Shadowmoon Burial Grounds Dungeon Guide: Location, Boss Strategies, Trash, and Loot
Welcome to our guide to the Shadowmoon Burial Grounds dungeon in Season 1 of the Dragonflight World of Warcraft expansion. This guide will cover everything you need to know about the dungeon, including how to get to it, its layout, the trash and boss mechanics within, and its loot.
Getting into Shadowmoon Burial Grounds
Shadowmoon Burial Grounds is a level 70 dungeon located on the west coast of - Shadowmoon Valley, Draenor. The nearest flight point for Alliance and Horde players is Akeeta's Hovel, Shadowmoon Valley. Upon landing, head further to the east until you uncover the dungeon's entrance.
This guide will focus on an extensive overview of the dungeon, providing vital information to complete it on Mythic and Mythic Keystone difficulty. We will cover all 4 boss fights supported by the most notable trash enemies in the dungeon and their important abilities. If you would like to learn about the other Dragonflight Dungeons or the Mythic+ season instead; please see our overviews linked below. Otherwise, without further ado, let us begin!
Crypt of the Ancients and Sadana Bloodfury
Notable Trash Before Sadana Bloodfury
Luckily for you, Shadowmoon Burial Grounds is one of the most straightforward dungeons in this season. There are no dungeon buffs and no special events you must complete to time this key. Once you exit from the first room of The Crypt of the Ancients (upon defeating the first 3 mobs), you can choose to go either left or right; both ways share the same difficulty. Here is what you should know about the trash mobs in this area:
- Shadowmoon Bone-Mender is going to be the most dangerous caster in the first area of the dungeon. Interrupts its heal effect - Shadow Mend at all costs while doing your best to stop as many incoming Shadow Bolts as possible.
- Reanimated Ritual Bones will do mostly tank damage with his auto-attacks and Void Slash.
- Beware of Void Spawn and its Void Pulse cast, you cannot out-range the AoE damage, but you can line of sight it. In addition, do your best to sidestep any Void Eruptions on the ground projectiles.
- When Defiled Spirit teleports behind you, sidestep its Cry of Anguish cast.
- Shadowmoon Loyalist does not do anything besides auto-attacks. They will occasionally cast Sinister Focus buff; use your Purge effects to remove it.
Sadana Bloodfury Boss Guide
- Avoid the Daggerfall cast at all costs.
- Use defensive when appropriate during Whispers of the Dark Star channel cast, it will do AoE damage to everyone!
- When Sadana Bloodfury spawns a spirit through Dark Communion, focus it immediately. Stun, slow, immobilize and knockback effects also work on the mob. If the boss devours the spirit, it will heal her for 10% of her health and give her 20% extra damage for 20 sec.
- When Sadana Bloodfury casts Dark Eclipse, enter in one of the Lunar Purity runes on the ground (there are a bunch of them in the inner circle of the boss) to reduce the damage from it by 80%. Failing to do so might be lethal, depending on the key level.
- Beware of Deathspike from the boss, be ready to use active mitigation if your health drops low.
- Make sure there is a good distance between you and the spirit spawning from Dark Communion.
- Use healing cooldowns when Whispers of the Dark Star channel is happening.
- Top up your party members after the Dark Eclipse cast.
Whispering Hollows and Nhallish
Notable Trash Before Nhallish
Upon defeating Sadana Bloodfury, continue straight into the Whispering Hollows zone, where you will find the second boss of the dungeon Nhallish. You will find one of the most challenging trash mobs throughout this area. Here is what you should know about them:
- Shadowmoon Dominator is going to be one of the caster mobs that you must pay attention to simply because of their Domination ability. Since it is considered a charm effect, you can stop it with any cast or use a utility like Shaman's Tremor Totem to completely negate the effect. In addition, interrupt Rending Voidlash channel cast as soon as you see it.
- Subjugated Soul is a harmless mob that only does auto-attacks to your tank.
- Once you engage Shadowmoon Exhumer, he will spawn 2 Exhumed Spirits. First, it is crucial to interrupt Shadowmoon Exhumer's Void Bolt as it does high single-target damage. And second, use Purge/Dispel effects to remove the shield of the Exhumed Spirits, followed by stopping their Death Blast cast.
Nhallish Boss Guide
Before you engage Nhallish, be aware that there are shadowy tombs on the ground that, upon stepping on them, you will spawn Exhumed Spirits. Avoid them at all costs, especially during the boss fight.
- When the boss is casting Planar Shift, use any movement speed abilities to get away from the Void Vortex as quickly as you can.
- During the Soul Steal phase of Nhallish, quickly defeat your soul to get Returned Soul buff for 20 sec. Remember, the longer it takes to kill your soul, the more damage you will take from Soul Shred.
- Avoid the shadow ground projectiles coming from Void Devastation.
- Aim the Void Blast frontal away from your team.
- Top up your party when the Soul Steal phase is over.
Pools of Reflection and Bonemaw
Notable Trash Before Bonemaw
There are not many new trash mobs in this area outside of the already familiar Shadowmooni Dominator and Shadowmoon Exhumer, you are going to face Monstrous Corpse Spider, Plagued Bat and Carrion Worm. Here is what you should know about them:
- Interrupt the Necrotic Burst ability from Monstrous Corpse Spider, the damage-over-time Disease effect will go on everyone from your party if it is not stopped!
- Beware of Plagued Bat and its Plague Spit, use your interrupts to stop it.
- Once you get closer to the bridge that leads to Bonemaw, there will be 2 Carrion Worms waiting for you, one located at the beginning and on at the end of the bridge. Both of them will disappear once they reach 20% health, they will cast their uninterruptible spell Fetid Spit on random targets and have a frontal for you to avoid — Body Slam.
Bonemaw Boss Guide
Throughout the fight, the 2 Carrion Worms that you fought previously on the bridge will spawn. You can either ignore them and finish the boss fight or switch to them; remember that they will be spread around the platform where the boss is. More information about the fight is down below:
- Avoid the Bonemaw's Body Slam when you see it.
- When the boss is casting Inhale, stay under the Corpse Breath ground puddles, they will prevent you from being pulled towards Bonemaw. You will take initial damage and spit off the platform if you get caught in his Inhale cast.
- If possible, cleave all Bonemaw and Carrion Worms when they spawn. This is mostly available to ranged damage dealers; if you are a melee, focus on one of them.
- Make sure you are in a healthy state when the boss is casting Fetid Spit on you.
- Top up your party once they stay in the Corpse Breath when Inhale is happening. If anyone is accidentally caught in the cast, spot heal them to prevent them from sure death.
Altar of Shadow and Ner'zhul
Ner'zhul Boss Guide
Since there are not any new mobs leading toward the final boss of the dungeon Ner'zhul, we are just going to mention that there is 2 pack of mobs before the boss. The first being a combination of Plagued Bat and Monstrous Corpse Spider and second one 2 Void Spawns.
- Run away from the Omen of Death spawn. The damage varies depending on the proximity of your position. In addition, it will always go on the furthest target (or mostly on ranged players), so you can deliberately "bait" it near the edge of the area.
- Dodge the Malevolence frontal cast.
- Pre-assigned one of the skeletons before the Ritual of Bones cast, this way, you will save time and avoid confusion.
- Move Ner'zhul away from the Omen of Death ground eruption.
- Once the boss casts Ritual of Bones, move Ner'zhul to the pre-assigned skeletons. This way, you will enable your DPS players to cleave both targets and speed up the fight.
- During the Omen of Death area effect, top up the health of your party members.
- If any of the players cross the threshold of the marching skeletons during the Ritual of Bones cast, they will take a heavy ticking damage-over-time effect, which you must heal to prevent them from dying.
Shadowmoon Burial Grounds Loot Table
|Off-Hand||Sadana's Grisly Visage||Crit/Haste|
|Polearm||Nhallish's Bloody Polearm||Str, Crit/Mastery|
|Cloth Chest||Robes of Arcane Mystery||Crit/Haste|
|Mail Chest||Sharpeye Chestguard||Crit/Haste|
|Cloth Wrist||Bracers of Arcane Mystery||Crit/Haste|
|Plate Wrist||Goldsteel Bindings||Haste/Vers|
|Mail Wrist||Sharpeye Bracers||Crit/Haste|
|Plate Hands||Goldsteel Gloves||Haste/Crit|
|Leather Waist||Belt of Burning Focus||Haste/Crit|
|Trinket||Bonemaw's Big Toe||Str|
|Staff||Portal-Ripper's Staff||Int, Haste/Crit|
|Dagger||Ner'zhul's Ritual Blade||Haste/Mastery|
|Plate Head||Goldsteel Greathelm||Crit/Vers|
|Cloth Head||Hood of Arcane Mystery||Crit/Mastery|
|Leather Feet||Boots of Burning Focus||Crit/Mastery|
|Cloth Feet||Sandals of Arcane Mystery||Crit/Mastery|
|Mail Feet||Sharpeye Greaves||Crit/Haste|
Shadowmoon Burial Grounds Achievements
There are 8 total achievements to obtain in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds:
|Shadowmoon Burial Grounds||Defeat Ner'zhul in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds.|
|Heroic: Shadowmoon Burial Grounds||Defeat Ner'zhul in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds on Heroic difficulty.|
|Mythic: Shadowmoon Burial Grounds||Defeat Ner'zhul in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds on Mythic difficulty.|
|Heroic: Shadowmoon Burial Grounds Guild Run||Defeat Ner'zhul in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds on Heroic difficulty while in a guild group.|
|Keystone Hero: Shadowmoon Burial Grounds||Complete Shadowmoon Burial Grounds at Mythic Level 20 or higher, within the time limit.|
|Icky Ichors||Defeat Bonemaw after having fed him 25 Corpse Skitterlings in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds on Heroic difficulty.|
|Souls of the Lost||Defeat Ner'zhul after slaying 2 Ritual of Bones skeletons within 5 seconds of each other in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds on Heroic difficulty.|
|Whats Your Sign?||Defeat Sadana Bloodfury while only having the runes that correspond to her active lunar cycle lit in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds on Heroic difficulty.|
- 19 Dec. 2022: Guide added.
- Over 167K Wrath Classic Accounts Suspended
- Wrath Classic Patch 3.4.2 PTR Development Notes: June 9th
- A Preview of Dynamic Eye Glare in Patch 10.1.5
- An Overview of All Mounts from Time Rifts in Patch 10.1.5
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 Hotfixes, June 9th
- New Trading Post Sets Added in Patch 10.1.5 Build 49908
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 Hotfixes, June 8th
- Mythic+ Tier List in Dragonflight Season 2 (Week 5)