Fire Mage DPS Stat Priority — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Fire Mage. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage stat priority.
The Basics of Stats for Fire Mage
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for single-target:
- Critical Strike;
You will want to prioritize stats as follows for multiple targets:
- Mastery (by far);
- Critical Strike;
The respective values of Critical Strike, Mastery, Haste, and Versatility fluctuate depending on gear, but they are very close. Intellect is almost always behind all secondary stats, point for point. However, items generally have a lot of Intellect, which makes higher level items still very important. Mastery scales much better with additional targets. We encourage players to sim themselves if possible to determine what stats you should desire according to your current distribution, as this may change depending on your current values. This is because a deficiency of one stat will often cause it to become high in value, relative to the others, until you reach a "normalized" value. A sim can be very easily run by almost anyone using the Raidbots Stat Weights tool.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Fire Mage: Getting a Better Understanding
Intellect is your primary stat. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit, which in turn increases your chances to get instant-free Pyroblasts. This gives you the most reliable damage and smoothens out the rotation considerably, giving you the most consistent output.
Mastery, through Mastery: Ignite, increases the damage of your Ignite DoT. Mastery is reasonably close to Critical Strike in value, increasing with the number of targets present, eventually out-pacing Critical Strike on sustained AoE and cleave. Critical Strike and Mastery have good synergy, because Pyroblasts and Flamestrikes affected by Hot Streak cause double the normal ignite value, which is further increased by your Mastery.
Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.
- 13 Jan. 2020: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Rephrased wording of Intellect description.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Moved Intellect down and split stats into 2 sections, AoE and single-target.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 19 Aug. 2018: Updated for expected stats for a pre-raid character.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Windwalker Monk Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Demon Hunter Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Torghast Beta Update: July 15th
- All Gladiator Mounts Will Be Account-Wide in Shadowlands
- Choose Your Covenant in Shadowlands
- Mythic+ Dungeons on the Shadowlands Beta
- Shadowlands Beta Development Notes: July 15th
- Shadowlands Beta Now Live & No Keys Reminder