Assassination Rogue PvP Best Arena Compositions (Shadowlands / 9.1)
Team composition in 2v2 or 3v3 Arena is very important, because not all classes work well together. Here, we give you the best compositions you can have for your Assassination Rogue (i.e., the best classes to pair with it).
This page is part of our Assassination Rogue PvP Guide.
Assassination Rogue in 2v2 is only played with a healer. The comp can be played two different ways depending on the comp you face. The first way is to simply train one single target while dealing as much damage as possible, and having your healer use crowd control abilities on the enemy healer when you use your Kidney Shot on your target, if possible. The second way is to cleave on both enemy targets with your Garrote, Rupture, and your poisons in order to slowly kill them both while putting as much pressure as you can on your main target. In both scenarios you will burst down one target every time you have a Kidney Shot. The recently-added Hemotoxin ability makes those bursts a lot harder to heal, as you usually use Shiv alongside your Kidney Shot for maximum damage.
You will attack only one target when facing a comp that makes it difficult to apply your bleeds to both enemies. Usually it will be the case against casters that are too dangerous when left alone to cast, such as a Mage or a Warlock. Their healer will most likely be far from them so you will lose uptime by going from a target to another, and it might prove difficult to come back to your initial target after you've successfully applied your bleeds to the enemy healer. Meanwhile they will be casting damaging spells, resetting their cooldowns, and controlling you or your healer without you being able to stop them. For that reason you want to secure as much uptime as possible on the enemy DPS and try to drain their healer's Mana, or simply out-damage their healing in dampening. Of course if the enemy healer comes very close to you you should use this opportunity to apply your bleeds to them as Assassination Rogues are more powerful when multiple targets are poisoned and bleeding thanks to the passive Venomous Wounds. Do not forget to watch the enemy healer while doing damage to their DPS as they might try to crown control your own healer. Throwing a Poisoned Knife their way to slow them and allow your healer to escape or land his crowd control ability first can change the outcome of a game.
Against everything else you will want to have your bleeds on multiple targets. As mentioned just above the passive Venomous Wounds will grant you more energy if you keep your bleeds on several targets while keeping them poisoned. This will greatly increase your overall damage output. Of course you will still have a main target that you use Kidney Shot on as well as your single target damaging abilities such as Shiv and Envenom, but both enemies will be losing health at all times because of your damage over time effects. That will be very taxing for the enemy healer's mana and as dampening goes up it will become very difficult for them to keep their entire team at full health. From this point onwards every single Kidney Shot of yours will be devastating, and a potential kill.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 2v2:
- Assassination Rogue + Discipline Priest
- Assassination Rogue + Holy Priest
- Assassination Rogue + Restoration Druid
- Assassination Rogue + Restoration Shaman
The way to play Assassination Rogue in 3v3 is similar to 2v2, in a way. If you are playing a setup composition, such as Rogue/Mage/Priest, you will attack only one target at a time, and if you play a rot comp, such as Rogue/Shadow Priest/Shaman, you will apply your DoTs to multiple enemies so that it is easier to swap to a new target. The key difference is that since there is a third enemy it will be harder to setup your kills without being denied. As Assassination Rogue you have limited ways to access Stealth-based abilities, so you do not have a lot of options to control enemies. You will have to coordinate with your team so that you press your Kidney Shot when they are able to land crowd control abilities on the targets you are not attacking. That way you will be able to have deadly Kidney Shot goes on your kill target and secure kills. Of course, in the opener you have access to Sap, Cheap Shot, and Garrote to help with the crowd control, for deadlier setups.
Here is a list of the best team compositions for 3v3:
- RMP (Assassination Rogue + Fire Mage + Holy Priest)
- RMPally (Assassination Rogue + Fire Mage + Holy Paladin)
- RPS (Assassination Rogue + Shadow Priest + Restoration Shaman)
- RLS (Assassination Rogue + Destruction Warlock + Restoration Shaman)
- 03 Jul. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 06 Apr. 2021: Rewritten by Shadenox and further updated for Patch 9.0.5.
- 12 Mar. 2021: No Updates needed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Monk Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196)
- Two In-Game Paintings Desexualized in Patch 9.1.5
- Demon Hunter Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196)
- Legendary Scrapping in Patch 9.1.5: How to Destroy Legendaries into Materials
- Death Knight Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40196)
- A Preview of All New Druid Travel Forms Coming in Patch 9.1.5
- New 9.1.5 Highmountain Tauren Customizations
- Tempest Keep Classic Cleared World First by Salad Bakers in a Little Over an Hour