Discipline Priest Healing Spec, Builds, and Talents — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find out the best talents for each tier for your Discipline Priest in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5. We also have default talent lists for various types of content, such as raiding or Mythic+. If you play with Warmode on, we have your PvP talents covered as well.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Healer Priest talents.
Talent Choices for Discipline Priest
|15||✗ Castigation||✓ Twist of Fate||✓ Schism|
|25||✗ Body and Soul||? Masochism||✓ Angelic Feather|
|30||✗ Shield Discipline||✗ Mindbender||✓ Power Word: Solace|
|35||? Psychic Voice||✗ Dominant Mind||? Shining Force|
|40||✓ Sins of the Many||✗ Contrition||✗ Shadow Covenant|
|45||✓ Purge the Wicked||✓ Divine Star||✓ Halo|
|50||✓ Lenience||? Spirit Shell||✓ Evangelism|
Talents can be freely changed when out of combat and in a rested XP area (such as an inn or a capital city). Moreover, Tome of the Still Mind and Codex of the Still Mind can be used to temporarily allow players to change talents anywhere, as long as they are out of combat.
Talent Cheat Sheet for Discipline Priests
While optimizing talents on a contextual basis is the highly recommended method of setting up your build, the talent builds listed below work great for generalized purposes. To learn how to use the active ability talents. Take a look at our Discipline Priest Rotation guide.
The talent setup below is a good starting point for raiding. It is highly recommended you read the individual talent points further down the page, as level 30 and 50 talents in particular will change based on the specific encounter. For more information on specific talent builds per boss encounter in the current tier, please check out our Boss by Boss Discipline Priest Raid guide.
- Level 15: Schism
- Level 25: Angelic Feather
- Level 30: Power Word: Solace
- Level 35: Any
- Level 40: Sins of the Many
- Level 45: Purge the Wicked / Divine Star / Halo
- Level 50: Evangelism
The talent setup below is a good starting point for dungeons. This build is your standard Mythic+ build. For more information on talent selection in Mythic+ content, please check out our M+ guide for Discipline Priest.
- Level 15: Twist of Fate
- Level 25: Angelic Feather
- Level 30: Power Word: Solace
- Level 35: Any
- Level 40: Sins of the Many
- Level 45: Purge the Wicked / Divine Star
- Level 50: Lenience
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents for Discipline Priests
|✘ Castigation||✔ Twist of Fate||✔ Schism|
- Castigation causes Penance to fire an extra bolt of holy light over its 2-second duration (thus increasing its damage, and through Atonement, increasing your healing).
- Twist of Fate grants you a 10-second buff each time you heal a target whose health is below 35%. The buff grants you 20% increased damage and 20% increased healing, and it does not stack.
- Schism is an active ability with a 24-second cooldown. It deals Shadow damage to the target, and causes your damage dealt to that target to be increased by 25% for the next 9 seconds.
Twist of Fate is our primary recommendation for Mythic Plus content due to the more single-target-focused damage profiles as well as the frequency of high damage resulting in much higher uptime compared to when used in Raids.
Castigation is a relatively weak talent in this tier and is not recommended for any content.
Tier 2 (Level 25) Talents for Discipline Priests
|✘ Body and Soul||? Masochism||✔ Angelic Feather|
- Body and Soul causes Power Word: Shield and Leap of Faith to increase the targets movement speed by 40% for 3 seconds.
- Masochism causes Shadow Mend's DoT to act as a HoT instead, when cast on yourself, and also causes you to take 10% reduced damage while it is active.
- Angelic Feather is an active ability with 3 charges and a 20-second recharge time. It places a feather at the targeted location, which grants a 40% increase in movement speed for 5 seconds to the first ally who comes in contact with it. Only 3 feathers can be active at any given time.
Angelic Feather is the recommended choice in this tier if you wish to provide movement speed increases. It is much more flexible and easy to use than Body and Soul, since the latter is tied to usage of Power Word: Shield.
Masochism should only be taken if you have no need to provide movement speed buffs, or if you are assigned to some specific tasks during the encounter that put you in danger and therefore require that you heal yourself. In most cases, movement speed will be better than a minimal buff to survivability.
Body and Soul can have some niche uses depending on the encounter. It should not be used unless you have a clear understanding of why you are taking it. Angelic Feather is the better option in most scenarios.
Tier 3 (Level 30) Talents for Discipline Priests
|✘ Shield Discipline||✘ Mindbender||✔ Power Word: Solace|
- Shield Discipline causes you to gain 0.5% of your maximum Mana whenever one of your Power Word: Shield is completely consumed by damage.
- Mindbender replaces Shadowfiend. Mindbender has a 1-minute cooldown and 12-second duration (down from a 3-minute cooldown and 15-second duration for Shadowfiend), and it restores 0.5% of your maximum Mana with each of its attacks.
- Power Word: Solace is an active ability with a 15-second cooldown. It deals Holy damage to the target, and restores 1% of your maximum Mana.
For raiding content Power Word: Solace will be your default pick. Mindbender has potential on a boss-by-boss basis depending on how often you are looking to utilize Spirit Shell or Evangelism. For Mythic Plus content, both can be used effectively. There, Solace can provide more mobility and leave access to the stronger Shadowfiend cooldown for difficult moments while Mindbender can provide a more frequent, smaller cooldown.
Shield Discipline is not ideal in most situations currently due to it being rather lacking in providing any throughput as well as it being so comparable to the Mana savings provided by Power Word: Solace.
Tier 4 (Level 35) Talents for Discipline Priests
|? Psychic Voice||✘ Dominant Mind||? Shining Force|
- Psychic Voice reduces the cooldown of Psychic Scream by 30 seconds.
- Dominant Mind changes Mind Control to allow you to also control your own character during this time (by turning the mind-controlled target into a pet). However, Mind Control can no longer be used against players, and it gains a 2-minute cooldown (up from not having a cooldown).
- Shining Force is an active ability with a 45-second cooldown. It knocks back all enemies located around your (friendly) target, slowing their movement speed by 70% for 3 seconds.
For raiding, Shining Force has the most potential utility in this tier. Encounters that require mobs to be knocked back to avoid them interacting with another mechanic are ideal for this talent. Shining Force is also ideal in Mythic+ when you need to move mobs out of Sanguine or knock mobs back away from the tank to drop Necrotic stacks.
Dominant Mind very rarely sees any play in its current iteration.
Psychic Voice is normally not an ideal talent unless you expect that you would need to fear frequently in dungeon content, which is not common.
Tier 5 (Level 40) Talents for Discipline Priests
|✔ Sins of the Many||✘ Contrition||✘ Shadow Covenant|
- Sins of the Many provides a damage / healing buff decreasing with each Atonement in your group to a minimum of 3%.
- Contrition provides Atonement healing when using Penance defensively (on an ally).
- Shadow Covenant is an instant cast spell with a 30 second cooldown that heals up to 5 allies within 30 yards of the target. It then increases the damage and healing of your Shadow Spells by 25% for 9 seconds, but prevents you from casting Holy spells for the duration of said buff.
Currently, the best talent for raiding and dungeons is Sins of the Many. Shadow Covenant, despite its potential upsides, brings significant risk in Mythic Plus content due to locking yourself out of important utility for a duration. In Raid content, the potential minimal HPS (healing per second) increase is generally not worth the significantly worse HPM (healing per Mana). Contrition will, in most cases, never be touched as its mathematically inferior to the other choices.
We would like to note that Sins of the Many does not linearly decrease the damage increase it provides, however, it decreases as shown in the table below based on the number of Atonements you currently have out:
Tier 6 (Level 45) Talents for Discipline Priests
|✔ Purge the Wicked||✔ Divine Star||✔ Halo|
- Purge the Wicked replaces Shadow Word: Pain. It deals Fire instead of Shadow damage, and it lasts 20 seconds (up from 18). While Purge the Wicked is active, using Penance on the target causes Purge the Wicked to be applied to another nearby enemy target.
- Divine Star is an active ability with a 15-second cooldown. It resembles a yo-yo, in the sense that a ball of energy travels in a path away from you (in front of you), and after reaching a certain point (24 yards away), it returns. Both on the first, as well as on the second trip, it heals allies and damages enemies in its path.
- Halo is an active ability with a 40-second cooldown and a 1.5-second cast time. It creates a ring around you that expands in radius (up to 30 yards). Allies who come in contact with it are healed, and enemies are damaged.
All three talents on this row are viable and should be chosen depending on the situation at hand. Halo is best in raid situations where there is only a single target to hit. Purge the Wicked does 10% more damage than Shadow Word: Pain and has the ability to cleave the DoT to nearby targets, making this a viable option in raids or dungeons when you can get sufficient uptime on the DoT or have additional targets available to cleave it to. Divine Star is strong in situations where your group/raid spends a significant amount of time grouped up and the damage intake is frequent.
Tier 7 (Level 50) Talents for Discipline Priests
|✔ Lenience||? Spirit Shell||✔ Evangelism|
- Lenience provides a buff to your Atonement targets reducing damage taken by 3%.
- Spirit Shell is an active ability with a 90-second cooldown which replaces Rapture. Spirit Shell causes your healing from Atonement, Penance, and Power Word: Radiance to create an absorption shield on the ally, at reduced effectiveness, instead of healing them.
- Evangelism is an active ability with a 90-second cooldown that extends the duration of all your active Atonement buffs by 6 seconds.
We recommend Evangelism for raiding in most situations. Spirit Shell can be used in niche situations where you are worried about the raid dying in a single hit and you need the increased effective health pool.
Lenience is recommended for dungeon content and a very niche pick in raiding.
PvP Talents (War Mode)
In Shadowlands, there remains the option to go into "War Mode". Enabling War Mode provides the following benefits:
- PvP talents enabled in the outdoor world.
- 10% increase in World Quest rewards at maximum level.
- 10% more experience gained while leveling.
- Earn Conquest Points which can reward gear every week.
With the benefits of enabling War Mode for PvE content minimal this expansion, it is not recommended to enable the feature, especially when within The Maw. War Mode remains an attractive option for leveling purposes due to the increased experience gain.
Discipline Priest War Mode Talents
In this section we will rank the PvP talents best for leveling and doing solo / small group PvE content. Below is a ranking of Discipline Priest-specific PvP talents. For more information on what is valuable in a competitive PvP setting instead of open world focused, please take a look at our PvP guide.
Discipline Priest PvP Talents
- Blaze of Light increases the damage of your Smite and Penance by 15% while also adding a slow/movespeed increase to Penance. This is a decent DPS increase making soloing as Discipline easier.
- Inner Light and Shadow is a toggleable ability that grants you either 10% increased spell damage and Atonement healing or 15% less Mana cost on healing spells. Leaving this on the damage increase portion while leveling will result in a solid DPS and survivability gain.
- Dark Archangel increases your damage, and the damage of all allies with your Atonement by 15% for 8 seconds. This is great for soloing or small group world content.
Trinity, Dome of Light, Purification, Purified Resolve, Strength of Soul, and Ultimate Radiance have limited on PvE content in terms of increasing your damage in the open world, or healing in a small group setting.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Page updated for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Removed outdated reference and updated description for the Level 30 tier.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Updated talent recommendations prior to Castle Nathria release.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated talent recommendations based on Shadowlands tuning and changes.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Awesome Hard Mode 4 Ahn'Qiraj Season of Mastery World First Clear Video
- Anduin as the Lich King (AI-Generated Art Piece)
- Wrath of the Lich King Classic Beta Invite Wave Went Out
- Patch 9.2.5 Hotfixes: June 24th - Class Tuning
- Upcoming Class Tuning: June 28th
- Will Dragonflight Release in November 2022?
- Dragonflight Pre-Order Pet Double the Size of the Player Character
- Naxxramas New Season of Mastery Features Teased