Fire Mage DPS Stat Priority — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Fire Mage. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Fire Mage stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Fire Mage
For Fire, the first couple of stats are all very close in value. The only real exceptions are Mastery and Critical Strike, which are significantly worse than the rest.
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for both single-target and AoE:
- Critical Strike.
The respective values of Critical Strike, Mastery, Haste, and Versatility fluctuate depending on gear, but they are very close. Intellect is generally always a significant amount better than all secondary stats, point for point. Additionally, items generally have a lot of Intellect, which makes item level very important. We encourage players to sim themselves if possible to determine what stats you should desire according to your current distribution, as this may change depending on your current values. This is because a deficiency of one stat will often cause it to become high in value, relative to the others, until you reach a "normalized" value. A sim can be very easily run by almost anyone using the Raidbots Stat Weights tool (see our Raidbots guide).
However, using purely stat weights is almost never the best way to go about gearing your character. On the gear page, we go in-depth in how to best gear your character for varying types of content.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
The gems, enchants, and consumables you will use are directly derived from your stat priority and you can find our advice on this topic in our dedicated page.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Fire Mage: Getting a Better Understanding
Intellect is your primary stat. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit, which in turn increases your chances to get instant-free Pyroblasts. This gives you the most reliable damage and smoothens out the rotation considerably, giving you the most consistent output. However, this does not automatically make it a good stat, just a consistent stat.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.
- 03 Jul. 2021: Combined AoE and single-target stats into one section.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 23 Dec. 2020: Updated stat weights slightly to stats more often correct for people with standard legendaries and trinkets.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch. Changed stat priority and descriptions for the new priority at level 60.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power