Frost Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Frost Mage gear and best in slot.
Best in Slot for Frost Mage
It is difficult to define a best in slot list for Frost, as it is heavily dependent on progression level and gear available to you. You cannot simply use the lower tier gear of any given best in slot list, as stat weights will then shift and you will likely be missing certain breakpoints.
Feel free to check SimulationCraft's Frost profile for a maxed out Mythic best in slot list, but be warned that unless you have access to all of those pieces, this is not the best you, personally, can get.
Upgrading Mythic+ Gear with Valor
Patch 9.0.5 has brought the return of Valor. This can be used to increase the item level of any gear that drops from Mythic+ dungeons or the dungeon reward from the weekly chest up to 278, if you have cleared all dungeons at +15 in time. This can be quite a boon as there are a number of dungeon trinkets that out-DPS non-Mythic raid trinkets.
Domination Shards for Frost Mage
Domination Shards have been disabled in relevant content as of 9.2. They exist only for the Maw, Korthia, and Torghast. The power gains from other pieces of gear will likely outshine most of them except for the highest reaches of Torghast, but it remains up to you if you wish to keep a piece of gear for such trivial content.
Tier Gear for Frost Mage in 9.2
Frost Mage 2-Piece drops Comet Storm on your current target, same as if you had cast it, delay and all. Given the above change, this means that we will be firing off random Comet Storm casts, and trying to make sure that as much of it is Shattered as possible. What this ends up doing to our rotation is making sure you pay attention to your character's animation, looking for the blue circular aura of it being cast, and adjusting your Shatter combo cast order to make sure the comets hit inside the window.
If this effect happens while Winter's Chill is on the target, you need to not double cast Ice Lance into it, you need to instead Ice Lance > Frostbolt > Ice Lance, giving the second Ice Lance enough of a delay via the Frostbolt cast for the comets to finish landing on the target. Ice Lance is still faster than Frostbolt, and should impact before it.
There is no way to actually track this effect, however. The trigger doesn't show up in the Combat Log, and auras will not be able to accurately track this. Gaming this effect for extra Shatters will be about a 3% increase, so it is worth doing, but it will demand a fair bit of attention for a player-based animation.
Crafting Tier Gear and the Creation Catalyst
Blizzard has let us craft any piece of gear into the corresponding slot's Tier piece. This is done via Creation Catalyst. This will allow non-Mythic raiders to get Tier pieces at higher item levels if they convert their weekly Mythic+ pieces. It also acts as a failsafe for incredible bad luck.
Upgrading in this way maintains any additions the piece may have. It will maintain Tertiary stats, sockets, and upgradability via Conquest or Valor.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots' Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Trinket Notes for Frost Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets from various sources, it is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
Single Target Trinket Simulations
AoE/Cleave with Prioritized Single Target
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Jan. 2022: Updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 13 Jul. 2021: The recommended Domination set bonus is indeed Unholy.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added a note about Valor points.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch. Added information about Ve'nari's ability to add sockets to gear.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Patch 9.2.5 Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Weeks 3 and 4
- Amazon Twitch Prime Rewards for WoW: Jewel of the Firelord
- Fourth Encrypted Dragonflight Alpha Build on WoW Dev Branch
- Blizzard Entertainment Acquires Spellbreak Development Studio Proletariat
- Accepting Cross-Faction Invites Turns You Hostile to Everyone in PvP Brawls and Battlegrounds
- Level 70 Character Boost Coming in Wrath Classic?
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Beta Update 0.9.2
- Patch 9.2.5 Hotfixes: June 28th