Frost Mage PvP Stat Priority, Gear, and Trinkets (Shadowlands / 9.2)
Choosing your gear carefully is important for your Frost Mage in PvP. We give you a stat priority to help you choose items with the correct stats, followed by advice on how to choose the rest of your gear and your trinkets to optimize your gameplay.
This page is part of our Frost Mage PvP Guide.
Stat Priority for Frost Mages in PvP
The stat priority for Frost Mage in PvP is as follows:
- Critical Strike;
Intellect is the best stat in all situations. Haste is the best secondary state. This stat will reduce your global cooldown and the cast times of important spells like Polymorph. Versatility increases the damage you deal and reduces the damage you take. This is why you should also be wearing gear with Versatility as well.
In general, Frost Mages want to get trinkets that line up well with Icy Veins. These trinkets can have a passive or on-use effect. The stat you want to be increasing is Intellect or Haste. The reason you want to increase Intellect is because it drastically increases your overall damage output. Haste, meanwhile, allows for quicker casts to maximize damage. For more information about Icy Veins and your rotation in PvP, please refer to our dedicated page. In addition, with the new Patch 9.1 changes to PvP gear, it will be extremely important to obtain as much of your gear as possible in PvP. With the new scaling, it will be the most powerful.
Below, you will find our current BiS list.
- Head: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Guise or Erudite Occultist's Hood
- Neck: Cosmic Gladiator's Necklace
- Shoulders: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Mantle or Erudite Occultist's Mantle
- Cloak: Cosmic Gladiator's Drape
- Chest: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Robe
- Wrists: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Armbands
- Hands: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Gloves
- Waist: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Cord
- Legs: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Leggings or Slick Ice
- Feet: Cosmic Gladiator's Silk Treads
- Ring 1: Cosmic Gladiator's Ring
- Ring 2: Stitchflesh's Misplaced Signet or Disciplinary Command.
- Weapon: Cosmic Gladiator's Vesper
Tier Sets for Frost Mage
Ideally, you should be to be fully equipped in Conquest gear. At the time of updating this guide, the Tier Set pieces do not have great stat weights on them, and the 2-set bonus is strong in PvP combat. The Frost Mage 2-Piece bonus gives your spells a 25% chance to call down a Comet Storm every 20 seconds, and the Frost Mage 4-Piece bonus makes enemies hit by Comet Storm take 2% increased damage from Frost Spells up to 10%. This allows a lot of additional damage to hit enemy targets, however Comet Storm typically is quite weak and does not do significant damage by itself. The tier set bonuses are strong, but not worth sacrificing significant amounts of Haste and Versatility for them. If you wish to use them, attempt to use the pieces that have Haste and Versatility first, and then Haste or Versatility secondly. Try to avoid pieces with Critical Strike and Mastery.
How to Acquire Tier Sets
There are many ways to get the tier set pieces, but the ones you'll want to get are the ones through PvP activities, as they come with the +13 item level increase in PvP combat. In order to acquire these tier sets, you need to get them in Great Vault or eventually create them from Creation Catalyst.
Note: It is important to be wearing 2 PvP trinkets. This will give you a Intellect and Stamina boost that will increase your overall damage and increase your health pool.
Cosmic Gladiator's Medallion is typically 1 of 2 trinkets to have equipped at all times. This allows you to remove any crowd control on yourself. You will normally use this when you are stuck in crowd control and in danger of dying. Note, if you play a Human, Cosmic Gladiator's Relentless Brooch is a better option.
Cosmic Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity gives you Critical Strike and has a 1-minute cooldown that increases your primary stat. This is great to use right before you activate a powerful cooldown.
Cosmic Gladiator's Emblem increases your maximum health when used. This gives you an additional defensive when you think a team will be attacking you often.
Cosmic Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity increases your Haste and has a chance to proc your primary stat. This is an overall strong trinket, as the stat will proc often throughout an arena match.
Cosmic Gladiator's Devouring Malediction is Patch 9.2's new version of Unchained Gladiator's Shackles, however, the new malediction requires you to drain absorption to unleash it in a cone in front of you. This will be good into classes such as Warlock with Dark Pact.
Cosmic Gladiator's Eternal Aegis is another defensive trinket, and provides strong defense against magic damage. Consider this trinket against heavy magic damage-dealing compositions
Cosmic Gladiator's Resonator is a pure damage trinket that acts similar to a grenade. It does a significant amount of damage, however at the time of writing this guide, this trinket has not been tested and therefore may not be viable.
Cosmic Gladiator's Echoing Resolve is another new trinket, that works in the opposite way of Cosmic Gladiator's Relentless Brooch. Instead of decreasing time within CC, it increases it, however once affected, the player is protected from 1 spell interruption or CC effect for 15 seconds. Again, this trinket has not been tested and could end up being a strong choice for being immune to 1 CC ability.
Cosmic Gladiator's Fastidious Resolve is the final new trinket in 9.2. With a 3-minute cooldown, players are able to activate this trinket to become immune to 2 interruption or CC effects for 15 seconds. This trinket could be very strong in compositions where it is important to not get CC'd or potentially even use this trinket defensively before an enemy wants to Crowd Control your team.
Gems and Enchants
Here are the best enchants for a Frost Mage:
- Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Eternal Intellect
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Soul Vitality
- Chest: Enchant Chest - Eternal Stats
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Tenet of Versatility
- Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Celestial Guidance
- 28 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 17 Nov. 2021: Page reviewed for Patch 9.1.5.
- 04 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1 of Shadowlands.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 23 Dec. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes