Windwalker Monk DPS Spec, Builds, and Talents — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Windwalker Monk in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
Talent Choices for Windwalker Monk
|15||✓ Eye of the Tiger||✓ Chi Wave||✓ Chi Burst|
|30||✓ Celerity||✓ Chi Torpedo||✓ Tiger's Lust|
|45||✓ Ascension||✓ Fist of the White Tiger||✗ Energizing Elixir|
|60||? Tiger Tail Sweep||✓ Good Karma||? Ring of Peace|
|75||? Inner Strength||? Diffuse Magic||? Dampen Harm|
|90||✓ Hit Combo||✗ Rushing Jade Wind||✓ Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger|
|100||✗ Spiritual Focus||✓ Whirling Dragon Punch||✗ Serenity|
Talents can be freely changed when out of combat and in a rested XP area (such as an inn or a capital city). Moreover, Tome of the Tranquil Mind and Codex of the Tranquil Mind can be used to temporarily allow players to change talents anywhere, as long as they are out of combat.
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|✔ Eye of the Tiger||✔ Chi Wave||✔ Chi Burst|
- Eye of the Tiger causes Tiger Palm to also apply both a buff (to yourself) and a debuff (to the target) called Eye of the Tiger. On you, it is an 8-second HoT, while on the target it is an 8-second DoT (dealing Nature damage). The DoT may only be active on one target at a time.
- Chi Wave is an active ability with a 15-second cooldown. It is essentially a chain-heal that bounces to the 7 nearest targets (within 25 yards). The bounces target allies and enemies alternatively. Each target that the wave bounces to is healed or damaged (Nature damage), depending on their alignment. The healing portion of Chi Wave is a smart heal, in the sense that it prefers healing low health players.
- Chi Burst is an active ability with a 30-second cooldown. It heals all friendly targets, and damages all hostile targets in a 40-yard line in front of you. It grants 1 Chi per enemy hit, up to 2 Chi.
Tier 2 (Level 30) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|✔ Celerity||✔ Chi Torpedo||✔ Tiger's Lust|
- Celerity passively increases the number of charges of Roll by 1, and reduces its cooldown by 5 seconds.
- Chi Torpedo replaces Roll. It causes you to roll a moderate distance in front of you (further than Roll), increasing your movement speed by 30% for 10 seconds. This effect stacks up to 2 times.
- Tiger's Lust is an active ability with a 30-second cooldown, which removes all roots and snares from the target, and grants them 70% increased movement speed for 6 seconds. It can be used either on yourself or on an ally.
In this tier that revolves around movement, the choice depends on your preference and on the requirements of the encounter.
All three options fill different needs and preferences. Due to the large amount of mobility available to Monk specialisation, you can usually use any of the talents.
Tiger's Lust can be used on allies which can be a life-saver for some slower specialisation. It will also occasionally remove some slow debuffs applied during encounters, linked to other effects.
Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|✔ Ascension||✔ Fist of the White Tiger||✘ Energizing Elixir|
- Energizing Elixir is an active ability with a 1-minute cooldown. It instantly restores all of your Energy and Chi.
- Ascension increases your maximum Chi by 1 and your Energy regeneration by 10%. It is not worth using in any scenario currently.
- Fist of the White Tiger gives you a strong Chi builder with a good damage component.
Fist of the White Tiger and Ascension are the strongest choices in this row for all situations. Fist of the White Tiger is by default the best option, however with the Azerite Essence Conflict and Strife, your resource management becomes harder and Ascension becomes the better option.
Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|? Tiger Tail Sweep||✔ Good Karma||? Ring of Peace|
- Tiger Tail Sweep reduces the cooldown and improves the range of Leg Sweep.
- Good Karma makes any damage prevented by Touch of Karma also heal you for the same amount.
- Ring of Peace places a ring on the ground which will knock away any enemy inside of it or entering it. This is occasionally game breaking in some encounters.
Only Good Karma affects your personal survivability. However, since it does not provide output anymore, you can use both other options in encounters that benefit from the added crowd control.
Tier 5 (Level 75) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|? Inner Strength||? Diffuse Magic||? Dampen Harm|
- Inner Strength reduces the damage you take for a few seconds whenever you spend Chi. This will overall increase your effective health throughout the fight, reduce the healing you will require and decrease the chances of getting killed instantly in high level dungeon runs.
- Diffuse Magic reduces any magical damage you take.
- Dampen Harm reduces physical damage you take based on how large each hit is.
None of the talents in this row will affect your performance. You will use all three of them in different circumstances. By default, if you do not know what sort of damage you will be facing, or when you will use defensives, pick Inner Strength until you get a better idea.
As Diffuse Magic acts as a personal dispel, it can very often be game changing in raid or dungeon encounters. Also, this can damage your group if it is used at the wrong time. Be aware of its effects.
Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|✔ Hit Combo||✘ Rushing Jade Wind||✔ Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger|
- Rushing Jade Wind deals damage over 6 seconds at the cost of one Chi. It is a solid option for AoE encounters.
- Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger is an active ability with a 2-minute cooldown. It summons a pet, Xuen, for 20 seconds. The pet control bar allows you to choose what Xuen will do, although by default he attacks your primary target and uses Crackling Tiger Lightning every second to deal damage to 3 enemies within 10 yards.
- Hit Combo causes each successive attack that triggers Mastery: Combo Strikes grants 1% increased damage, stacking up to 6 times. The buff lasts for 10 seconds, with each new application refreshing its duration. However, the buff fades immediately when you use a series of attacks that would not trigger Combo Strikes (so, using the same attack twice in a row).
We recommend Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger for single-target focused content, and Hit Combo for any content. Both are close in value for single-target and cleave encounters, therefore you can easily default to Hit Combo which is likely to be the best choice in any encounter.
It is worth noting that Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger is good when fights have downtime or players have to deal with mechanics rather than focus on damage. Therefore, it is likely to outperform Hit Combo in situations where they theoretically should be even. This will not be reflected in simulations.
Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents for Windwalker Monks
|✘ Spiritual Focus||✔ Whirling Dragon Punch||✘ Serenity|
- Spiritual Focus reduces the cooldown on Storm, Earth, and Fire whenever you spend Chi.
- Whirling Dragon Punch is an active ability with a 24-second cooldown. It deals damage to all nearby enemies, but it can only be used while both Fists of Fury and Rising Sun Kick are on cooldown.
- Serenity is an active ability with a 90-second cooldown. For 12 seconds, you deal 20% increased damage (and your healing is also increased by 20%). Moreover, all abilities that cost Chi are free of cost and have a 50% reduced cooldown. Currently, it also makes both Fist of the White Tiger and Rushing Jade Wind free.
Whirling Dragon Punch is the default talent used in every scenario.
Spiritual Focus will reduce the cooldown on Storm, Earth, and Fire by around 22 seconds, depending on your haste and the situation. This does not make it compete on a single target with the alternatives, however, this may occasionally be an exception in encounters where burst cooldowns are valued much more than usual.
PvP Talents (War Mode)
In Battle for Azeroth, there will be the option to go into "War Mode". Enabling War Mode provides the following benefits:
- PvP talents enabled in the outdoor world.
- 10% increase in World Quest rewards at maximum level.
- 10% more experience gained while leveling.
- Earn Conquest Points which can reward gear every week.
With the benefits of enabling War Mode for leveling and PvE content, it is recommended to enable the feature to maximize your leveling and rewards at maximum level. However, you will make yourself available for open world PvP, and the possibility to be "ganked" while leveling or doing World Quests exists.
Windwalker Monk War Mode Talents
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Windwalker Monk-specific PvE talents.
General PvP Talents
- Adaptation is likely your most passive choice since it will automatically remove loss of control effects over 5 seconds. It is recommended for leveling to take this PvP talent.
- Gladiator's Medallion is an on-use ability that removes all movement impairing effects and all loss of control effects.
- Relentless is also a passive ability but it does not automatically remove crowd control abilities but instead reduces the duration.
Windwalker Monk PvP Talents
- Wind Waker grants you and allies affected by Windwalking an effect that makes them immune to slow and snare effects once every 30 seconds.
- Reverse Harm is an instant heal of decent power, occurring every 10 seconds on you or a nearby ally. Additionally, it hits enemies within 5 yards for the same amount.
- Fortifying Brew increases your maximum health by 20% and reduces incoming damage by 20% for 15 seconds.
- Disabling Reach increases the range of your Disable to 10 yards.
- Alpha Tiger grants you 30% Haste upon attacking a new target with Tiger Palm. This can happen once every 30 seconds per target.
- Grapple Weapon grants you an additional spell which prevents your target from using their weapons for 6 seconds.
- Turbo Fists causes Fists of Fury to deal full damage to all targets hit and reduce their movement speed by 90%. It additionally grants you 100% Parry chance during the channel.
- Ride the Wind causes Flying Serpent Kick to increase the movement speed of allies in its path by 30%. This applies to yourself. Also increases Flying Serpent Kicks cooldown by 10 seconds.
- Pressure Points causes Touch of Death to instantly kill targets below 10% Health. Additionally, it has its cooldown reset if the target dies while Touch of Death is still active.
- Tigereye Brew generates stacks of Tigereye Brew whenever you spend 3 Chi. Using these stacks makes your attacks bypass armor but deal slightly less damage for 2 seconds per stack.
- Yu'lon's Gift causes Flying Serpent Kick to remove any snares. However, this does not work on daze (the slow from being dismounted).
Azerite Essences and PvP Talents
The PvP-obtained Azerite Essence, Conflict and Strife, provides you the Reverse Harm talent for all content. It is the strongest available Azerite Essence for every content, including outdoor content, as this is the best PvP talent for it.
- 29 Jan. 2020: Page updated to clarify suggestion and correct an error in the talent tree.
- 14 Jan. 2020: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Jul. 2019: This page has been updated to mention the impact of Azerite Essences.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for 8.1.
- 17 Aug. 2018: Added War Mode talents.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Encrypted Shadowlands Alpha Build 126.96.36.199411
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 19th
- WoW Shadowlands Alpha Added to Battle.net Catalog
- Ny'alotha Mythic WF Race, Conclusion: Top 10, N'Zoth Nerf, Limit Tank Goes to Method, Asia Upset and More
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug" List Update: February 19th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 18th
- Burning Crusade Timewalking Event (February 18th - February 25th)
- UI API Change for UnitHealth
- Unholy Aoe Question
- Rustbolt Resistance
- Demonology Warlock 8.3
- Colossus Smash!?
- Protection Warrior 8.3
- Mage Leveling Guide