Warning It appears that you may be blocking the ads, and we are fine with it (read more here). That said, it would really be awesome if you decided to whitelist our website or make a donation :) You can also send us Bitcoins (1DEkropiHPWBmfJxogFaXQscfzhmdpTti4)!

Frost Mage DPS Stat Priority (Legion 7.3.5)

Last updated on Nov 25, 2017 at 14:45 by Furty 312 comments

Table of Contents

General Information

On this page, we explain what the best statistics are for Frost Mages in World of Warcraft Legion 7.3.5, how the class benefits from each of them.

The statistics priority is important as it influences itemisation choices (gear, enchants, and gems).

The other pages of our Frost Mage guide can be accessed from the table of contents on the right.

About Our Author and Reviewer

This guide has been written by Furty, who has an illustrious history in the World of Warcraft raiding scene and race for World First. He has been a member of guilds such as Serenity, Midwinter, and many more, and is currently raiding in Future. He plays most classes at the highest level. You can follow him on Twitter and watch him play on Twitch.

This guide has been reviewed and approved by Kuni, one of the best Frost Mages in the world, who raids in Midnight Sanctuary.

1. Basics for Frost Mage

The stat priority for a Frost Mage is:

  1. Versatility = Haste;
  2. Critical Strike (to ~30%);*
  3. Intellect;
  4. Mastery;
  5. Critical Strike (after ~30%).

*It is no longer advised to hard stack Critical Strike until the Shatter Cap at 33.34%. In Tier 21 it is generally safer to hedge your bets after a healthy amount of Critical Strike is obtained, playing the probabilities that most or all of your Ice Lance Icon Ice Lances will Critically Strike regardless of being under Shatter Cap. Additionally, the value of Critical Strike consistently devalues itself the closer the player comes to Shatter Cap. We advise sitting around ~30% Critical Strike, however, a few percentage points in either direction will not have major effect.

These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using Simulation Craft.

1.1. Stat Weights for Frost Mage

Stat weights are calculated for a single target and will vary from player to player depending on your item level and current stat distribution. These have been provided as a rough guideline to help players determine upgrades with less hassle. This stat weights were constructed for a player entering Tier 21 Heroic who already has ~30% Critical Strike.

  1. Versatility: 1.46
  2. Haste: 1.44
  3. Intellect: 1.00
  4. Mastery: 0.94
  5. Critical Strike: 0.86

2. Frost Mage: Getting a Better Understanding

2.1. Statistics Explanations

Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.

Versatility is a flat-out damage done increase and damage taken reduction.

Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit. Remember that your chance to critical hit with Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance (always cast with Fingers of Frost Icon Fingers of Frost or Winter's Chill up) is increased by Shatter Icon Shatter, a Frost-specific passive ability. It also has many interactions with your Artifact weapon that make it worth stacking, even past shattercap.

Mastery: Icicles Icon Mastery: Icicles causes Frostbolt Icon Frostbolt casts to store an Icicle, which deals a percentage of the damage done when unleashed. Icicles are unleashed passively by Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance casts, or actively using Glacial Spike Icon Glacial Spike (if talented). Mastery: Icicles Icon Mastery: Icicles also increases the damage of your Water Elemental.

Haste decreases the cast time of your spells. In particular, decreasing the cast time of Frostbolt Icon Frostbolt is very beneficial, because it means that you can cast Frostbolt more often, increasing your chances to get procs of Fingers of Frost Icon Fingers of Frost and the rate at which you generate Icicles. Haste also lowers your base Global Cooldown as well as the cooldown of Blizzard Icon Blizzard. Haste also increases the cast speed of your Water Elemental.

2.2. How Exactly Mastery: Icicles Work

  • One Icicle is produced for each Frostbolt Icon Frostbolt cast.
  • You can have a maximum of five Icicles.
  • Generating a sixth Icicle will automatically fire the oldest one.
  • Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance will rapidly fire all currently held Icicles, and any Icicle generated before that barrage ends, at the target.
  • They disappear after 60 seconds, if you do spend them or do not gain new ones.

2.2.1. Glacial Spike

Mastery: Icicles Icon Mastery: Icicles function a little different when you are playing with the Glacial Spike Icon Glacial Spike talent.

  • Glacial Spike Icon Glacial Spike requires 5 Icicles to cast, and consumes all 5 Icicles.
  • Icicles themselves still cannot crit, but a critical strike with Frostbolt or Frostfire Bolt will generate a larger Icicle. However, Glacial Spike can crit, which is a sum total of the Glacial Spike damage and the damage of all 5 Icicles. The significance of this is that when you are playing with Glacial Spike talented, your Icicles get a dual benefit from Critical Strike; larger Icicle damage via Frostbolt Icon Frostbolt crits, and the potential for Glacial Spike to crit as well.

2.3. Critical Strike Cap

Because of Shatter Icon Shatter, it is possible to have more than a 100% chance to critically strike with Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance (when Fingers of Frost Icon Fingers of Frost is up). To obtain your critical strike chance against frozen targets, Shatter multiplies your critical strike chance by 1.5 and adds 50%. At 20% critical strike chance, for example, your chance to critically hit frozen targets is 80% (20% x 1.5 + 50%).

3. ChangeLog

  • 25 Nov. 2017: Updated stat priority and weights for Antorus.
  • 28 Aug. 2017: No changes needed for Patch 7.3.
  • 12 Jun. 2017: Page reviewed and deemed updated for 7.2.5.
  • 27 Mar. 2017: No changes needed for Patch 7.2.
  • 02 Mar. 2017: Modified stat priority to include Shatter cap & re-added stat weights!
  • 09 Jan. 2017: Stat priority remains the same but we removed the stat weights for now. We will re-add them once things stabilise.
  • 02 Sep. 2016: Swapped Haste and Critical Strike in the stat priority, following new simulations.
  • 29 Aug. 2016: Updated for Legion's launch.
  • 18 Jul. 2016: Updated for the Legion pre-patch.
+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
Force desktop version
Force mobile version