending on your current values. This is because a deficiency of one stat will often cause it to become high in value relative to the others until you reach a "normalized" value. A sim can be very easily run by almost anyone using the Raidbots Stat Weights tool (see our Raidbots guide).
However, using purely stat weights is almost never the best way to go about gearing your character. On the gear page, we go in-depth in how to best gear your character for varying types of content.
Diminishing returns on secondary stats
Since Shadowlands, secondary stats have diminishing returns. This means as you get more points into one stat, it will take increasingly more rating to get 1% more stats. This reduction goes as follows:
- From 0 to 30%, there is no penalty.
- From 30% to 39%, there is a 10% penalty.
- From 39% to 47%, there is a 20% penalty.
- From 47% to 54%, there is a 30% penalty.
- From 54% to 66%, there is a 40% penalty.
- From 66% to 126%, there is a 50% penalty.
- You can not get more than 126% from gear rating.
Generally, you can ignore most of this, but it does again put emphasis on using simulations to determine what stats to use. We strongly advice you to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what gear to equip, as it automatically handles all of these complexities for you.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
The gems, enchants, and consumables you will use are directly derived from your stat priority, and you can find our advice on this topic in our dedicated page.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Fire Mage: Getting a Better Understanding
Intellect is your primary stat. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit, which in turn increases your chances to get instant-cast Pyroblasts.
Mastery, through Mastery: Ignite, increases the damage of your Mastery: Ignite DoT.
Haste influences the cast speed of your spells. It also influences the cooldown of Fire Blast and the speed at which Living Bomb detonates.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated suggested stats due to changes in 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Updated suggested stats for the Fire Mage rework of 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Updated suggested stats based on 10.1 changes.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7 and switched mastery to above versatility.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)