Frost Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Frost Mage in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Frost Mage gear and best in slot.
Best in Slot for Frost Mage
It is difficult to define a best in slot list for Frost, as it is heavily dependent on progression level and gear available to you. You cannot simply use the lower tier gear of any given best in slot list, as stat weights will then shift and you will likely be missing certain breakpoints.
Feel free to check SimulationCraft's Frost profile for a maxed out Mythic best in slot list, but be warned that unless you have access to all of those pieces, this is not the best you, personally, can get.
Adding Sockets to Gear
The Archivist's Codex sells Alloy-Warping Facetor at Rank 6 reputation for 5000 Catalogued Research. This will allow you to add a socket to helms, necks, bracers, belts, or rings that do not already have sockets.
Upgrading Mythic+ Gear with Valor
Patch 9.0.5 has brought the return of Valor. This can be used to increase the item level of any gear that drops from Mythic+ dungeons or the dungeon reward from the weekly chest up to 246, if you have cleared all dungeons at +15 in time. This can be quite a boon as there are a number of dungeon trinkets that out-DPS non-Mythic raid trinkets.
Domination Shards for Frost Mage
If you are uncertain as to what Domination Shards are and the functions they have in Patch 9.1, you should check out the basic page below, which contains all of the information you need on the system itself.
Given there are five slots to fill, and a three-piece set bonus, you should be using three of one type, and the two DPS Shards of the other two types.
In all scenarios, the mandatory three will be Shard of Dyz, Shard of Cor, and Shard of Bek. These three are the DPS options of the different types. In a raid environment, Unholy should be the set bonus.
Outside of raid, the Frost types seem to be incredibly powerful for us. Shard of Tel will proc continually on your team in M+ and Shard of Kyr acts as a free half-strength Ice Barrier over the same 25 seconds as Ice Barrier's cooldown. Given the other options of passive Leech, Speed, a proc on friendly spells, and increased Health and healing taken, this seems to be the most useful set when in areas without the set bonus active.
The easiest way, and also the method we suggest, to compare multiple items is to use Raidbots' Top Gear. Here you can input an export from the Simcraft AddOn, select the items to compare, and it will find out which of the items are best.
Trinket Notes for Frost Mage
Due to the prevalence of high item level trinkets from various sources, it is always best to use Raidbots Top Gear to determine what your optimal trinkets are.
Single Target Trinket Simulations
AoE/Cleave with Prioritized Single Target
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 13 Jul. 2021: The recommended Domination set bonus is indeed Unholy.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added a note about Valor points.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch. Added information about Ve'nari's ability to add sockets to gear.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- How to Upgrade Legendaries to Rank 7 in Patch 9.2
- Gluttonous Gardbrace Makes You Eat Food Faster in Patch 9.2
- Everything New in Patch 9.2 Build 41827
- Everything You Need to Know About Wearing 2 Legendaries At Once in Patch 9.2
- Zereth Mortis Catch-Up Gear in Patch 9.2
- Encrypted Files Hint at Potential Deluxe Edition Rewards for WoW's Upcoming Expansion
- Class Tier List for Mythic+ in Patch 9.1.5 (Week #11)
- Interesting Loot from the Jailer in Patch 9.2