Assassination Rogue DPS Spec, Builds, and Talents — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Assassination Rogue in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
- 1. Talent Choices for Assassination Rogue
- 2. Talent Cheat Sheets for Assassination Rogue
- 3. Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Assassination Rogue
- 4. Tier 2 (Level 30) Talents for Assassination Rogue
- 5. Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents for Assassination Rogue
- 6. Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents for Assassination Rogue
1. Talent Choices for Assassination Rogue
|15||✓ Master Poisoner||✓ Elaborate Planning||✓ Blindside|
|30||✗ Nightstalker||✓ Subterfuge||? Master Assassin|
|45||✓ Vigor||✓ Deeper Stratagem||? Marked for Death|
|60||? Leeching Poison||✓ Cheat Death||? Elusiveness|
|75||✗ Internal Bleeding||? Iron Wire||✓ Prey on the Weak|
|90||? Venom Rush||✓ Toxic Blade||? Exsanguinate|
|100||✓ Poison Bomb||? Hidden Blades||? Crimson Tempest|
Talents can be freely changed when out of combat and in a rested XP area (such as an inn or a capital city). Moreover, Tome of the Tranquil Mind and Codex of the Tranquil Mind can be used to temporarily allow players to change talents anywhere, as long as they are out of combat.
2. Talent Cheat Sheets for Assassination Rogue
2.1. Poison Build
The build is the standard choice for most encounters, focusing on dealing high and sustained single target damage.
- Level 15: Elaborate Planning
- Level 30: Subterfuge
- Level 45: Vigor
- Level 60: Cheat Death
- Level 75: Prey on the Weak
- Level 90: Toxic Blade
- Level 100: Poison Bomb
3. Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|✔ Master Poisoner||✔ Elaborate Planning||✔ Blindside|
- Master Poisoner increases your poisons' damage by 30% and their non-damaging effects by 20% (does not affect Poison Bomb or Envenom).
- Elaborate Planning grants 10% damage for 4 seconds after using a finishing move.
- Blindside is an active ability that can only be used against targets that have 30% or less health. It costs 30 Energy and deals Physical damage. Using Mutilate has a 25% chance to make your next Blindside free of cost and usable regardless of target health.
Master Poisoner is the simplest choice, and able to compete for top spot in some builds.
Elaborate Planning can be useful on AoE, as you get much higher uptime on it due to the increased frequency of finishers.
4. Tier 2 (Level 30) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|✘ Nightstalker||✔ Subterfuge||? Master Assassin|
Tier 2 talents improve your Stealth functionality.
- Nightstalker increases movement speed by 20% and damage by 50% while Stealth is active.
- Subterfuge allows abilities requiring Stealth to be used for an additional 3 seconds after Stealth breaks. Garrote also has no cooldown when used from Stealth and deals 100% additional damage while Subterfuge or Stealth is active.
- Master Assassin grants you 50% increased Critical Strike chance for 3 seconds after breaking stealth.
5. Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|✔ Vigor||✔ Deeper Stratagem||? Marked for Death|
- Vigor increases your maximum Energy by 50 and your Energy regeneration by 10%.
- Deeper Stratagem increases your maximum Combo Points to 6, allows finishing moves to consume 6 Combo Points, and increases the damage of finishing moves by 5%.
- Marked for Death marks a target and instantly generates 5 Combo Points. The cooldown is reset if the marked target dies.
Vigor is the best choice when using a default build and offers great ease and flexibility of play.
Deeper Stratagem can be very useful in sustained many targets AoE, as it reduces the waste of Combo Points, and makes each cast more efficient.
Marked for Death is useful for fights with a large number of short-lived adds, as it allows you to quickly get resets. It is also fairly useful if you need a bit more of very quick burst.
6. Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|? Leeching Poison||✔ Cheat Death||? Elusiveness|
Tier 4 talents improve your personal survivability.
- Leeching Poison improves your Deadly Poison and Wound Poison, causing them to also grant 10% leech to your damage.
- Cheat Death causes fatal damage to instead reduce you to 7% of your maximum health and grant 85% reduced damage taken for 3 seconds. Cheat Death cannot save you from damage greater than double your maximum health. It has a 6-minute cooldown.
- Elusiveness causes Feint to also grant 30% reduced damage taken from all sources.
Cheat Death is the default choice for most encounters. The extra safety net will often be invaluable and can even be used to soak certain mechanics.
7. Tier 5 (Level 75) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|✘ Internal Bleeding||? Iron Wire||✔ Prey on the Weak|
Tier 5 talents improve your crowd control utility.
- Internal Bleeding causes your Kidney Shot to also apply a bleed to target.
- Iron Wire increases the duration of Garrote's silence effect, and causes enemies silenced by it to deal 15% reduced damage for 8 seconds.
- Prey on the Weak causes enemies disabled by Cheap Shot, Dismantle, or Kidney Shot to take 10% increased damage from all sources for 6 seconds.
Iron Wire is very situational, but can be helpful in reducing the tank's damage taken when fighting mobs that can be silenced.
Prey on the Weak is the best choice if your raid needs to incapacitate and eliminate a priority add quickly.
8. Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|? Venom Rush||✔ Toxic Blade||? Exsanguinate|
Tier 6 talents alter your playstyle significantly.
- Venom Rush causes Mutilate to refunds 5 Energy when used against a poisoned target.
- Toxic Blade stabs the enemy, dealing heavy Nature damage and increasing the damage your poisons do against the target by 30% for 9 seconds. Generates 1 Combo Point.
- Exsanguinate causes your bleed effects to bleed out 100% faster when activated.
Toxic Blade is the go to choice, due to increasing all poison damage (it affects Poison Bomb and Envenom), and generally providing consistent damage, letting you get at least two Envenoms into each window.
9. Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents for Assassination Rogue
|✔ Poison Bomb||? Hidden Blades||? Crimson Tempest|
Tier 7 talents offer some additional damage utility.
- Poison Bomb causes your Envenom and Rupture have a 4% chance per Combo Point spent to smash a vial of poison at the target's location, creating a pool of acidic death that deals Nature damage over 2 seconds to all enemies within it.
- Hidden Blades increases the damage for your next Fan of Knives by 20%, every 2 seconds, stacking up to 20 times.
- Crimson Tempest is a finishing move that slashes at all enemies within 10 yards, dealing instant damage and causing victims to bleed for additional damage; bleed duration scales with the number of Combo Points used.
Poison Bomb is the best choice in on single target, and easiest on AoE, as long as enemies are stacked together.
10. PvP Talents (War Mode)
In Battle for Azeroth, there will be the option to go into "War Mode". Enabling War Mode provides the following benefits:
- PvP talents enabled in the outdoor world.
- 10% increase in World Quest rewards at maximum level.
- 10% more experience gained while leveling.
- Earn Conquest Points which can reward gear every week.
With the benefits of enabling War Mode for leveling and PvE content, it is recommended to enable the feature to maximize your leveling and rewards at maximum level. However, you will make yourself available for open world PvP, and the possibility to be "ganked" while leveling or doing World Quests exists.
10.1. Assassination Rogue War Mode Talents
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of both General PvP Talents and Assassination Rogue-specific PvE talents.
10.1.1. General PvP Talents
- Adaptation is likely your most passive choice since it will automatically remove loss of control effects over 5 seconds. It is recommended for leveling to take this PvP talent.
- Gladiator's Medallion is an on-use ability that removes all movement impairing effects and all loss of control effects.
- Relentless is also a passive ability but it does not automatically remove crowd control abilities, but instead reduces the duration.
10.1.2. Assassination Rogue PvP Talents
- System Shock deals nature damage and slows enemy's movement speed by 90% for 2 seconds, when you use Envenom on targets afflicted with your Garrote, Rupture, and Lethal Poison . It is fairly good as it is a passive damage gain, and can be useful if you need to run away, without having other crowd-control options available.
- Creeping Venom adds a 4-second Nature damage DoT to Envenom casts, the duration of which is refreshed when the target moves. It is another good talent, as it also passively boosts damage, and can be easily refreshed by simply side stepping.
- Flying Daggers causes Fan of Knives to have 50% greater radius and damage, when it hits 3 or more enemies. This can be very effective when combined with Fan of Knives and Nightstalker, as it greatly increases your burst capabilities.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Minor changes for Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 29 Jul. 2018: Fixed a typo.
- 22 Jul. 2018: Split talents based on gear build (T21 4p vs T21 4p, T20 2p).
- Warsong Gulch & Honor System Testing on Classic Beta
- Blizzard's Looking for Essences Feedback
- How to Play World of Warcraft With a Controller
- N'zoth Whispers on Live Servers
- Conflict and Strife Essence Power Clarification
- Second Classic Stress Test Coming on May 29th
- WoW Classic Addons: TukUI
- Patch 8.2: Conflict and Strife PvP Essence
- Shadow Priest PvP 8.1.5
- Destruction Warlock 8.1.5
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Mistweaver Monk 8.1.5
- Paladin Leveling Guide
- Protection Paladin 8.1.5
- Elemental Shaman 8.1.5
- Balance Druid 8.1.5