Frost Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic DPS Mage gear and best in slot.
Best in Slot for Frost Mage
Corruptions and Corrupted Items
For more information about the best Corruptions and corrupted items you can get, please refer to our dedicated page.
Azerite Gear for Frost Mage
Since Azerite gear cannot be Corrupted, below are charts of relative strengths for the three Azerite slots. The key Azerite Trait to look for on your gear is Flash Freeze in most scenarios. Azerite gear can drop from loads of content, like World Quests, Warfronts, PvP, and some of the highest non-raid pieces can be bought using a currency from your weekly Mythic+ chest, so you should try to do all possible content. Below we have listed some good items to look for based on how to obtain them and the Azerite Traits they have on them. The listed items are from all locations, including raids, dungeons, and world quests.
Adding Sockets to Gear
Patch 8.3 added the Gouged Eye of N'Zoth as a reward from Corrupted Mementos, after you have finished the We Have the Technology achievement. Once finished, you should get a Gouged Eye about once every two weeks, assuming you are doing all of your Horrific Visions with 5 masks active. Your best candidate would be a very powerful Corrupted item, or trinket.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn , select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Trinket Notes for Frost Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets from various sources, it is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
Single Target Trinket Simulations
AoE/Cleave with Prioritized Single Target
- 03 Apr. 2020: Added a note on BiS being impossible to compile.
- 01 Apr. 2020: Split Corruption to its own page.
- 28 Jan. 2020: Added notes about how Frost can escape Corruption's negative effects.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Added information about Corrupted effects, as well as the item to add sockets.
- 12 Jul. 2019: Added a Benthic belt option.
- 11 Jul. 2019: Punchcards did indeed get nerfed, removed warning about that.
- 08 Jul. 2019: Added Benthic and Mechagon gear due to relevance to raid equipment.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no major changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 03 Sep. 2018: Updated for Uldir launch and Bloodmallet charts.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Mists of Pandaria Timewalking Guide (July 14th - July 21st)
- Zappy Boy Nickname Now Cannon
- Eye of the Jailer Mechanic in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through July 17th
- Pre-expansion Event Details, Time in the Shadowlands, Major Lore Implications, Renown Catch-up: Full Bellular Interview
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: July 13th
- Horrific Visions Nerfs Coming July 14th/15th
- Every Man For Himself Human Racial Renamed to Will to Survive in Shadowlands